Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Default Out of curosity, do you think all nighters for exams actually work?

I've pulled only 3 allnighters in my 4 years of college. Two of them produced two really good grades on the class's finals while the last one produced a so-so mark.

I have pulled at least 2 allnighters for papers though.
    Last edited by NBAplayoffs2001; 01-30-2015 at 02:50 PM.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Default Re: Out of curosity, do you think all nighters for exams actually work?

Better than studying properly? No. Better than nothing - of course.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    This. Study normally and get a good night's sleep.

National High School Star

Depends on the type of test.

Some stuff you just need to know by muscle memory (e.g., doing hwk over a few week period of time). Other stuff you just need to be able to learn the concept and apply it creatively to different situations. If it is the latter - then yeah a whole night of studying can definitely get you a decent grade on exams. If the former, then no...ur usually screwed because you just can't remember how to do the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Depends on the type of test.

Some stuff you just need to know by muscle memory (e.g., doing hwk over a few week period of time). Other stuff you just need to be able to learn the concept and apply it creatively to different situations. If it is the latter - then yeah a whole night of studying can definitely get you a decent grade on exams. If the former, then no...ur usually screwed because you just can't remember how to do the problem.
    I disagree. Muscle memory is not the same as learning terms.

They work, especially in combination with proper supplementation, but are not better than regularly studying, especially if you are looking for long term results from the study.

If you haven't learned sh** you better pull an all nighter

But all nighter is really bad, because you will forget the stuff you learned after the exam. Yes, i'm giving back all my fken knowledge to college

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I disagree. Muscle memory is not the same as learning terms.
    Well, on an exam, people get the same credits from arriving to the conclusion whether in one sentence or a whole paragraph.

I did struggle quite a bit in statistics in the matters of proof though

I never once pulled an all nighter in college or grad school. Why would anyone put themselves in that position?

My last exam of university was an all-night study. I had 6 in 8 days and couldn't prepare properly for it. I had no sleep and took a 5 hour energy beforehand. My hands shook and my heart wouldn't slow down and I felt sick through the entire test. I couldn't think straight and did very badly. I failed that test badly, but the professor passed me as he wasn't going to ruin my graduation with his technical elective course, although that's what I deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    I never once pulled an all nighter in college or grad school. Why would anyone put themselves in that position?
    procrastination

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic

something about our greatest fear being subjects that of interest

Well yeah, but likely only because University exams have become so easy. I mean, I learnt an entire 3rd year module in a day and a night (worth a 6th of the year), took codeine and caffeine to the exam, and got 66 (70 is a first, most students only bother aiming for a 2:1).

Graduating with a 2:1 has just become ludicrously easy. Being at University was largely like being on holiday, yet many still consider their degree classifications as impressive achievements, or signs of their intelligence. Honestly, i've seen the old General Cert papers (what they gave people before the A-level), and they are far harder than most University courses; the current level of academic rigour is simply woeful. UK education has been gutted by the dogma of egalitarianism: selective grammar schools were abolished, and a complete overhaul of examination system necessitated, as the new schools couldn't produce students capable of passing the old exams. Formerly top-level grammar schools had a requirement that all their dons (teachers) needed to have a first from Oxbridge or they could not teach there. Now any old schmo with a 2:2 can teach, and if you get a good and inspiring teacher, count yourself as being very lucky. Thus rather than teaching being an honourable profession for the learned, it becomes what you do if you fail at university - to not think this is going to trickle down and undermine the effectiveness of education you would have to be incredibly foolish.

Just remember that this mode of study is pretty useless if you actually want to learn stuff and improve your knowledge of something, as it is forgotten very quickly (putting off sleep effectively means you're working mostly off of short-term memory).
    Last edited by Dresta; 01-30-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Yes X 1000

Don't believe I've stayed up all night studying. Maybe working on a paper or something if I had to work the day before but never studying for a test.

Sleep deprivation + test = bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Yes X 1000

Don't believe I've stayed up all night studying. Maybe working on a paper or something if I had to work the day before but never studying for a test.

Sleep deprivation + test = bad idea
    modafinil says hi, piracetam work as well, from not-so-good substance adderall and ritalin work, too