Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tolerant Liberals

Default Re: Lifting How to Start

Forget all this advice OP.

The most important thing is to LIFT HEAVY, workout hard af, eat properly, and sleep a lot.

It doesn't matter what workout routine you follow or exactly what lifts you do. Pick a routine that you like and GO WITH INTENSITY.

Yeah good advice bro

You'd have him going all out on the preacher and cables

lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    Deficit deadlifts are a terrible choice for beginners
    It worked for me, but my long arms might of cancelled out the fact that they were at a deficit.

Even with lighter weight?

Tolerant Liberals

Yeah good advice bro

You'd have him going all out on the preacher and cables

lmao
    Well I'm sure even if he did those with max effort he'd get jacked.

But I forgot to add: focus on compounds.

There is the big 6:
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench
    Overhead press
    Row
    Pull-up

Personally I don't do squat deadlift or barbell rows because I just wing it at my condo gym which doesn't have barbells. I play enough sports for leg work and cardio anyways.

Just focus on those 6 and add some supplemental work as you see fit. Don't train arms, push/pulling days will already work triceps/biceps.

Just lift heavy man.

I don't like deficit deads for beginners because that's a very harsh leverage point and will no doubt overdevelop the lumbar erectors

The key to quality posterior chain function is to make sure the glutes are defiantly the key mover

Supplementing barbell hip thrusts 2x a week will give you that neural posterior balance in no time

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Why are people recommending Pull Ups to a complete beginner? Those are not a "stroll into the gym" type of exercise.

Also apparently no one read OP, doesn't want to gain weight. Stop recommending Deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Why are people recommending Pull Ups to a complete beginner? Those are not a "stroll into the gym" type of exercise.

Also apparently no one read OP, doesn't want to gain weight. Stop recommending Deadlifts.
    That's not enough to go on by

So he wants to starting lifting weights but not gain weight

So he's gaining muscle and losing fat

Or else why would he even bother?

Irrelevant of the fact that the OP is a troll account,

you can't rule out deadlifts like that

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

That's not enough to go on by

So he wants to starting lifting weights but not gain weight

So he's gaining muscle and losing fat

Or else why would he even bother?

Irrelevant of the fact that the OP is a troll account,

you can't rule out deadlifts like that
    Well I'm pretty sure it's Jameer but I'm tired of calling him out so I'll assume it's a real person. It doesn't even sound like they want to gain muscle, just tone up what they have, meaning body weight, and cardio. Sure, you can do volume deadlifts, but I have no idea why you would do that as a beginner. That's what you do to shred your legs once they have lots of mass.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Well I'm pretty sure it's Jameer but I'm tired of calling him out so I'll assume it's a real person. It doesn't even sound like they want to gain muscle, just tone up what they have, meaning body weight, and cardio. Sure, you can do volume deadlifts, but I have no idea why you would do that as a beginner. That's what you do to shred your legs once they have lots of mass.
    What? Volume deadlifts will burn more fat and "tone up" better than simple cardio.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by HeatFanSince88
    oh god no, dont listen to the dweeb parroting rippetoe. every guy i've seen doing rippetoe type workouts is some fat looking dweeb whos never played a sport in their life. these phags also take like 10 minutes to rest between sets because their autistic about the actual weight lifted. unless u actually want to compete in powerlifting down the road, dont fukn do that.
    Rippetoe's routine is actually pretty good even though I didn't run it. It's just that he tells these new lifters to eat a shitload and they just end up getting fat as ****. Strength and size the majority of the time come hand in hand. You get stronger = you get bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNaturalWR
    Rippetoe's routine is actually pretty good even though I didn't run it. It's just that he tells these new lifters to eat a shitload and they just end up getting fat as ****. Strength and size the majority of the time come hand in hand. You get stronger = you get bigger.
    It's an unbalanced program IMO because it's overfocus on strength and only strength. It's a program that is known for building unbalanced physiques (Which is what 99% of people lift for)... Not inherently the fault to the program, because if people actually bought the book/downloaded the e-book, they'd see that he goes more into detail, but even then I still feel it has holes in it's approach.

The vanilla program is poor for bicep development, and is a one way highway to muscle imbalances due to an extreme focus on the amount of weight lifted. For example, with this weight focus, you'll soon hit a point where you start "stalling" and form will breakdown. And at that point, I guarantee you there will be an a muscular and neuromuscular dominance/imbalance. It's just bad business having a beginner chasing the weight and not focusing on the components of strength and the movement.

It's why I personally think it's better to start off with the same strength based progressive overload compound movesments, but to incorporate the volume and bodybuilder isolation/accessory movements from the start. Sure it might slow down your strength progress by maybe a week or so in the grand scheme of things, but you are reinforcing balance and proper neuromuscular function. I went through all of this myself lifting way back in the start. Chasing bar weight gains on the bench every week. I eventually hit that stalling point, i was weak off the bottom of the press. I look in the mirror and I see overdeveloped delts and triceps. And this isn't me benching with horrible form, I was always meticulous. It's just that due to many factors, these imbalances arise. The simple solution was I started pause repping on the bench and I'd go to the rear delt/fly machine and squeeze the shit out of my chest 5 sets 2 times a week. It might have contributed to more fatigue for benching, but they generally say that after the novice level of linear gains, you add more volume.

From my experience, it is way better to add the volume from the beginning. Too many people these days are nazis on form, machines, isolation movements. Most of these guys are fat ass rippetoe nerds who were never athletes. The truth is the cross over from bodybuilding to powerlifting is extremely minimal in the grand scheme. Best to just do both principles.

Essentially TLDR explanation:

Rippetoe's program is too heavily focused on bar weight gains that it loses focus on the muscles, which make up the movement. You can have good form but even then, with such a poundage focus, imbalances will arise. Best to supplement good form with bodybuilding and accessory work from the getgo. You might take a few more weeks to get to certain strength benchmarks, but the quality of those reps will be a hell of a lot better and less of an injury risk.