Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star KB2009Champ's Avatar

Default Re: Donaghy Says Stern Told Refs To Manipulate 2005 Mavs-Rockets Series

Ya'll are incredibly gullable. Unreal. So thats all it takes? For one mofo looking to make $$ on a book to start making stuff up for everyone to start beleiving him over the US government and the FBI who found no illegal activity going on other than with this ONE ref?

All he did was to look at games/series with controversial endings and add his two cents - DUH!!!

Unreal.

http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/pos...laims-on-trial

Read that please.

SMDH

Quote Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
    "Team 3 lost the first two games in the series and Team 3's owner complained to NBA officials," the letter said. "Team 3's owner alleged that referees were letting a Team 4 player get away with illegal screens. NBA Executive Y told Referee Supervisor Z that the referees for that game were to enforce the screening rules strictly against that Team 4 player. Referee Supervisor Z informed the referees about his instructions. As an alternate referee for that game, Tim also received these instructions."
    Not allowing Yao to set those ridiculous moving screens he had been getting away with for so long was unfair?

NBA lottery pick

Can Rockets or Mavs fans that specifically watched all the games in that series cite some specific examples of the egregious calls in that series? I would really like to see them.
    Besides the Finley call, watch the holding of yao's arms when he was posting up. dampier at times would clearly grab yao's non-shooting hand when yao was trying to catch the ball in the post. i watched ever game of that series. there was alot od bull****e no calls. mcgrady was getting murderd off the ball. Stackhouse and marquis daniels were playing some really illegal off the ball defense. it was attrocious.
    Last edited by ronnymac; 12-08-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Judging by his numbers in that series, T-Mac didn't seem to notice:

Tracy Mcgrady:
    30.7ppg, 7.4reb, 6.7ast, 46 FG%, 55.6 TS%, 27.2 PER

It seems that the official NBA version and Stern's version is that they had to call fouls on Yao when he set screens. This was to start with game 3 of the series. However, Donaghy was asked to clarify if they were to ref Yao differently prior to the series start.

The question of was there smoke and he said "not smoke but a blaze". So I'm not sure what to make of this. It seems starting with game 3 that the refs were supposed to call fouls on Yao's screens, but before the series began they were to single him out also.

Again, we need Rockets and Mavs fans to explain what happened exactly in that series.
    I am not a Rocket or Mav fan, but Yao's screens were blatant. I absolutely believe that Stern told the refs to start calling illegal screens on Yao, and am glad he did.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    Lol at this clown Tim Donaghy manipulating everyone. He's trying to get money and benefit his case/word digging into past quotes and controversial games. He heard JVGs comments years back and is now saying the series in itself was fixed...All he's doing is trying to make his 'word' cleaner by giving you fallacies. Don't feed into the conspiracy beast.

Read the ESPN article on Donaughy and how is claims were totally debunked -- point shaving, etc

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...laims-on-trial
    Why would Van Gundy also make that up?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KB2009Champ
    Ya'll are incredibly gullable. Unreal. So thats all it takes? For one mofo looking to make $$ on a book to start making stuff up for everyone to start beleiving him over the US government and the FBI who found no illegal activity going on other than with this ONE ref?

All he did was to look at games/series with controversial endings and add his two cents - DUH!!!

Unreal.

http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/pos...laims-on-trial

Read that please.

SMDH
    ESPN has a multi-billion dollar a year media contract with the NBA. We are supposed to take their word on this when they have billions of dollars at stake in keeping the public believing everything from the official NBA side? Who is the gullible one here?

Also the federal investigation only focused on fixing from outside the game. As in the mob and betting side and what Donaghy was doing with the illegal gambling and how it related to the Gambino crime family. It did not include looking into fixing from inside the game - as in the NBA itself ordering the refs to manipulate games based on how they would call the games. That was not part of the FBI investigation.

And you should consider how that ESPN article does not mention that or that ESPN has a multi-billion partnership with the NBA either.
    Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo; 12-08-2009 at 01:28 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
    will congress get involved like they did steroids? i hope so...
    No they should not. They have bigger things to worry about.

Local High School Star icemanfan's Avatar

ESPN has a multi-billion dollar a year media contract with the NBA. We are supposed to take their word on this when they have billions of dollars at stake in keeping the public believing everything from the official NBA side? Who is the gullible one here?
    watch out , using logic on ISH can get you banned.

Why would Van Gundy also make that up?
    Make what up? That they ref Yao differently? Maybe it's taken out of context. Why would I believe someone who is currently out of a job and is in desperate need for cash. The artice/blog I posted isn't ridiculous either. Debunks many, many, many claims that dbag spewed.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    No they should not. They have bigger things to worry about.
    Yeah, Congress questioning players about steroid use a decade ago was perhaps the most ridiculous sports-related thing I've ever seen

NBA lottery pick

I will say it probaly didnt effect the whole series because we lost by 40 in dallas, but it really should have never gone to 7 games anyway. the mavs won and now it's history. no point rehashing it. fixed or not, it's done and dusted with.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    Lol at this clown Tim Donaghy manipulating everyone. He's trying to get money and benefit his case/word digging into past quotes and controversial games. He heard JVGs comments years back and is now saying the series in itself was fixed...All he's doing is trying to make his 'word' cleaner by giving you fallacies. Don't feed into the conspiracy beast.

Read the ESPN article on Donaughy and how is claims were totally debunked -- point shaving, etc

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...laims-on-trial
    why anyone would give this guy the time of day is beyond me.. the man has lied used inside information to his own benefit, attempted to throw colleagues under the bus, been investigated, imprisoned and yet he writes a book and folks "oh look, the nba is rigged, the convict says it's true"

then you have all these folks he's pointing fingers at, people that have never been accused (except by him) when investigated by the fbi there was nothing to back up his claims against these people yet folks are still quick to jump on the donaghy bandwagon...

i'm not saying that everything he says is a lie, all good liars add a shread of truth to their lies to make them beliveable but i'm certainly not gonna put one penny in this guys pocket or am i going to indict the league based on his word... a word that has been found to be full of crap already

High School Varsity 6th Man justin43's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    why anyone would give this guy the time of day is beyond me.. the man has lied used inside information to his own benefit, attempted to throw colleagues under the bus, been investigated, imprisoned and yet he writes a book and folks "oh look, the nba is rigged, the convict says it's true"

then you have all these folks he's pointing fingers at, people that have never been accused (except by him) when investigated by the fbi there was nothing to back up his claims against these people yet folks are still quick to jump on the donaghy bandwagon...

i'm not saying that everything he says is a lie, all good liars add a shread of truth to their lies to make them beliveable but i'm certainly not gonna put one penny in this guys pocket or am i going to indict the league based on his word... a word that has been found to be full of crap already
    Good read.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vert48
    I am not a Rocket or Mav fan, but Yao's screens were blatant. I absolutely believe that Stern told the refs to start calling illegal screens on Yao, and am glad he did.
    You seem to miss the point entirely. Before the series began they were to single Yao out and then only after Dallas lost the first two games and Cuban complained did they start with the screens. That's the point, the NBA and Stern's official version of the story leaves out the singling Yao out before the series started. It also leaves out that it is being said that game 5 was specially targeted as well.

In other words, the NBA and the screens thing is like a smoke screen. Which makes sense why Stern got so angry when Van Gundy brought it up that Jackson told him about it in secret and without Stern's permission. Because if it was really so innocent then the Rockets would have been properly informed about it. The league would inform them not to let Yao move on any screen.

But you see now when questions about fixing games come up, people like you go "all they did was call an illegal screen on Yao". Which is exactly the way they want people to respond - which eliminates these same people wanting to find out about the before the series started singling Yao out or about what happened in game 5.

And there is that example of the refs giving the ball to Dallas and ensuring they won game 5. Look for yourself,

I am trying to find the video of this on youtube, but interestingly enough, I am having a hard time because the videos keep saying "this video has been removed due to violations of terms of service".

Strange, that is if the NBA has nothing to hide. If any Rockets fans have video of that call then please post it.
    Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo; 12-08-2009 at 01:42 PM.