Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Default Re: What makes Jason Kidd so highly regarded as a PG?

in the modern era(post Magic's retirement)......Kidd and Rodman are the only players I can think of who can have zero points and dominate a game.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

His percentage wasn't amazingly high, but you can't discredit him when he's hit over 1,800 for his career.
    Sure you can. Why was he taking so many?

Kidd is who I pray Rondo can turn up like. People always think I'm off with comparing them, but they are very similar playing wise.
    The difference is Rondo knows he can't shoot and doesn't

John Stockton never had ridiculous numbers
    Take another look. Other than shot attempts, rebounds and blocks his numbers are about as ridiculous as it gets.

Kidd at his best was a walking triple double who performed the premium duties of a PG as good as damn near anybody. That premium asset in running the team and droppin those dimes. So the fact he was a walking triple double AND ran the team like a great PG should puts him in rarified air. Only Magic, Big O, and Kidd are PG's of that nature.

But u also have to throw in his great longevity being a great PG. And his defensive ability as well. At 6'4 and 210-215 pounds, he could defend PG, SG, and SF's. Once again the only great PG's like that are a Clyde Frazier, DJ, or a Payton. So all of these things encompassed him to lead that Nets team to two straight NBA Finals. Take Kidd off that team and I feel they are struggling to make the playoffs. Their wasn't another great player on those teams. It was just J Kidd. And he was one of the most exciting players ever at PG in his prime. So all of these things have him as an icon and a top5-6 GOAT PG of all time.

-Triple double machine

-One of the best post defenders of all time for a PG

-One of the best fast break players of all time

-Only player in NBA history with 15,000 points, 10,000 assists, and 7,000 rebounds

-2nd all time in assists

-Back to back finals

-NBA champion

-2x Olympic gold medalist

-Most games played among active players

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Nips
    He has the 3rd most 3 pointers made all time behind Ray and Reggie.

It's amazing how someone who was considered a terrible 3 point shooter for most of their career is 3rd all time in made threes (now 5th)

Like Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash are 14th and 15th. That's pretty mindblowing.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by selrahc
    Jason Kidd was a TERRIBLE three point shooter. He had no shooting ability whatsoever. However, he was very good in almost every other facet of the game (i.e. rebounding, passing, defense, etc.). Think of a Rondo with bigger size and higher basketball IQ.
    Jason Kidd is #5 in the history of the NBA in made 3s. And at 35% shot a respectable % over the course of his career.

And THAT was his weakness.

Kidd did what the team needed him to do to win. If his team needed 30 points from him (rarely), he put up 30. If the team needed him to have 15 assists, he did it. If the team needed him to run every opportunity, he was great at that. If the team needed great defense from him on an opposing SG, he did it. You get my point. Even his weakness which was shooting, he was pretty damn clutch and hit plenty of big shots. To top it off, he was almost always the smartest player on the court.

The only thing I'd change about him are his off-court decisions (beat his wife?, drunk driving, ditching the Nets high and dry after 1 year of coaching).

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Been a big Kidd fan since his college days at Cal.

It's weird because he's not athletic, yet he can start a fast break out of nowhere with his deceptively quick first step. I've seen him start half court mini fast breaks on set defense which is crazy.

He wasn't flashy per se (although he could be at times) but he always had a knack at finding people and making great no look passes. Was great at controlling the game's tempo.

He was a strong player, just strong on the block and too strong for most PGs to keep in front.

Oh... I know...he was like a mini Lebron.

If Lebron was 6'4 he'd be Kidd.

Banned

Nearly averaged a triple double a few seasons. That alone makes him special like Big O.

rank sentamentalist

he played a lot like chris paul does so everybody disrespects him because he's not a winner even though he took the nets deep over a multiple year stretch. mostly he's just known for flash and occasionally rallying the troops for months of playing above their heads at a time.

He's one of the most versatile guards ever. Elite passing, defense, and rebounding for his position. Could guard 1-3. Genius ball mover, didn't monopolize the ball. That's why he was able to be such a huge bonus even when he was far far past his athletic prime. He was a huge piece on the Mavs team that won, and when he later played on the Knicks he turned them into a 3-point bombing, ball moving offensive juggernaut.

Banned

Perfect example of a player whose impact and ability goes way beyond the stat sheet. Kidd was a bonafide basketball genius. Elite level passing/play-making, all world defense, great rebounding, weak jumper but could stroke it from deep. He had all the 'intangibles'- leadership, selflessness, etc.

He dominated games without having to score a single basket. Not many players Historically can make that claim.

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    in the modern era(post Magic's retirement)......Kidd and Rodman are the only players I can think of who can have zero points and dominate a game.
    Ben Wallace.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Been a big Kidd fan since his college days at Cal.

It's weird because he's not athletic, yet he can start a fast break out of nowhere with his deceptively quick first step. I've seen him start half court mini fast breaks on set defense which is crazy.

He wasn't flashy per se (although he could be at times) but he always had a knack at finding people and making great no look passes. Was great at controlling the game's tempo.

He was a strong player, just strong on the block and too strong for most PGs to keep in front.

Oh... I know...he was like a mini Lebron.

If Lebron was 6'4 he'd be Kidd.
    If Lebron was 6'4" he be Wade not Kidd.

rank sentamentalist

starting a team in 1996, do you take kidd or kobe, knowing what we now now?

kidd or iverson?
    kidd or westbrook?
    kidd or mcgrady?
    kidd or durant?
    kidd or webber?
    kidd or deuce wallaces?
    kidd or pierce/walker?

i definitely take kidd

kg and td and shaq and lebron and dirk and a few others.. webber might be a stretch i dunno. but if he played with another superstar in his prime, instead of those early mavs or shitty suns or overrated nets, he would be rated on tier with isiah thomas right now no question.

but what about those domestic assault charges from way back when?