Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    National High School Star ILballa's Avatar

Default Re: Long Range Shots

Does anyone know the solution to my problem?

National High School Star crounsa810's Avatar

Most of it is mental. I know I used to suck at 3's but I could make it when I moved in an inch within the line. Just get out of your head that its a long shot. Don't worry about it. Just picture it as any other shot.

I did that, now I make multiple 3s every game. Of course, I can't shoot as well inside the 3, but I have to work on that again.

its all in your legs. there have been very few shooters who have a tippy toe jump shot. Larry Bird is one that comes to mind. you just need to bend your knees and use that power from your lower body.

NBA Finals

if it's going over the rim try putting less power into your jumpshot. if it's coming up short then put more into it, but either way IMO it's all in the release. Im one of the best shooters at my skool and i can make them standing on both feet or while jumping. Like i said, try shooting it harder/softer and develop a consistent rhythm. Dont shoot it like this, then like this, then 3 or 4 more differnt ways. You need muscle memory.

Dunking on everybody in the park mika's Avatar

the movie is still downloading for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mika
    the movie is still downloading for me.
    When did you start?

Dunking on everybody in the park mika's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ILballa
    When did you start?
    a couple days, the download speed is crawling.

I rule the local playground

Most people who have trouble shooting long range shots never use their legs. I'm 5'6 and about 130 and i can easily shoot from college 3 point and little farther out. You have to bend ur legs and bring the ball to the set point (the position right before u shoot ur shot). Then as you start pushing upwards with your leg for power you should start releasing the ball at the same time (this will provide one continuous motion). Ur arms and wrists when following through should almost feel effortless because most of the power will be coming from your legs. If you feel like your shot is underpowered right when you release the ball then you know you aren't using enough leg power.

Saw a basketball once

You should work on speeding up your release. If you can your shot off more quickly it increases range and accuracy. More info on my site streetball.com. You can click here to see me dunk.

Good High School Starter Splitz77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akif
    Er, your release isn't perfect. You look like you're shooting with both hands, as in, your left hand seems to be "flicking" as well. Practice just leaving your left hand there while your right hand shoots it. Your left hand is only there to keep the ball in your hands, you can't catch and shoot with one hand.

Also I realized your motion is different from the guys I know. You bring the ball up as you bend your knees. If you want a little more power, leave the ball in your shooting pocket as your bending your knees, so don't bring the ball up to your head yet. Leave it there as you lower yourself for power. Finally bring the ball up, jump and release at the same time.

Here's a picture of your shooting pocket in case you didn't understand :

The only thing I dont like about your form, (If that is you) is that you have both feet lined up with each other. That kind of form can cause cramping in your neck. Thats why you see more and more nba players put one foot slightly in front of the other. I put one foot out in front of the other as well.

I'm not saying your form is wrong, because it is one way to set up, Im just saying that with your feet lined up can cause cramping.

Local High School Star

It looks like this thread is pretty old, so I don't even know if the OP is still seeking help...but just in case...

Your form could be a lot better. You remind me a little of how I used to shoot when I was about that age. My favorite players were Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler, so I sort of created a hybrid of both their shooting motions. Kind of a two handed, above the head release.

It wasn't much of an issue because I played in the post my freshman year even though I was only 5'9". But going into the summer my coach told me to either grow or learn how to shoot. Otherwise, it was going to be hard for him to find me minutes on a higher level (JV or Varsity) squad.

Well I never did grow, but I learned how to shoot. It was really just a matter of working on it everyday and not overestimating my range. Distance shooting is something you really have to develop over time. With you, it's going to start with a change in form.

First, you need to get your right foot slightly ahead of your left. That will feel more natural with the movement of your upper body.

Second, you need to start with the ball lower. Right now you're not getting any momentum on your shot because you're range of motion is limited (from in front of you face and up). Think of it in terms of throwing a baseball. If you pull your arm back and throw, you're going to throw a lot harder and faster more easily than if you put your arm straight out in front of you and then try to throw it.

Last, and most importantly, bend your knees. It looks like you're getting very little leg into the shot, which makes it nearly impossible to shoot from deep with any kind of consistency unless your name is Sam Perkins.

Here's a video of me doing an exercise I call "Pick Ups" that is designed to help you create a habit of using your legs. I advise that you not start out as far as I do in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAh21alvdrU

And here's a video of me shooting from out of bounds (26 feet or so). It's probably better for showing proper form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5460Yo8G5XU

Hopefully you find this stuff helpful.

Saw a basketball once

im small, as in not a lot of muscle and i have no problem jacking up nba range threes.

I find it is mostly in the wrist. if you are having trouble reaching the distance of the basket, try flicking your wrist a lot harder and faster than with mid range shots. just shoot with a really quick release like ray allen.

mainly id say just flick HARDer with your wrist.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I think this is wildly overlooked in weight workouts, but one of the best excercises for basketball is forearm curls and forearm extensions. It's sort of the sister excercise to calf raises that are so overblown because they allegedly improve vertical. More importantly they help lateral movement.

But the forearm workouts will add range and quickness to your release, and they'll do it over a few months. They'll also tighten up your handle and give you more of a snap off the bounce.

The reason most guys have trouble with range is that they lengthen their throw motion from the elbow to try to make up for the extra distance. The problem with that is that small mistakes from that pivot point lead to bigger mistakes in the shot. It's a geometry problem really, based on circumference. A small distance change on a the inner part of a radius yields a much larger distance change on the outer part of the radius. The same is true of golf and baseball swings.

So if you're lifting weights, start doing these. They don't take a ton of time, and they don't require a lot of weight. Light weight, and max reps.

Also, as for the actual shooting, don't forget to focus on getting the ball up. A lot of guys will put so much into covering the extra distance that the shot becomes flat, and then even if you're reaching, and have incredible accuracy, you're really limiting what is and isn't a makable shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ILballa
    I'm unable to play the video after downloading it.
    Can anyone help me out?

Stroke looks fine just keep at it and try to increase your range little by little each day.