Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Default Chris Broussard: Where Are The Great White American NBA Players?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=UVoIUYpZBaw

I have my own theories but I'm curious what y'all gotta say

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Chris Broussard: Where Are The Great White American NBA Players?

AAU and racism.

National High School Star beastee's Avatar

In the NFL and MLB. Affluent parents push them forward into other sports because they physically can't compete in the current AAU system.

Very good NBA starter

White kids develop slower, reach puberty later.

That means they go up against much larger and more developed black players.

In the AAU which is only focused on winning, that means the don't get a fair shake.

It's even worse for Asians who are the latest to reach puberty.

In Europe, the focus is not on winning, but on skills. Young kids don't even count points in a lot of cases. That allows for physically weaker players to develop their skills, just in time for the white growth spurt, which is usually around 17 years.

Can't make the cut anymore. Basketball is a sport that relies on size and athleticism and honestly, the African American population is top-notch in both size and athleticism. We'll keep seeing Great White Quarterbacks though, why? Because the position relies on execution, not direct competition. Basketball is a team sport but you have to be able to beat your man one on one, beat double teams and the occasional triple-team to get a basket. Quarterbacks are shielded away by their teammates.

We have great European whites because Europe has a long and rich basketball history and they have competitive basketball programs that nurture players from an early age. (And still, as big as Europe and ex-soviet territories are, they produce few NBA caliber players) Maybe this new era that focuses on 3 points could let some white Americans to find their way to the NBA again but expect more Joe Harris and Kyle Korver types than the Larry Bird and Pete Maravich types.

The league in general is starting to be run by more and more non-American players

NBA is more of an athletic game than a skill game, and the saying "white men can't jump" is basically true.
    Even the good white players from overseas aren't very athletic, but their skill set is usually broad and at a high level across the board. You're not going to get a lot of white american players with broad skill sets, it's all about shooting, dunking and ISO plays with fancy handles.

When an elite athlete with little actual bball skill can be a lottery pick by just running past or jumping over inferior players there isn't a lot of incentive to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    Can't make the cut anymore. Basketball is a sport that relies on size and athleticism and honestly, the African American population is top-notch in both size and athleticism. We'll keep seeing Great White Quarterbacks though, why? Because the position relies on execution, not direct competition. Basketball is a team sport but you have to be able to beat your man one on one, beat double teams and the occasional triple-team to get a basket. Quarterbacks are shielded away by their teammates.

We have great European whites because Europe has a long and rich basketball history and they have competitive basketball programs that nurture players from an early age. (And still, as big as Europe and ex-soviet territories are, they produce few NBA caliber players) Maybe this new era that focuses on 3 points could let some white Americans to find their way to the NBA again but expect more Joe Harris and Kyle Korver types than the Larry Bird and Pete Maravich types.
    That's complete BS.

Tons of guys in Europe can play in the NBA. half of the Europeans playing in the NBA now would be below average or even scrubs in EuroLeague.

11 NBA starters 12 NBA rotation player American NBA team finished 7th in the World Cup, playing against a bunch of teams that were mostly missing 3-5 of their best players.

Spain won the tournament with a roster that would not even make the playoffs in EuroLeague, and USA's team of 12 NBA players was 7th.

The NBA is so overrated as far as how it compares to EuroLeague, that it's ludicrous.

Hell, these days every year several NBA rotation players go to EuroLeague and are complete scrubs there.

Local High School Star

They generally lack the fast-twitch muscle fibers, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    We'll keep seeing Great White Quarterbacks though, why? Because the position relies on execution, not direct competition.
    Sort of OT, but this is a question that's fascinated me for a while (though maybe it's moot now with the recent influx of great black QBs.) And it's also tough to separate the issues of black vs white QBs and running vs passing QBs.

Certainly you're right that the QB position is LESS reliant on raw athleticism than other skill positions. However, there's no denying that it's at least helpful for a QB to be mobile. If Brady had Vick's speed, he'd be an even more dangerous player. So it always seemed strange that (until recently anyway) the proportion of black QBs in the NFL wasn't much higher than the proportion of black people in the population as a whole.

There are a ton of possible explanations:

1.) Racism by the coaching/management establishment

2.) Whites have some area of genetic superiority that suits them to play QB

3.) Black QBs are not developed as passers because their coaches allow/instruct them to run first in order to win games, especially at the developmental levels

#3 is the possibility that I find the most interesting. If you were a college coach and you had a Michael Vick or Lamar Jackson, you're not going to have him stand in the pocket, even if that might be best for his pro development. You're going to have him run the ball and leverage his athletic advantage, because you're more worried about winning games and keeping your job than you are about the pro future of your QB.

Whites in America simply have more avenues of opportunity than say Western Europe which consists of Soccer, Hoop or join your countries local rebellion in a 30 year civil war

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Aau culture just give the biggest most athletic kid the ball and clear out. No teamwork.

National High School Star beastee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    That's complete BS.

Tons of guys in Europe can play in the NBA. half of the Europeans playing in the NBA now would be below average or even scrubs in EuroLeague.

Hell, these days every year several NBA rotation players go to EuroLeague and are complete scrubs there.
    1. Yes, as covered...ones who spent their whole lives in development against other like minded Europeans that don't have to face the AAU size and athleticism, so they learn fundamentals and get proper playing time.

2.Key here is rotation players. Also...name them and be accurate. We all know you are full of it and I will let others beat you up on the specifics as they often do.

Very good NBA starter

The NBA is slowly going to be called the Nepotistic Basketball League.

I'm willing to bet if they did a study, there's a direct correlation more and more of these NBA players being linked to former parents in the NBA or WNBA. I'm also sure that if you were to measure body types and wingspans, african american players will still be superior.

That and AAU are the reason basketball is the way it is. Most of the guys in the NBA are sons of professional leaguers.

Luka's dad was a professional player and big time coach in Serbia.
    Javale Mcgee's mom was a WNBA player
    Kyrie's dad was a great professional player overseas
    Klay and Steph, nuff said

Most basketball players nowadays come from middle upper class background. AAU is not cheap. Basketball economics is nothing like it was before.

I'd say my point is, a lot of NBA players on average don't grow up as poor anymore. White US born NBA players have the same AAU invitations but ultimately, body type and frame is going to play a major part.

Greyson Allen is quick enough and a very good leaper. at 6'4 his wingspan is like 6'5. Bradley Beal's wingspan is like 6'8 and he's 6'4.

Wingspan and body type along with skills is going to get you to excel the league.

It's the culture. Young white kids aren't pressured to play basketball. Most young African American boy play basketball in some form.

I played college water polo and was the smallest player at 6'. Our team had 2 6'8" players, 2 6'5" players, and most guys between 6'1-6"3. I was the only one who even played bball as a hobby. These guys were great athletes and huge, but didn't play b-ball as kids. Most of them played baseball though.

I did convince one of the 6'8" guys to play for our rec team and just get boards and play D. He got good pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by beastee
    1. Yes, as covered...ones who spent their whole lives in development against other like minded Europeans that don't have to face the AAU size and athleticism, so they learn fundamentals and get proper playing time.

2.Key here is rotation players. Also...name them and be accurate. We all know you are full of it and I will let others beat you up on the specifics as they often do.
    The fact you don't know that every year several NBA rotation players / 6th men / starters go to EuroLeague and are just average, some are below average, some get cut for poor play even.................the fact you don't know that already on your own is proof in and of itself that you don't know what you are talking about.

You are completely ignorant on the matter, and yet you are talking crap like you know something about it.