Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What would Dr J's career and legacy be like if...

... he played his whole career in the NBA instead of playing in the ABA till 1976?

Atlanta drafted him in 1972 so just assume he plays there until 1976 and then goes to the Sixers and the rest of his career plays out the same way it did.

In my opinion he would be nowhere near #15 all time which is where he's typically ranked if he played in the NBA his whole career. He won two titles and won three consecutive MVP's in the ABA and there is no chance in hell that would happen in the NBA.

Thoughts?

Default Re: What would Dr J's career and legacy be like if...

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8
    ... he played his whole career in the NBA instead of playing in the ABA till 1976?

Atlanta drafted him in 1972 so just assume he plays there until 1976 and then goes to the Sixers and the rest of his career plays out the same way it did.

In my opinion he wouldn't be nowhere near the same ranking he is not which is around #15 all time if he played in the NBA his whole career. He won two ABA titles and won three consecutive MVP's and there is no change in hell that would happen in the NBA.

Thoughts?
    It would have depended on what team(s) he played for. He nearly carried the Sixers to a title in his first NBA season.

Yeah playing against Jackie moon and coffee black is the only reason anybody's heard of this guy.

So if we transfer over all his ABA accomplishments into the NBA, his resume would look something like this

4 MVP's
    2 Finals MVP's
    12 All-NBA selections (9 First Teams)
    6th all time in career scoring

Looks pretty damn similar, exactly the same actually, to a player a good amount of posters say isn't top 10 all time

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    It would have depended on what team(s) he played for. He nearly carried the Sixers to a title in his first NBA season.
    If he played for the Hawks until 1976 since they drafted him.

If he played for the Hawks until 1976 since they drafted him.
    It would have been interesting. After Wilt retired, the NBA became a much weaker league. By '75, we had 48-34 title team, and in '77 a 49-33 title winner. Hell, in '78 a 44-38 team won a ring. And even Seattle's 52-30 team was nothing to write home about.

And I think a peak Dr. J would have won some scoring titles, too. Albeit, it would have been tough against a prime McAdoo.

In my opinion he would be nowhere near #15 all time which is where he's typically ranked if he played in the NBA his whole career.
    Yeah, he would be more like top 10. Question: what makes you sure the NBA was stronger than the ABA during that time period?

College superstar

In my opinion he would be nowhere near #15 all time which is where he's typically ranked if he played in the NBA his whole career. He won two titles and won three consecutive MVP's in the ABA and there is no chance in hell that would happen in the NBA.

Thoughts?

Hawks lowkey had a squad in the early 70s. Doctor J woulda made some noise on the Hawks with Pete Maravich , Walt Bellamy, and Lou Hudson. That's a championship caliber team on paper.

Nothing changes .

ABA was top basketball organization of America and World at between 74-76 .

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by feyki
    Nothing changes .

ABA was top basketball organization of America and World at between 74-76 .
    David Thompson alone before the coke and Crack was better than the majority of shooting guards that played in the NBA before the merger. David Thompson was basically the D Wade of the 70s. Thompson's only competition from sg in the NBA during that time was probably Earl Monroe and Lou Hudson and DT was better than both of them. Hell, I'll even throw Fred Brown from Seattle in there too but David Thompson was better than him too. I'll even throw Phil Chenier in there, but he was better than him too. The Aba can't be that bad if Rick Barry left the NBA to play for them.
    Last edited by MiseryCityTexas; 12-27-2015 at 09:07 PM.

College superstar

David Thompson's only competition at sg during the early to mid 70s was Lou Hudson, and George Gervin. Everyone else was beneath Thompson. I take back what I said about Lou. Lou was damn near just as good as Thompson as a player.

College superstar

The Aba and NBa were damn near equals when it came to competition. I remember Bill Walton's Blazers had a team full of NBA players that beat a 76ers team that had two of the greatest ABA players of all time in Doctor J and George Mcginnis. 76ers lost the finals because the 76ers played streetball, while Bill Walton's Blazers played Duncan fundamental basketball long before the Spur's existence.

Quote Originally Posted by MiseryCityTexas
    David Thompson alone before the coke and Crack was better than the majority of shooting guards that played in the NBA before the merger. David Thompson was basically the D Wade of the 70s. Thompson's only competition from sg in the NBA during that time was probably Earl Monroe and Lou Hudson and DT was better than both of them. Hell, I'll even throw Fred Brown from Seattle in there too but David Thompson was better than him too. I'll even throw Phil Chenier in there, but he was better than him too. The Aba can't be that bad if Rick Barry left the NBA to play for them.
    Actually , Rick Barry failed in ABA and then he came the NBA and he won championship without star or superstar in NBA .

ABA Teams always won against NBA Teams after 1973.

http://www.remembertheaba.com/abasta...hibitions.html

Skywalker was looks like T-Mac with x2 shorter career . Gervin was clearly better player than him.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    It would have been interesting. After Wilt retired, the NBA became a much weaker league. By '75, we had 48-34 title team, and in '77 a 49-33 title winner. Hell, in '78 a 44-38 team won a ring. And even Seattle's 52-30 team was nothing to write home about.

And I think a peak Dr. J would have won some scoring titles, too. Albeit, it would have been tough against a prime McAdoo.
    Elvin Hayes was a beast. Kareem was a beast, Lou Hudson was a beast, Pistol Pete was a beast, Spencer Haywood was a beast, John Drew was a beast, Adrian Dantley was a beast, Calvin Murphy was a beast, Dave Cowens was a beast, Walt Frazier was Gary Payton of the 70s, Bob Macadoo was regular season MVP, Gus Williams was Chris Paul of the 70s, Doctor J was Lebron of the 70s, Nate Archibald was a pass first Russell Westbrook of the 70s, Paul Westpaul was a great player before injuries, Rudy Tomjonavich was a beast, Rick Barry was Finals MVP so you saying all this crap about the NBA being a weaker league after Wilt's retirement is bullshit.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by feyki
    Actually , Rick Barry failed in ABA and then he came the NBA and he won championship without star or superstar in NBA .

ABA Teams always won against NBA Teams after 1973.

http://www.remembertheaba.com/abasta...hibitions.html

Skywalker was looks like T-Mac with x2 shorter career . Gervin was clearly better player than him.

NBA's strongest postition in the early to mid 70s was power forward, and center while the ABA had the best shooting guards and small forwards. The Bulls teams of the 70s were pitifully underrated. They had Bob Love, Jerry Sloan, Norn Van Lier, and Chet Walker all on the same damned team.