Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: ESPN RAPM finally posted

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    I'm struggling to buy Manu being that high. It looks as though xRAMP is doing what it's supposed here. I would like to see a prior influenced xRAMP at this stage of the season though.
    Well he uses a prior in xRAPM, which is comprised of a SPM (statistical plus minus...something like his own personal BPM as listed on basketball-reference). Though the numbers on ESPN only use on year of lineup data.

Last year I believe he posted multi-year RPM/xRAPM on Insider.
    Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Pure Rapm is better for single season right. And where does he post the pure rapm
    Check apbr.org/metrics/ around the all-star break, or his twitter (linked above).

Tolerant Liberals

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    It might be sample size or it might honestly just be not trying as much. Are you going to go hard on D when you're up 20 or when it's a tie game?
    But are his opponents likely to go hard and play smart offense when they are in these blow out conditions? It evens out IMO.

NBA Superstar

So if you replace Andrew Wiggins with Austin Rivers the Wolves are a better team?

Advanced stats are so retarded, no wonder Houston is such shit.

plus minus is the most inaccurate and irrelevant stat imaginable, any "advanced" form of the former will always be well, inaccurate and irrelevant.

seriously can't think of a more worthless stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
    plus minus is the most inaccurate and irrelevant stat imaginable, any "advanced" form of the former will always be well, inaccurate and irrelevant.

seriously can't think of a more worthless stat.
    Don't compare players playing different roles to one another.

Ask yourself...why does almost every front office have analytics teams that heavily utilize it in personnel or lineup decisions?

Or, why do plus-minus based models lap the field when predicting wins?

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Ask yourself...why does almost every front office have analytics teams that heavily utilize it in personnel or lineup decisions?

Or, why do plus-minus based models lap the field when predicting wins?
    Those front offices must be really successful.

i bet the sixers are one.

Those front offices must be really successful.

i bet the sixers are one.
    Actually, it's every front office, except for the Lakers, Knicks, and Nets.

All IN
    Dallas Mavericks
    Houston Rockets
    Philadelphia 76ers
    San Antonio Spurs
    BELIEVERS
    Atlanta Hawks
    Boston Celtics
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Detroit Pistons
    Golden State Warriors
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    Portland Trail Blazers
    ONE FOOT IN
    Charlotte Hornets
    Indiana Pacers
    Miami Heat
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Orlando Magic
    Phoenix Suns
    Sacramento Kings
    Toronto Raptors
    Utah Jazz
    SKEPTICS
    Chicago Bulls
    Denver Nuggets
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Minnesota Timberwolves
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Washington Wizards
    NONBELIEVERS
    Brooklyn Nets
    Los Angeles Lakers
    New York Knicks

Actually, it's every front office, except for the Lakers, Knicks, and Nets.
    i clicked the link choose NBA searched for RAPM was nowhere to be found, bu thanks for the link.

i clicked the link choose NBA searched for RAPM was nowhere to be found, bu thanks for the link.
    RAPM is regularized adjusted plus minus. The link just talks about analytics integration in the NBA. If you're looking for more information check out here:

apbr.org/metrics/

In particular, one poster is looking to do put together a history of RAPM (http://www.apbr.org/metrics/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8995).

Anyhow though, just for starters, the Mavs have used APM (predecessor of RAPM using slightly different techniques) for well over a decade. Jeff Sagarin and Wayne Winston were the developers.
    Last edited by fpliii; 11-25-2015 at 12:22 AM. Reason: originally had said "APM (predecessor of APM using slightly...)" which made no sense

Very good NBA starter

RAPM is regularized adjusted plus minus. The link just talks about analytics integration in the NBA. If you're looking for more information check out here:

apbr.org/metrics/

In particular, one poster is looking to do put together a history of RAPM (http://www.apbr.org/metrics/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8995).

Anyhow though, just for starters, the Mavs have used APM (predecessor of RAPM using slightly different techniques) for well over a decade. Jeff Sagarin and Wayne Winston were the developers.
    So xRapm isn't the best for individual impact. Say you want to compare players with similar roles like Durant and LJ. We would have to wait till the pure Rapm comes out

So xRapm isn't the best for individual impact. Say you want to compare players with similar roles like Durant and LJ. We would have to wait till the pure Rapm comes out
    I guess, but I still wouldn't use it to compare them directly. It's just one extra tool to have (albeit a very good one). They have similar roles (so it has a good deal of use), but they're not identical.

xRAPM/RPM isn't bad though, I don't have any problem with it. It's an incredible predictive metric. If someone wants to use it for comparisons it's not the worst idea. But I just think it's important for someone to understand what exactly it is, and what it isn't.

Very good NBA starter

I guess, but I still wouldn't use it to compare them directly. It's just one extra tool to have (albeit a very good one). They have similar roles (so it has a good deal of use), but they're not identical.

xRAPM/RPM isn't bad though, I don't have any problem with it. It's an incredible predictive metric. If someone wants to use it for comparisons it's not the worst idea. But I just think it's important for someone to understand what exactly it is, and what it isn't.
    Of course you have to use the eye test too and context.

Of course you have to use the eye test too and context.
    Agree 100%. Watching games, and looking at both data and scouting reports is the best way to evaluate players and teams.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Kobe is ranked at 381 out of 409 players. He overrated himself thinking he's still top 200th player in the league.