Default OT: Can you jump on a freethrow?

if so, has anyone?

can you run? like a runner?

does it have to be a set shot?

Can you shoot the freethrow from the 3 pt line?

Can you shoot the free throw from the elbow? or does it have to be in the middle of the lane?

Banned

Default Re: OT: Can you jump on a freethrow?

can you run? like a runner?

You have to be given the ball in the free throw semi-circle so maybe on a very small run-up...

does it have to be a set shot?

No rules state it must be.

Can you shoot the freethrow from the 3 pt line?

No, it has to be taken in the free throw semi-circle.

Can you shoot the free throw from the elbow? or does it have to be in the middle of the lane?

Once again, it has to be in that semi-circle so you could shoot it from the right or left of that circle...

This is my response after skimming through the rulebook on nba.com: http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_9....av=ArticleList

Banned

A bigger reason why none are done is because if its running or jumping, they will get ridiculed by team mates. And if they do anything different then practised stuff.. the coaching staff will become irrate.

Stay Strong Droth

You can jump on the free throw, but the shooter cannot pass or even touch the line before the ball hits the rim or goes in the basket (im not sure about if the ball only touches the backboard, I think the opposing team gets possession if it fails to touch the rim)

The main thing is to stay in the semi-circle, anywere. You can be a off on the side only if you stay in that area. If not, it is a lane violation, opposing team gets possesion and free throw attempt doesn't count at all.

I remember Nick the quick would shoot from the middle of the semi-circle on a stand still shot. I never knew why, but it worked for him.

I remember someone would shoot a jumping free-throw, but I can't remember who it was.

But players don't like to jump because it makes them look bad for some reason. and most guys take a routine to the line to help them shoot (Malone talking to himself, Arenas putting the ball around his waist, etc.) So they probably practice without jumping, so they do it in the game without jumping.
    Last edited by praneel; 12-28-2009 at 01:57 PM.

okay now, can you score from out of bounds?

Like if you inbound the ball, you cant throw it in the hoop can you?

Stay Strong Droth

Quote Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
    okay now, can you score from out of bounds?

Like if you inbound the ball, you cant throw it in the hoop can you?

hahahaha

I don't think so. I believe the ball must be inbounded before you can score. Otherwise it is still treated like it is out of bounds. Like if Odom instead of walking it inbounds, decides to heave it from the endline and somehow it goes it, I think it will be considered a loose ball. Once someone else touches it, then you can score.

Does anyone know if the ball is thrown from the opposite end, and bounces first, then goes into the hoop. Does that count as 2 pts and not 3? Even if it bounces before the 3 pt strip. I think that is the rule.

In NBA Live 2000, I tried to hoist up a shot at the end of a half, someone blocked it partially and it bounced at about the 3 pt line and still went it, but the points didn't count, they fckn jipped me. I wish you coulda saved the replay like nowadays. Thats something I would show my buddies and gloat a little.

Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan cotdt's Avatar

there used to be a jumping free throw shooter in the nba,he shot like 86%.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by praneel
    hahahaha

I don't think so. I believe the ball must be inbounded before you can score. Otherwise it is still treated like it is out of bounds. Like if Odom instead of walking it inbounds, decides to heave it from the endline and somehow it goes it, I think it will be considered a loose ball. Once someone else touches it, then you can score.

Does anyone know if the ball is thrown from the opposite end, and bounces first, then goes into the hoop. Does that count as 2 pts and not 3? Even if it bounces before the 3 pt strip. I think that is the rule.

In NBA Live 2000, I tried to hoist up a shot at the end of a half, someone blocked it partially and it bounced at about the 3 pt line and still went it, but the points didn't count, they fckn jipped me. I wish you coulda saved the replay like nowadays. Thats something I would show my buddies and gloat a little.
    Yes you can actually , you can do that in real life , david lee did it on 0.1 and dwight howard made it on a alley-hoop..

Local High School Star magicmanfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cotdt
    there used to be a jumping free throw shooter in the nba,he shot like 86%.
    Bob McAdoo shot a type of jumper from the line... but his
    average was 75-80% in his healthy years.

Stay Strong Droth

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe8
    Yes you can actually , you can do that in real life , david lee did it on 0.1 and dwight howard made it on a alley-hoop..
    Yea, Lee got a lob pass from the inbounder. Didn't see the Dwight one so I shouldn't comment.

Lee didn't lob the ball to himself???? Someone passed it to him and he just tapped it in for the win. I think he was asking if the inbounder can score from out of bounds.