Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default If the Confederate Flag offends people...

Most of the Confederate flag owners I have heard from try to say they don't support racism, they are into freedom and state rights and all that. While I see where they are coming from it's insanely disrespectful to try to just disregard the whole part of the institution of slavery which the Confederate flag also represents.

Shouldn't the US flag offend people just as much?

USA flag does represent the eradication of the Native Americans of North America whether you like it or not. I'm sure most people that fly the USA flag aren't celebrating genocide but at the same time you cannot turn a blind eye to it.

If people fly these flags while disregarding the atrocities that their nations have committed... What is the problem with flying a Nazi flag and claiming you aren't repping the extermination of Jews, but just the hard work and nationalism of the party?

Local High School Star

Default Re: If the Confederate Flag offends people...

Dont mind OP, his mom dropped him a lot when he was baby.

Local High School Star HitandRun Reggie's Avatar

Winners make the rules.

Does the Confederate flag represent racism?

Or

Does the Confederate flag represent the Confederate Army?

Some of us are retards. While some of us have brains.

I'm not offended by it, I just think it's trashy and for the low class. Same with calf tattoos and tramp stamps

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

People talk about it being offensive, but it is more than that, it is often used as a flag of intimidation. I hear people say, "Don't like it, don't look at it." I'm sorry, but a black person would not be wise to turn their backs on a redneck with a confederate flag. It is a safety issue for many, and people can't tell if you are one of the "heritage" people or one of the "Kill'em all" people.

People also talk about the heritage, but the flag was mostly unused for 100 years following the Civil War and was brought back to the mainstream specifically to protest the Civil Rights Movement. Not sure how people don't see that the flag was specifically used to symbolize hate, because the heritage bullshit was not a thing until recently.

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

The Dixie Swastika

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    Most of the Confederate flag owners I have heard from try to say they don't support racism, they are into freedom and state rights and all that.

"States rights" is code for slavery and the economic and social model it provided.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Maksimilian
    Exactly. Every countries flag represents some sort of violence. The American flag represents way more terror and crime than the Confederate Flag ever could and it flies freely everywhere. As does the British flag, the Russian, The Communist Chinese etc.

I think the issue is that the Confederates were the enemy of the United States yet theyre allowed to fly the flag anywhere. To me thats stupid.
    The American flag represents a whole ton more and was not founded or used to symbolize terror and crime. It was used to symbolize a country trying to separate themselves from taxation without representation. The Confederate flag is mostly about slavery. The Confederacy was also trying to separate themselves from another country, but their reasons were about them fighting for the right to keep black slaves.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

It's crazy how before this kid shot up that church, the flag was a non-issue.

The power of the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing

The power of the media.
    Power of idiots watching too much media

rank sentamentalist

yes, i'm sure in many a native village to modern day reserves, occasionally the us flag gets stomped and burned

The power of the media.
    It was an issue. It just wasn't talked about across the nation all at once.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPopazit
    It was an issue. It just wasn't talked about across the nation all at once.

That flag had been flying on that State Capitol for 40 years. Couldn't have been that much of an issue.

We live in the age of social media. Where our past transgressions or embarrassing moments are brought to life and we are then ostracized from society. It's a sad game of what else can we be angry at today? What social injustice am I not aware of that must be brought to the light?

That flag had been flying on that State Capitol for 40 years. Couldn't have been that much of an issue.

We live in the age of social media. Where our past transgressions or embarrassing moments are brought to life and we are then ostracized from society. It's a sad game of what else can we be angry at today? What social injustice am I not aware of that must be brought to the light?
    It wasn't that people weren't offended by it previously and the shooting suddenly made them offended. It was more that the shooting gave people who wanted it down the leverage to finally get it down.

Heck, the NCAA had a ban on the state from holding national championship games because of the flag.

A quick Google search shows many articles about people wanting it down prior to the shooting, including this one from October 2014: http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...campaign-issue