Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ridiculous numbers I heard about the WNBA (salaries)

Quote Originally Posted by sonicman
    I find it shocking they are making that much... who watches the WNBA?

honestly, i think they are grossly underpaid. their boobies jiggle up and down and stuff when they run up the court and that must be extremely annoying.

okay, but to be serious, i do think they are extremely underpaid. i probably have a different opinion than most though, as my mom's best friend (whom i am very close to) has been a huge fan of the wnba since day one, and i would usually watch LA sparks games with her. honestly, i think they're terrific athletes and the games were actually really fun to watch. if you really don't think they play on a high level, try actually watching a game, i think you'll be surprised. they're professional athletes and they're excellent at what they do. making approximately 50k per year compared to their male counterparts where the absolute ****tiest players make tons more than that for playing maybe 3 minutes a game if their team is up by 20 with 5 minutes left in the fourth quarter is ridiculous.

National High School Star

The WNBA loses about 12 million dollars a year. Every year. For the past decade.

Let's put some things into perspective people.

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    when that league starts to turn a profit, gets massive TV deals and sells a ton of merchandise, the women will make more money. Its as simple as that.

BTW, what moron thinks maxing out at $97,000 to play a damn kids game is unfair?

The minimum they can make is $34,000. The Ls average is $45,000.

They only play 34 games.

they are fairly compensated.

and BTW, I'd LOVE to make $34,000 to play 34 games of ball a year.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

I've once read that top players like Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, etc plays in Europe during WNBA off season and earning much higher salary there (with additional facilities : housing, car with driver)

Since european league has foreign players quota, many of them somehow manage to obtain european countries passport to qualify as "local players".
    That's explained why Becky Hammond is now a Russian national team players.

Dunking on everybody in the park bumpyknucks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Djax12
    I've once read that top players like Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, etc plays in Europe during WNBA off season and earning much higher salary there (with additional facilities : housing, car with driver)

Good point. They all play overseas and do quite well. You have to also factor in how short the WNBA season is. Just playing in the WNBA ensures that those girls get good gigs playing overseas where they get paid over eight months, then can make some money in the summers playing in the WNBA....not a bad summer gig..which is all it is.

Fantasy Forum Mod haterofhaters's Avatar

I heard that Lisa Leslie rakes in close to a million with all of her endorsements and stuff.

Gots Ta Be Li Showtam! The Magic Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    when that league starts to turn a profit, gets massive TV deals and sells a ton of merchandise, the women will make more money. Its as simple as that.

BTW, what moron thinks maxing out at $97,000 to play a damn kids game is unfair?

The minimum they can make is $34,000. The Ls average is $45,000.

They only play 34 games.

they are fairly compensated.

and BTW, I'd LOVE to make $34,000 to play 34 games of ball a year.
    My thoughts exactly. I do make more than that, but I would gladly trade my salary for that amount if I only had to work 34 days a year. It's freakin' basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by The Magic Man
    My thoughts exactly. I do make more than that, but I would gladly trade my salary for that amount if I only had to work 34 days a year. It's freakin' basketball.
    I'm pretty sure most of them have to have jobs during the off-season. 34 grand isn't a lot to live off of for a year. Especially if you have a family to support.

Pelican Brief

I really feel for the WNBA. I like Candace Parker and actually watched a few Sparks games. They are really far away from being anywhere close to exciting. I enjoy the college games way more if that makes any sense. Its probably the crowds.

At this pace they wont be around too much longer. Thats sad but it is what it is.

Gots Ta Be Li Showtam! The Magic Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by haterofhaters
    I'm pretty sure most of them have to have jobs during the off-season. 34 grand isn't a lot to live off of for a year. Especially if you have a family to support.

That's my point. It's not like they are working 365 for that amount. There are other things to do to supplement your income. It's like cheerleaders. They don't make crap. They all work when not shakin it at home games.

My dad used to work the docks in Ontario back in the late-50s/early-60s with NHL players from the Maple Leafs (and CFL players too) who needed an off-season job to supplement their income. Off-season jobs used to be very common in pro sports, it has only been recently that salaries have gotten high enough to allow them to rest during the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by The Magic Man
    That's my point. It's not like they are working 365 for that amount. There are other things to do to supplement your income. It's like cheerleaders. They don't make crap. They all work when not shakin it at home games.
    The funny thing is, cheerleaders (at least NBA cheerleaders) probably get paid at least as much as most WNBA players, and some who model on the side make significantly more than that.

Bucks fan

Even the lowest earning players, pulling down $34k a year don't have it so bad. I know all sorts of people who are worse off than that financially. I also know plenty of people who earn a lot more than that, but would trade places in a second.

Playing basketball for a living and making enough so that you can afford to eat and hold an apartment? Compared to 99% of humans on planet earth, that is a pure dream lifestyle.