Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Default Re: Some Information regarding Kobe's 2006 season

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    This time he meant 2007, another season where you have to cut off a time period in order to adjust Kobe's stats, apparently.
    Oh boy. The Kobe stans have their own view on this it seems

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feeny
    You cant be this obtuse. I agreed with you over some of your points last time but with this, I cant see how anyone would try to argue that it's a complete coincidence that 5-6 all put up their career high in ppg all of a sudden right after the reinterpretation of the handcheckng rules only to see their scoring decrease significantly the following year.
    The rules were changed PRIOR to the '05 season. The same rules are still in place today as well. You keep ignoring this part of my post, BTW:

I'm just gonna say this one last thing. Kobe, arguably had his best season in '03. A season during which hand checking and illegal defenses were legal. It was a pretty efficient seasons as well, with percentages of 45/38/84. If you're going the route of saying that '06 onwards the scoring has been inflated because of the rule change, then you must admit that Kobe is unquestionably a better scorer than LeBron.

Kobe only averaged 30+ one more time the rest of the way and that was the following season after a sudden drop of of 4ppg
    Kobe averaged 30 PRIOR to the rule change as well. In '03. IIRC, he had his career high in assists that season as well. 30/7/6 on good efficiency.

If 2006 was right in the middle of Kobe's prime, then so was 2005 and he only averaged 27 ppg on 43%fg.
    Kobe was playing injured that season.

You can't possible be arguing that 2006 wasn't an anomaly. We can play hypothetical all we want. If any of those players were capable of scoring like they did in their 2006 season in later seasons, they would have .
    Instead, as the defenses adjusted and fouls were being called less frequently, they all found themselves bodied up and realised you can't shoot as much as you did that year and score as much. Defenders weren't allowed to guard anyone that season. They were afterwards. It took a year or 2. It wasn't an all of a sudden thing with every single player, but the difference was noticeable next season and was DRASTIC by 2008. Kobe wasn't anywhere near the scorer he was during the free handcheckng year. Neither was Michael redd. Neither were any of them.
    Wade, Bosh, Dirk, Redd, Melo, etc. all had higher PPG's before or after the '06 season.

Again, the rules were changed BEFORE the '05 season.

Quote Originally Posted by AutisticWater
    "the difference between 45% and 50% is just one shot" lol
    What's going on with the German education system?

Player A - 20 shots on 50% = 10 made FG's
    Player B - 20 shots on 45% = 9 made FG's

Simple math. Even a 10 year could do it.

Lets take a practical example.

LeBron - 27 PPG on 50% and 20 shots a game (10 made FG's)
    Bryant - 25 PPG on 45% and 20 shots a game (9 made FG's)

The 5% difference in FG% literally comes down to LeBron making one shot more than Kobe.

If you can't understand this, I really don't know if I can dumb it down further.

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    The rules were changed PRIOR to the '05 season. The same rules are still in place today as well. You keep ignoring this part of my post, BTW:

I'm just gonna say this one last thing. Kobe, arguably had his best season in '03. A season during which hand checking and illegal defenses were legal. It was a pretty efficient seasons as well, with percentages of 45/38/84. If you're going the route of saying that '06 onwards the scoring has been inflated because of the rule change, then you must admit that Kobe is unquestionably a better scorer than LeBron.

Kobe averaged 30 PRIOR to the rule change as well. In '03. IIRC, he had his career high in assists that season as well. 30/7/6 on good efficiency.

Kobe was playing injured that season.

Wade, Bosh, Dirk, Redd, Melo, etc. all had higher PPG's before or after the '06 season.

Again, the rules were changed BEFORE the '05 season.

What's going on with the German education system?

Player A - 20 shots on 50% = 10 made FG's
    Player B - 20 shots on 45% = 9 made FG's

Simple math. Even a 10 year could do it.

Lets take a practical example.

LeBron - 27 PPG on 50% and 20 shots a game (10 made FG's)
    Bryant - 25 PPG on 45% and 20 shots a game (9 made FG's)

The 5% difference in FG% literally comes down to LeBron making one shot more than Kobe.

If you can't understand this, I really don't know if I can dumb it down further.
    Ok this is a getting a little insulting now.

1-I wasn't ignoring a single post you made. Kobe scored 30 ppg in 2003 when he had single coverage and little defensive attention because he had the most dominant center of the past 2 decades in his team. He SHOULD be getting easier shots. He SHOULD be shooting better percentages. That's very different from Kobe doing it without that stacked Lakers team.

2- Kobe is NOT a better scorer than lebron james and it's it's a waste of my time even responding to a point this insane.

3- Kobe was most definitely NOT playing injured 2005. He got injured for 4 short weeks in February before coming back for the last 2 months of the season and stinking up the place by losing 20 of the last 22 games to choke away their playoff spot. He's spot hot 43% And less before and sense. Shooting that poorly is not an anomaly and doesn't have to be explained by talking about "injuries"

4- While that's true, it doesn't change the fact that Lebron, Kobe, Arenas, Redd, Pierce I believe, and plenty others all had career highs in the SAME season .
    To mention a bunch of players and say that they all had other individual seasons in which they topped their 2006 marks doesn't help that argument. If they all had their top individual ppg seasons coincidentally take place in the SAME season (let's say 2009 for example), you'd have a case.
    As it is their top ppg seasons are scattered randomly across their careers. In the meantime, many of the top perimeter players all had their careers highs in 2006 specifically. Not 2004. Not 2005. 2006. 2007.

I won't address the final point because it was intended to a.w. and he can argue on his behalf but you sound exactly the same as Kobe fanboys. The rest of the elite perimeter players in the league shoot close to 50% and one guy mysteriously shoots worse than everyone else year after year. Trying to minimise attention on the damage that does to a team is just strange.
    How many games come to the final possession or even finish with a <5 point loss.

Here's a scenario.
    Player A makes 8 of 20 shots and his team trail by 2 possessions with 50 seconds to go because he shot poorly up to that point. His team will play the foul game and end up inevitably losing, perhaps by more than 3-4 points as the other team hits foul shots they wouldn't have been provided with had the game been within a possession.

Player B (lebron) shot 9-10 of his 20 shots and it's a 1 possession game or even a tie game with 50 seconds to go. Don't you see how this changes the game completely?
    It's not even about the final score. Many games are between 3-5 points with a minute to go.

THAT is where the difference between 50% and 44% is huge. That is what changes the game and things go from being in the balance to out of reach.
    That one shot changes the game to a 2 possession game and the final score.

It's never more important than in the big games when the teams are close. And it's why a Lebron james is considered a much better scorer.

I guess I did address the last point lol.

1-I wasn't ignoring a single post you made. Kobe scored 30 ppg in 2003 when he had single coverage and little defensive attention because he had the most dominant center of the past 2 decades in his team. He SHOULD be getting easier shots. He SHOULD be shooting better percentages. That's very different from Kobe doing it without that stacked Lakers team.
    Bruh, you really should watch the Shaq-Kobe Laker games. Kobe was getting doubled/tripled a shit. Heck, it was even happening in the PO's. IIRC, Madsen and ImKobe posted a ton of gifs on this board.

2- Kobe is NOT a better scorer than lebron james and it's it's a waste of my time even responding to a point this insane.
    I agree with you. I do think that LeBron's a better and a smarter scorer.However, you're saying that LeBron is not able to get to 30 points even with the weaker rules. Considering the FACT that Kobe actually hit 30 in a tougher defensive environment, that basically implies that Kobe is a better scorer than LeBron.

Again, Kobe averaged 30 a game WITH hand checking. LeBron hit 30 a game twice in a weaker defensive era.

3- Kobe was most definitely NOT playing injured 2005. He got injured for 4 short weeks in February before coming back for the last 2 months of the season and stinking up the place by losing 20 of the last 22 games to choke away their playoff spot. He's spot hot 43% And less before and sense. Shooting that poorly is not an anomaly and doesn't have to be explained by talking about "injuries"
    This is the season AFTER the rule change, BTW. Kobe averaged 28/7/7 before his injury. Dude was playing injured in '04 and '05. That and you're ignoring the fact that Kobe took 20 shots to average 28 in '05 and 27 to average 35 in '06. That's a massive increase in shot attempts.

http://www.espn.in/nba/news/story?id=1967155
    http://www.givemesport.com/748444-ch...bryants-career

4- While that's true, it doesn't change the fact that Lebron, Kobe, Arenas, Redd, Pierce I believe, and plenty others all had career highs in the SAME season .
    To mention a bunch of players and say that they all had other individual seasons in which they topped their 2006 marks doesn't help that argument. If they all had their top individual ppg seasons coincidentally take place in the SAME season (let's say 2009 for example), you'd have a case.
    As it is their top ppg seasons are scattered randomly across their careers. In the meantime, many of the top perimeter players all had their careers highs in 2006 specifically. Not 2004. Not 2005. 2006. 2007.
    Again, you're blatantly ignoring the increase in FGA's, players hitting their primes and peaks, and the fact the rules actually changed in the PREVIOUS season.

Player A makes 8 of 20 shots and his team trail by 2 possessions with 50 seconds to go because he shot poorly up to that point. His team will play the foul game and end up inevitably losing, perhaps by more than 3-4 points as the other team hits foul shots they wouldn't have been provided with had the game been within a possession.

Player B (lebron) shot 9-10 of his 20 shots and it's a 1 possession game or even a tie game with 50 seconds to go. Don't you see how this changes the game completely?
    It's not even about the final score. Many games are between 3-5 points with a minute to go.

Are you actually being serious with that? Can't really tell.

THAT is where the difference between 50% and 44% is huge. That is what changes the game and things go from being in the balance to out of reach.
    That one shot changes the game to a 2 possession game and the final score.

It's never more important than in the big games when the teams are close. And it's why a Lebron james is considered a much better scorer.
    These two actually work AGAINST you. Considering the fact that Kobe is a flat out better shooter and midrange player (according to you, 4%-5% is a massive difference, right). In close games, lanes to the basket are taken away. This basically renders LeBron useless, considering the FACT that he's a 35% shooter (on jumpshots) in the PO's. Going by your posts, that number is abysmal. Heck, even if LeBron's team is down just one possession, who would want the ball in his hand? A player who shoots 35% on jumpshots. There's a reason as to why Kobe has significantly more game winners than LeBron as well. Kobe is a better shooter. Factoring in FT's, that just increases it more in Kobe's favor. Kobe is a career 84% FT shooter, compared to LeBron's 74%. A humungous 10% difference.

One more scenario but with their teams holding onto leads. Once again, considering that LeBron is a liability on jumpers and FT's, Kobe's the better option to go with.

So, yeah, either that 1 shot is basically negligible, or Kobe is a more reliable player to go to down the stretch.

Don't you guys ever get tired of arguing the same Bron vs Kobe stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    Bruh, you really should watch the Shaq-Kobe Laker games. Kobe was getting doubled/tripled a shit. Heck, it was even happening in the PO's. IIRC, Madsen and ImKobe posted a ton of gifs on this board.

I agree with you. I do think that LeBron's a better and a smarter scorer.However, you're saying that LeBron is not able to get to 30 points even with the weaker rules. Considering the FACT that Kobe actually hit 30 in a tougher defensive environment, that basically implies that Kobe is a better scorer than LeBron.

Again, Kobe averaged 30 a game WITH hand checking. LeBron hit 30 a game twice in a weaker defensive era.

This is the season AFTER the rule change, BTW. Kobe averaged 28/7/7 before his injury. Dude was playing injured in '04 and '05. That and you're ignoring the fact that Kobe took 20 shots to average 28 in '05 and 27 to average 35 in '06. That's a massive increase in shot attempts.

http://www.espn.in/nba/news/story?id=1967155
    http://www.givemesport.com/748444-ch...bryants-career

Again, you're blatantly ignoring the increase in FGA's, players hitting their primes and peaks, and the fact the rules actually changed in the PREVIOUS season.

Are you actually being serious with that? Can't really tell.

These two actually work AGAINST you. Considering the fact that Kobe is a flat out better shooter and midrange player (according to you, 4%-5% is a massive difference, right). In close games, lanes to the basket are taken away. This basically renders LeBron useless, considering the FACT that he's a 35% shooter (on jumpshots) in the PO's. Going by your posts, that number is abysmal. Heck, even if LeBron's team is down just one possession, who would want the ball in his hand? A player who shoots 35% on jumpshots. There's a reason as to why Kobe has significantly more game winners than LeBron as well. Kobe is a better shooter. Factoring in FT's, that just increases it more in Kobe's favor. Kobe is a career 84% FT shooter, compared to LeBron's 74%. A humungous 10% difference.

One more scenario but with their teams holding onto leads. Once again, considering that LeBron is a liability on jumpers and FT's, Kobe's the better option to go with.

So, yeah, either that 1 shot is basically negligible, or Kobe is a more reliable player to go to down the stretch.
    Good God. Let me get home and I'll respond. This post almost gave me brain cancer.

Good God. Let me get home and I'll respond. This post almost gave me brain cancer.
    Your blind frothing hate for Kobe has turned you into a delusional troll. Nothing more to say.

Why didn't anyone else maintain their scoring dominance in 2007? Kobe scored 38ppg for nearly half of the damn season and had 10 50pt games. Why didn't anyone maintain dominant scoring on that level the next year? Maybe Kobe was just that good...? Shocking I know. It's hard to fathom that without discrediting the state of the league

Feeny getting destroyed.

Bruh.. I legit need a break from that clown right now lol. Will respond another time.

Bruh.. I legit need a break from that clown right now lol. Will respond another time.
    In short, you got destroyed.

Why do you want to talk about the '06 season, when you started watching basketball in '11?

Cali Love

what a waste of time...half of this board was still running around in diapers around '06 but those same kids now are trying to act like they know what happened that season reading boxscores. Can't rewrite history.

81, 62 in 3Qs, +35 ppg, 39ppg for several months during hot streak, 21 games of 40 points (record 14-7). And not even his best season.

What do you think about every single perimeter all-star and perimeter 20 ppg scorer having their production increase, posting career highs?
    Do you disagree with what Kerr and Collins said during the MIA/LAL game?
    Kobe was still the only player breaking scoring records on a consistent basis that year, which followed suit in 2007.

And player/coach verbatim? Did you agree with Barkley, Kenny Smith and Reggie Miller when they said Kobe was the best player in 2010? Let us know...

I'm not sure why you're so defensive on this topic, was the defense not a valid issue? A declining Iverson posted 33 ppg ffs
    Hilarious

You're the guy who can't take my name out their mouth while crusading ISH and finding new and "inventive" ways to discredit Kobe. I'm the defensive one though.

And as you see, someone else like Dragonyeuw, thought this shit was consensus... so yeah, its a few more than just 'OP', lol.
    I have no idea who that is...should I care? I don't need a next man to formulate a basketball opinion.