Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    That's Turr'ble

Default Was it really Allen Iverson who started wearing the long sleeve arm band?

In 2010 it seems like every baller and their mamas are using it. It's stylish and I like it. I use it too sometimes. But who started wearing it?
    I remember AI rockin' it in 2001, I can't think of anybody else.

Default Re: Was it really Allen Iverson who started wearing the long sleeve arm band?

Even if he didnt START it, he's the one who made it popular.

Default Re: Was it really Allen Iverson who started wearing the long sleeve arm band?

oh you mean the prom dress sleeve? yeah its sexy on women. couldn't care less on a dude lol

what is it for?

Sports Illustrated - March 5, 2001

Q. What's Allen Iverson wearing on his right arm?

A. Rest assured, that tube-sock thing drawing attention on Iverson's arm is not some sort of bizarre tattoo. It's a sleeve specially made to protect Iverson from aggravating the chronic bursitis in his elbow. The outside of the sleeve is a tubular elastic bandage called a Compressogrip, which helps control swelling. It also holds in place a flexible plastic case containing a cushioning material called Orthogel, which fits around Iverson's elbow and protects it when he dives to the floor for a loose ball.

The sleeve seems to be the answer for the Answer. Since donning it for the first time, in mid-January, Iverson has been scoring more than 37 points per game, an increase of about 10 from his pre-sleeve average. More important for Iverson, he hasn't experienced any bursitis flare-ups. "I've gone through a variety of elbow pads with him this season, but we've finally found something that works," says Sixers trainer Lenny Currier. "As you can tell from his hair, Allen's a meticulous person, and the pad needs to fit just right."

I remember one of the older kids at a Swedish youth tournament, he was wearing a complete spandex like set underneath his jersey and shorts. He was covered from the neck down, like a wet suit. I'm sure he thought it was cool because it said under armor or whatever, but that shit was funny as hell. I've never seen those used except for football and such.

Local High School Star Harrison_Barnes's Avatar

Hes the one who made it popular.

NBA Superstar

If someone wore it before him, I cannot recall anyone wearing it as extensively as Iverson. Like someone else mentioned, I believe it was he who made it popular. I think he may have been close to being responsible for a handful of other fads as well. I can't say he was the sole contributer, but those little finger bands and cornrows both came into style right around his time. But again, he could have just as well be riding the cornrow wave as much as creating it.

Also, remember the headband craze, when the entire Hornets team (except Derrick Coleman) rocked them for the 2001 playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    what is it for?
    It helps keep everything tight and conformed as well as keep your arm warm. I find it hilarious that a lot of players were it on the opposite shooting arm, it makes no sense.

Serious playground baller Monkey D Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    what is it for?

it WAS for AI to cover his tattoo but now its the New Style that suppose to help ur arm

Dunking on everybody in the park laronprofit9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    Sports Illustrated - March 5, 2001

Q. What's Allen Iverson wearing on his right arm?

A. Rest assured, that tube-sock thing drawing attention on Iverson's arm is not some sort of bizarre tattoo. It's a sleeve specially made to protect Iverson from aggravating the chronic bursitis in his elbow. The outside of the sleeve is a tubular elastic bandage called a Compressogrip, which helps control swelling. It also holds in place a flexible plastic case containing a cushioning material called Orthogel, which fits around Iverson's elbow and protects it when he dives to the floor for a loose ball.

The sleeve seems to be the answer for the Answer. Since donning it for the first time, in mid-January, Iverson has been scoring more than 37 points per game, an increase of about 10 from his pre-sleeve average. More important for Iverson, he hasn't experienced any bursitis flare-ups. "I've gone through a variety of elbow pads with him this season, but we've finally found something that works," says Sixers trainer Lenny Currier. "As you can tell from his hair, Allen's a meticulous person, and the pad needs to fit just right."
    This is a good explanation.

I also read that AI would wear the sleave because Rip Hamilton would grow his nail really long for the playoffs and scratch people while playing defense. Now that is comedy. Using his fingernails as a defensive scheme. Someone else wore the sleave because of Rip also, don't remember who exactly, maybe Ray Allen?

They look dumb and should be illegal. You got guys wearing so much protective gear now they look like football players.

High School Varsity 6th Man Ben Jordan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    They look dumb and should be illegal. You got guys wearing so much protective gear now they look like football players.
    THIS

Have you seen Lebron's under armor? no wonder he can take so much contact when he drives the lane

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

I think AI was also the first NBA player to wear cornrows. He was definitely a trend setter!