Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Some Information regarding Kobe's 2006 season

So we all know it was an anamoly, but I've often been criticised in the past, for how far I went with it. Its clear to me Kobe received a massive boost, of the most inflated season in NBA history. So I did some research, and wanted to see just how badly skewed the numbers were.

Here are some facts:

2006 is the most league inflated season since the 1960's.

Three 30+ ppg scorers, AND Arenas at 29.3. The last time 3+ players averaged 30+ points per game was 1981/1982.

3 30+ ppg scorers only happened 6 times in the entire history of the NBA. 1975, 1982, and 2006 are the only ones outside of the 1960's.

The most 24+ ppg players in one season ever (12). A total of 24 20+ ppg scorers.

22 players besides Kobe had a 40+ point game. Among them: Mike Bibby (4x), Jason Richardson (3x), Michael Redd (3x), Rashard Lewis (2x), Elton Brand, Pau Gasol, Richard Hamilton, Richard Jefferson, Shawn Marion, Mike Miller, Charlie Villanueva, Gerald Wallace.

Just about every perimeter star saw their career highs in PPG, FG%, or both.

Here are the 24 20+ ppg scorers:

Kobe Bryant: 35.4 ppg (career high, +7.6)
    Allen Iverson: 33.0 ppg (career high, +2.7)
    LeBron James: 31.4 ppg (career high, +4.2)
    Gilbert Arenas: 29.3 ppg (career high, +3.8)
    Dwyane Wade: 27.2 ppg (career 3rd best, +3.1)
    Paul Pierce: 26.8 ppg (career high, +5.2)
    Dirk Nowitzki: 26.6 ppg (career 2nd best, +0.5) *PF, perimeter tendencies
    Carmelo Anthony: 26.5 ppg (career 5th best, +.5.7)
    Michael Redd: 25.4 ppg (career 2nd best, +2.4)
    Ray Allen: 25.1 ppg (career 2nd best, +1.2)
    Elton Brand: 24.7 ppg (career high, +4.7)
    Vince Carter: 24.2 ppg (career 3rd best, -0.3)
    Jason Richardson: 23.2 ppg (career high, +1.5)
    Chris Bosh: 22.5 ppg (career 3rd best, +5.7)
    Shawn Marion: 21.8 ppg (career high, +2.4)
    Kevin Garnett: 21.8 ppg (career 7th best, -0.4) *PF, perimeter tendencies
    Mike Bibby: 21.1 ppg (career high, +1.5)
    Antawn Jamison: 20.5 ppg (career 5th best, +0.9) *PF
    Pau Gasol: 20.4 ppg (career 2nd best, +2.6) *PF, perimeter tendencies
    Mike James: 20.3 ppg (career high, +8.5)
    Chris Webber: 20.2 ppg (career 7th best, +0.7) *PF
    Joe Johnson: 20.2 ppg (career 5th best, +3.1)
    Richard Hamilton: 20.1 ppg (career high, +1.4)
    Rashard Lewis: 20.1 ppg (career 3rd best, -0.4)

Every single perimeter all-star and perimeter 20 point scorer saw their production increase in 2006 (barring Vince Carter).

Billups is the only East perimeter all-star who didn't average 20+ ppg, but even he saw his production increase by +2.0, and had his career 2nd best. Nash and Parker ar the only West perimeter all-star who didn't average 20+ ppg, Nash saw his production increase by +3.3 having his career high, Parker saw his production increase by +2.3, having his career 3rd best.

No matter the stage of their career, irrelevant if they were pre-prime or post-prime, or in the midst of their peak. The seasons range from third season to 13th. Everybody here is between their 5th-10th season, w/ James/Wade/Anthony/Bosh in their 3rd, Garnett in his 11th, Webber in his 13th.

Only 5 players of the 24 didn't have top 3 career scoring years, of which 3 were either in their third season, or past their 10th.

---

Kobe's greatest statistical achievement, falls into the biggest outlier, most stat boosted/inflated season ever, since the 1960's, in which all perimeter players saw a massive increase in their production, with Kobe taking the most advantage of it, gaining the biggest boost of the year.

Default Re: Some Information regarding Kobe's 2006 season

This has been discussed before on the forum, how much of a boost the 2005-2006 stats were impacted by perimeter-friendly rule changes. Iverson alone putting up 33 on 45% at 30 when he was starting to lose that blinding speed a bit, should be testament enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    This has been discussed before on the forum, how much of a boost the 2005-2006 stats were impacted by perimeter-friendly rule changes. Iverson alone putting up 33 on 45% at 30 when he was starting to lose that blinding speed a bit, should be testament enough.
    I just strenghtened the case so there could be no argument about it anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot6hXqSIJXI
    Here, '06 LAL/MIA game, you actually have Collins/Kerr adressing those very issues at the 10 minute mark, as Kobe is fouled.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    I just strenghtened the case so there could be no argument about it anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot6hXqSIJXI
    Here, '06 LAL/MIA game, you actually have Collins/Kerr adressing those very issues at the 10 minute mark, as Kobe is fouled.
    Who was arguing against it? Always seemed pretty straight-forward and obvious to me....

Who was arguing against it? Always seemed pretty straight-forward and obvious to me....
    Nahh.. lots of people were. It was mainly in me saying Bryant's season wasn't that great, which many people, like for example kuniva, disagreed with... I didnt think it was a legendary season. He among others disagreed.

Good college starter

#rentfree, b*tch.

Retired and still making thesis-long threads about him.

That's a well written post.

The fact that a past his prime Iverson suddenly put up 33.5 ppg and lebron james put up his career high ppg as a 21 year old says that there's a lot wrong with that season
    Perhaps the defenses needed a year to adjust to the new interpretation of the handcheckng rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feeny
    That's a well written post.

The fact that a past his prime Iverson suddenly put up 33.5 ppg and lebron james put up his career high ppg as a 21 year old says that there's a lot wrong with that season
    Perhaps the defenses needed a year to adjust to the new interpretation of the handcheckng rules.
    the officiating calmed down after 6'4 Dwyane Wade, set the record for most FT's ever in a finals series, and Cuban accused the league of being rigged.

You're right OP. It was an average season. Any shmoe could have averaged 35 points that season. I'm pretty sure half the NBA was capable of having an 81 point game or outscoring an entire opposing team through 3 quarters if they really wanted to.

the officiating calmed down after 6'4 Dwyane Wade, set the record for most FT's ever in a finals series, and Cuban accused the league of being rigged.
    Is that why LeBron was attempting 16 FT's a game in the '09 ECF?

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    You're right OP. It was an average season. Any shmoe could have averaged 35 points that season. I'm pretty sure half the NBA was capable of having an 81 point game or outscoring an entire opposing team through 3 quarters if they really wanted to.
    and there we have our first moron sighting

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    Is that why LeBron was attempting 16 FT's a game in the '09 ECF?
    will any following high FT volume series be of proof to you that the officiating since then has NOT calmed down?

You think the game is still officiated the same way? Moron x2.

straight forward I tell ya... I wish.

will any following high FT volume series be of proof to you that the officiating since then has NOT calmed down?

You think the game is still officiated the same way? Moron x2.
    The [COLOR="Black"]f[/COLOR]uck are you babbling about, AutisticWater. I presented you with FACTS in the other thread about the '06 Finals and you ran away like a little bitch.

Anyways, why did LeBron deserve those FT's and not Wade?

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    Lets also not forget that Kobe had a ridiculous season the very next year as well. The only reason his PPG fell? His shot attempts dropped by like 5 a game.

It's not that outrageous to say Kobe played at roughly the same level from 06-08. 08 gets mentioned as a peak for him all the time. Still all 3 of those years are absolutely special and impactful offensively. Not sure if the numbers are right but his orapm is near the top of the league or at the top those 3 years. This is in a league with a whole bunch of offensive forces like Nash, Wade, Dirk, Lebron, CP3 and whole bunch of other scorers you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    The [COLOR="Black"]f[/COLOR]uck are you babbling about, AutisticWater. I presented you with FACTS in the other thread about the '06 Finals and you ran away like a little bitch.

Anyways, why did LeBron deserve those FT's and not Wade?

Lets also not forget that Kobe had a ridiculous season the very next year as well. The only reason his PPG fell? His shot attempts dropped by like 5 a game.
    Not only did Kobe's scoring fall, but LeBron, iverson, Arenas and Pierce all dropped. If you think that's a coincidence, I don't know what to tell you.

Agree with you about the 2006 fwiw. A.w. is a dirk fan and never got over Wade obliterating Dallas and bringing the heat back from 2-0 down.

I think the regards to the 2016 officiating, everyone would agree with him because those are blatant facts. Lots of players had career highs that season and had their scoring drop the very following year.