Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default 1998 All Star Game

George Karl subbed Kobe out because he was playing well and stealing the show in MJ's last all star game. The game was close till Kobe sat out and the East went on to win.

Don't know why Karl benched the best player on the court in a close game, for the East to go on and win.

Here is MJ saying he didn't want to get dominated by Kobe.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD2y2wVGd-U

You can find the game yourself because it is all over the net and start watching in the 2nd half. Dumb move on Karl but I can see why he didn't want an 18 year old steal the show and perhaps winning the game on the same court with MJ.

Default Re: 1998 All Star Game

When old, fadeaway MJ embarrassed young Kobe one on one @ MSG.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    When old, fadeaway MJ embarrassed young Kobe one on one @ MSG.

In general...you can go kill yourself. In this case...we find common ground.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 11-21-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

I couldn't imagine living with the mental disorder to constantly obsess over how playerA and playerB compares. I mean, this is a regular thing with the same exact posters.

You need serious help.

George Karl subbed Kobe out
    http://www.theshadowleague.com/artic...be-bryant-pt-1

In 1998, Kobe would be chosen for the first of 15 NBA All-Star games and would score 18 points, leading the West in scoring. However, it was the Michael Jordan-led Eastern Conference that would emerge victorious by a score of 132-120.

The game brought increased infamy to Bryant, as many pegged him as being selfish and representing all that was wrong with the NBA. He was considered too young, too brash, and an unwilling passer. It was also the year in which Bryant infamously waved off a screen from Karl Malone to take Jordan one-on-one. "When young guys tell me to get out of the way," said Malone after the game, "that's a game I don't need to be in."

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    It was also the year in which Bryant infamously waved off a screen from Karl Malone to take Jordan one-on-one. "When young guys tell me to get out of the way," said Malone after the game, "that's a game I don't need to be in."
    So damn alpha.

High School Varsity 6th Man MastaKilla's Avatar

In 1998, Kobe would be chosen for the first of 15 NBA All-Star games and would score 18 points, leading the West in scoring. However, it was the Michael Jordan-led Eastern Conference that would emerge victorious by a score of 132-120.

The game brought increased infamy to Bryant, as many pegged him as being selfish and representing all that was wrong with the NBA. He was considered too young, too brash, and an unwilling passer. It was also the year in which Bryant infamously waved off a screen from Karl Malone to take Jordan one-on-one. "When young guys tell me to get out of the way," said Malone after the game, "that's a game I don't need to be in."
    wow so alpha

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

people remember this game as kobe playing well against MJ, even though he didn't score on MJ even one time - otoh, Jordan scored ON kobe numerous times in this game, to the point where he was laughing at the youngster (the third gif below).

and if you look at Jordan vs. Kobe over the years, Jordan scored ON kobe a super-ton...

whereas kobe scored ON jordan literally 3, maybe 4 times in his entire career... as usual, jordan with the substance.
    Last edited by 3ball; 11-21-2014 at 07:55 PM.

I rule the local playground nnn123's Avatar

This punk Karl Malone. Dude it's a freaking all-star game, why so salty?

finals mvp, regular season mvp vs basically rook kobe..

Quote Originally Posted by The Immortal
    Damn.. just watched that clip OP posted. I thought OP was lying, but MJ actually did say he was glad he didn't get dominated by Kobe.. the utter relief. Little did he know that years later, Kobe would output a half for the ages vs him.
    jordan never guarded kobe for even one possession in kobe's 55 point game - it was 100% Stackhouse guarding Kobe.

point me to ONE clip in that game where kobe scored on Jordan.

and why bring up him challenging MJ in the all-star game, when he didn't score on him even one time, and Jordan scored on him a ton?

jordan scored on kobe a ton of times, while kobe never scored on jordan but twice in his entire career.

NBA Superstar

even rookie kobe was still twice as alpha as todays "best" player in the game

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    even rookie kobe was still twice as alpha as todays "best" player in the game
    this is very true..

i remember when iverson had the same attitude vs jordan - and iverson actually TOOK jordan and scored ON him the one time he had the chance.

High School Varsity 6th Man MastaKilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MastaKilla
    4 for Jordan, only 1 for Kobe... what else is new.

this is one of the two times in Kobe's entire career, that he TOOK Jordan - scored ON him when he was jordan's immediate assignment.