Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Mychal Thompson on GSW: "I agree with Klay, I think they would beat us"

Klays dad who played with 80s showtime Lakers had following to say on podcast:

Quote Originally Posted by Mychal Thompson
    Thompson- I admit this. We would shoot. And we shot 8 threes a game. They make 8 threes a quarter. Golden State would outscore us 50 to 15 on threes. So how are we supposed to win? So I agree with Klay, I think they would beat us. We couldn't keep up with them offensively because of the way they can score so quickly.

Trudell- Wow I don't think I've ever heard you acknowledge that before...

Thompson: I am a man secure in my legacy, secure in my accomplishments. I don't have to be all "Oh we're better than them." I'm not that grumpy old man even though I sound like that many a time. But I can admit when the new era is better than something else or that's changed from the time I played. And the way they play. We would have a hard time keeping up cause like I said, our game wasn't shooting threes, which theirs are. And three beats two. Doesn't it Trudell? You went to Northwestern, you were a math major. Doesn't that add up?

Trudell- Well that's why the Warriors have been the best team in the league for the past couple years and that's why they've won 73 games and why they have changed the way a lot of franchises approach things.

Thompson- I'm not going sit up there and say "We're so great, we could be anybody." No, of course we could lose to these Warriors or lose to Michael Jordan's Bulls when Kareem was playing. Of course we can. It's called sports.
    If we played the warriors in a seven game series I wouldn't be shocked if they beat us.

I moved my feet very well for a big man as I compliment myself. But when I think about switching out on Steph Curry, I break out in hives. I grew up on an island, talk about being isolated on an island stuck out there with him as he does his little dance. I would hate that.
    link

sounds like a lot of you old timers on this site

Default Re: Mychal Thompson on GSW: "I agree with Klay, I think they would beat us"

Finally an honest player from that time with some common sense

Default Re: Mychal Thompson on GSW: "I agree with Klay, I think they would beat us"

Let's here that coming from Magic or KAJ then we'll talk

Good High School Starter Bernkastel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Klays dad
    It's nothing.

Of course he'd say that, he's a proud dad and was a beta role player.

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal
    Of course he'd say that, he's a proud dad and was a beta role player.
    Wasn't really a role player. Maybe on the Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by scandisk_
    Let's here that coming from Magic or KAJ then we'll talk

Right? Magic might agree, as he's been known to give today's players props, but no way Kareem would. And I'd agree with Kareem in this case.

...Consider the source...

just because it says it does not mean he's right
    the title should be.............. Klay's father on GSW: "I agree with Klay, I think They would beat us"

Klays dad knows big men of that era wouldnt be able to step out and trap on his son or Stephen nor take em in a iso..

Can you imagine 45 year old dinosaur Kareem trying to stick with either of them 30 feet out with picks and bodies flying everywhere about the court?

Klays dad knows big men of that era wouldnt be able to step out and trap on his son or Stephen nor take em in a iso..

Can you imagine 45 year old dinosaur Kareem trying to stick with either of them 30 feet out with picks and bodies flying everywhere about the court?

Why would he need to?

Put Coop on his ass to shut him down. If he and Klay ain't hitting them threes, the Warriors are screwed. How is Draymond and them gonna bang with the likes of Kareem, A.C. Green and Rambis on the boards?

What's Steph gonna do when Magic posts him up? Who's gonna check Byron Scott?

Everyone always talks about stopping the Warriors, but how are they gonna stop any other historic team? The 80s Celts and Lakers, Bad Boys Pistons and 90s Bulls would body them.

Kevin Durant and Westbrook can take them to 7, the showtime Lakers would run them off the floor and pound them inside.

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    Why would he need to?

Put Coop on his ass to shut him down. If he and Klay ain't hitting them threes, the Warriors are screwed. How is Draymond and them gonna bang with the likes of Kareem, A.C. Green and Rambis on the boards?

What's Steph gonna do when Magic posts him up? Who's gonna check Byron Scott?

Everyone always talks about stopping the Warriors, but how are they gonna stop any other historic team? The 80s Celts and Lakers, Bad Boys Pistons and 90s Bulls would body them.

Golden State can put Curry on Byron Scott, throw combination of Iggy and Klay at Magic, Barnes on Coop or Worthy, Draygod on whatever scrub PF (rambis or AC green) and big 7 foot Aussie on Kareem's old ass.

Kareem would eat on offense, and get WRECKED on defense.. as would magic.. them two used to rotating around the paint covering midrange shooters and post ups.. now their archaic big men being caught in PnRs 30 feet from the hoop. Theyve never seen or dealt with that before.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    ...Consider the source...
    ...and then consider the source of all the old players who say it was better in their time....themselves...can't be any more biased than that.

Golden State can put Curry on Byron Scott, throw combination of Iggy and Klay at Magic, Barnes on Coop or Worthy, Draygod on whatever scrub PF (rambis or AC green) and big 7 foot Aussie on Kareem's old ass.

Kareem would eat on offense, and get WRECKED on defense.. as would magic.. them two used to rotating around the paint covering midrange shooters and post ups.. now their archaic big men being caught in PnRs 30 feet from the hoop. Theyve never seen or dealt with that before.
    Yeah, a lot more imposing than the Celtics or Pistons