Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Johnny Flynn Signs With Melbourne Tigers

Quote Originally Posted by Walker
    Players don't come to Australia for the money. They come cause it's the closest country in the world in terms of lifestyle to the States. That and they can usually dominate and be the main man here.

NBL is still a hell of a lot better than the Chinese Basketball Association in level.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by SevereUpInHere
    We've just got a brand new stadium in the city so I'm definitely going to go to some games this year. The last stadium was a shit to get to.

Guess I'll have to support the Wildcats since the Canberra Canons aren't in the league anymore

I saw this on the news website this morning and was quite surprised that an NBA team hadn't at least given him a shot. I'm sure the vet min in the NBA is more than he'll earn here. Anyone know what he'll get paid?
    I think its more the lifestyle than anything, he gets to play in one of the best cities in the world.

I know Kevin Lisch of the Wildcats gets payed only a couple hundred thousand but they also bought him a car and a house on the beach in scarborough. He said he got a big contract offer in Europe but turned it down to stay in Perth.

People love to criticise the NBL but I find it really entertaining. They are still really skilled but the athleticism just isn't there. The passing and team work is really good and there are basically no stops compared to the NBA. It's nothing on the NBA but like Euroleague said its 10 times better than the CBA. The Wildcats beat 2 of the Chinese teams by 40 points in preseason without 4 of their starting 5 playing.
    Last edited by B-Easy8; 11-05-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Walker
    Players don't come to Australia for the money. They come cause it's the closest country in the world in terms of lifestyle to the States. That and they can usually dominate and be the main man here.
    Aside from Kevin Lisch who is about to become an Australian citizen tell me 1 American player who dominates this league?

Most of the American players that come over here are pretty garbage. Cedric Jackson is the only other American I can think of that is any good.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    It's pronounced "Mel-bin", not Mel-bourne....am I right Australians?
    yeah melbin. it sounds weird when people say mel-bourne.

Banned

So he's not even good enough for the Euroleague?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    yeah melbin. it sounds weird when people say mel-bourne.
    Today I learned something on ISH!

Quote Originally Posted by swi7ch
    So he's not even good enough for the Euroleague?
    He's good enough for NBA or Euroleague, but he's probably got a bad rep in NBA now. As for Euroleague, they expect results and the coaches are really demanding. Euroleague teams are not going to sign a guy that has barely played in several years.

But he might get a contract if he does well in Australia, then moves to a second tier European league and does well there too.

But Euroleague teams don't just sign a guy because he played in the NBA. Numerous players have come from the NBA and been absolute trash in Euroleague. It's happened so many times, that Euroleague teams have really become extremely picky about what NBA players they are interested in.

NBL isn't a bad option for him. If he has a good season there, then he can probably move to a Eurocup or ACB club.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Easy8
    Aside from Kevin Lisch who is about to become an Australian citizen tell me 1 American player who dominates this league?

Most of the American players that come over here are pretty garbage. Cedric Jackson is the only other American I can think of that is any good.
    Off the top of my head I remember Julius Hodge averaged something like 26 points per game in one his seasons in the NBL and then big numbers again when he was in Melbourne.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    Off the top of my head I remember Julius Hodge averaged something like 26 points per game in one his seasons in the NBL and then big numbers again when he was in Melbourne.
    He was good and dominated at the start of the season but when teams realised that he couldnt shoot he really started to struggle and his team didn't even make the playoffs. He also hasn't played here for 3 years now.

Learning to shoot layups NickTheQuick31's Avatar

Yeah Hodge was virtually a triple double maching while playing with Adelaide. His stint with the Melbourne Tigers was not as successful as he played with a broken bone in his hand for most of the season.

Flynn will be a different player to Hodge, Hodge being 6'7 with great ball handling skills made him a real tough cover for our no so athletic aussie SF's in the league. Being most teams get an import PG and big (either PF or C) Hodge was able to get into the lane at will in our league.

Its great to have Flynn in the NBL, the league here needs to get some higher profile imports or I fear the league will go broke and collapse. During the 90's all our best Aussie talent was playing here (Gaze, Heal, Bradtke) amd we had a bunch of NBA rejects as imports (Kevin Brooks, Darnell Mee, Todd Mundt, Reggie Smith, Todd Lichti, Acie Earl). I think Flynn will be similar to Patty Mills in terms of production.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by NickTheQuick31
    Yeah Hodge was virtually a triple double maching while playing with Adelaide. His stint with the Melbourne Tigers was not as successful as he played with a broken bone in his hand for most of the season.

Flynn will be a different player to Hodge, Hodge being 6'7 with great ball handling skills made him a real tough cover for our no so athletic aussie SF's in the league. Being most teams get an import PG and big (either PF or C) Hodge was able to get into the lane at will in our league.

Its great to have Flynn in the NBL, the league here needs to get some higher profile imports or I fear the league will go broke and collapse. During the 90's all our best Aussie talent was playing here (Gaze, Heal, Bradtke) amd we had a bunch of NBA rejects as imports (Kevin Brooks, Darnell Mee, Todd Mundt, Reggie Smith, Todd Lichti, Acie Earl). I think Flynn will be similar to Patty Mills in terms of production.
    Good post.

It needs to be marketed more. The successful teams (NZ and Perth) draw big crowds but the rest of the country know nothing about the league.

They should make a run at Kenyon Martin or another washed up NBA player. Give him $300k a year, a house and a car and market him.

Flynn will do pretty well but I agree, no better than Mills.

I think its more the lifestyle than anything, he gets to play in one of the best cities in the world.

I know Kevin Lisch of the Wildcats gets payed only a couple hundred thousand but they also bought him a car and a house on the beach in scarborough. He said he got a big contract offer in Europe but turned it down to stay in Perth.

People love to criticise the NBL but I find it really entertaining. They are still really skilled but the athleticism just isn't there. The passing and team work is really good and there are basically no stops compared to the NBA. It's nothing on the NBA but like Euroleague said its 10 times better than the CBA. The Wildcats beat 2 of the Chinese teams by 40 points in preseason without 4 of their starting 5 playing.
    It's the same as the Australian baseball league. Not huge $, but a lot of players would prefer to come here than somewhere like Puerto Rico or Japan.

According to one of the writers down here, a lot of NBA teams went shy on the guy after his hip surgery, so maybe that's something to do with it also.

I know you're very touchy about the NBL but come on let's talk reality for a minute here. 5 of the last 10 years an American import has been the league MVP including the last 3 years straight.
    Most of them would be garbage pretty much anywhere else, here, they're MVPs....

Ohh and it's more "mel-ben" than "mel-bin"

Quote Originally Posted by Suckafree
    The only New Zealand team in the comp. They're currently going for a threepeat.
    Are you a new Zealander?

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Are you a Kiwi?
    Is the correct question