Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    I rule the local playground

[QUOTE=Se

why live??

Quote Originally Posted by asd
    without the business, you wouldn't be able to watch basketball games on tv, buy basketball gear, and etc...
    Yes the two are linked within the role of commissioner, but a good commissioner would be looking for the best of basketball and it's followers, not "how to make the most money".

Creating the best basketball league possible would in itself generate more interest in the NBA, instead of creating the wrong type of interest, e.g. ESPN highlights and merchandising.

[QUOTE=Se

Banned

Ok, I see your point. The new ball will add to your costs, and positive gain is only experienced by the NBA.

However, Stern should not be concerned with your financial situation, only the NBAs. When you fork over more money to the NBA, Stern is elated, and that's how it is in corporate America. When the NBA starts losing money, then Stern should be fired.
    As I said, the market for the NBA is not limitless. What happens when that limit is reached? You think you'll be able to convince spoiled ghetto kids masquarading as NBA players that they should take a pay cut?

why live??

unlike you, I don't care about the title under 'asd.' have concerns over the title on my business card. I have worked on websites larger than ISH. I could slap some RSS feeds and a VBulletin forum up and make another ISH in less than one weekend.
    Well seeing you're not really a fan of basketball anyway, I suggest you go make your own website and see how much interest you can gather for it.

Speaking for all of ISH here, this is a website of basketball purists, not monopolistic David Stern groupies. You would be better off posting elsewhere, you've been spanked numerous times in this thread, but fail to see the error in your ways. Somebody that has "tunnel-vision" usually isn't very successful in business, so I encourage you to go start your own website. Tell me when you have it made so I can go laugh at you.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBunghole
    As I said, the market for the NBA is not limitless. What happens when that limit is reached? You think you'll be able to convince spoiled ghetto kids masquarading as NBA players that they should take a pay cut?
    When that limit is reached, the business is forced to make necessary changes. Are you saying that the limit has been reached? Are you and the majority of all the fans writing your letters to the NBA, and no longer watching games until Stern is removed?

ASD, just waiting for you to respond to my post concerning online video.

why live??

so, are you saying that the league should be a communist league? compared to the commissioner, the fans get equal say?
    No, I'm saying the commissioner's job should be to look after the NBA's business interests without hurting the image of the league, or the integrity of the game.

why live??

When that limit is reached, the business is forced to make necessary changes. Are you saying that the limit has been reached? Are you and the majority of all the fans writing your letters to the NBA, and no longer watching games until Stern is removed?
    At the end of the day I care more about watching basketball than going to extreme measures of writing to the league. You don't really seem to understand how to have your cake and eat it. You can watch NBA games and be anti-Stern. You can also support the war on teror and be anti-Bush.

The limits of your intelligence are of more concern to me than the limits of the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    What I don't like are the comparisons to Yahoo's Broadcast.com purchase.

"I mean honestly....how many people do you know whom actually used Broadcast.com. Compare to that to how many people you know who use YouTube.
    The two aren't even remotely comparable. Not to mention they were entirely different business models. One simply distributed established content. The other allows the user to actually distribute their own content."

this argument has been made already...check out the link..
    http://digg.com/tech_news/Mark_Cuban...uld_buy_YouTub

"This coming from the guy who started Broadcast.com and sold it to Yahoo, right. A little p*nis envy, eh."

"I am tired to death of Mark Cuban using the billions he made off a terrible mistake by Yahoo! to purchase self-importance. At least most of us who made money off the dot com boom can put it in perspective."

Should I keep going?
    Last edited by asd; 11-02-2006 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    waiting for your response, MaxFly...

[QUOTE=Se

Banned

No, I'm saying that the league might face problems unforseen. Of course the limit has not been reached yet, but do you believe that the salaries can just keep growing forever? And it's not like they follow the pace of the economic growth of the country/society. Every year the salary cap increases and every year, players can expect more money for the same work. This can't go on forever.

The NBA is currently riding a wave of popularity that started in the late 80s. Before that, very few games were televised and NBA teams themselves often found out things like which team they would play in the second round of playoffs the day after an actual game. Then over a period of a few years to about a decade, the NBA is everywhere. You can now see every game imaginable, curtesy of the League Pass. Except that, like me, I think a lot of people realize they don't really want to see every game imaginable. When I first got the League Pass 3 seasons ago, I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. The first week of that season, I watched something like 2-3 games a night. And then like Halloween candy, I had too much of it and it made me sick. Then I realized that all you needed really was TNT, ESPN and the local FSN affiliate that covers your team. You got all the games you need there, and you pay less. Of course, I still have the League Pass since I was never actually paying for it, but the point stands. The novelty of watching bad teams play each other wears off pretty fast.

I remember a few weeks ago, there was a thread about a Euro division in the NBA. With the amount of success, and possible future success, that the NBA is experiencing with Stern at the helm, he should be removed?

I say, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Even with all the new rules that Stern is putting into place, all this controversy and attention is brought to the NBA, as a result. Shoot, we're arguing about it right now. Do you think that this is bad for the NBA?