Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Re: OJ Mayo asking Suns for $10Million a year

Quote Originally Posted by LOGoods7
    Beasley's contract is the most I'd give him.....
    I wouldn't even pay that.

Beasley is better than Mayo.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Side question: Ae fans in Phoenix upset that their team has no star and no one that looks like they can ever be a franchise player?
    Not really. It's been a long time coming to move on from the Nash era. We had Steve for the last 2 years and missed the playoffs, so not having a star or frachise player at the moment isn't bothering me.

It's not like they're overspending, and tying up a ton of cap room. With the addition of Scola, Beasley, Dragic, and possibly Mayo, they are aquiring a lot of tradeable assets that may or may not land them something in the future. I like Eric Gordon, but in a way I was relieved NO matched their offer. I think what they're doing now is still going to give them flexibiity going forward, which is something they haven't had in a long time. For the first time in a while I feel optimisitc about the future. I guess I'm willing to give this a chance.

Local High School Star CHi1PriDe's Avatar

He'll take less to play for the bulls.. when does he meet gar/pax in Vegas?
    Last edited by CHi1PriDe; 07-16-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Side question: Ae fans in Phoenix upset that their team has no star and no one that looks like they can ever be a franchise player?
    Not really. We just started rebuilding 3 weeks ago. Why would anyone expect them to have a "superstar franchise player" already? Suns fans aren't stupid. We know what to expect, we know this is going to be a long process, we don't need a "star" player right away. We just need to rebuild. We'll worry about getting a franchise player later down the road.

And lets be honest, "franchise" players are horrifically overrated anyways. How many players in the league can actually put a team on their shoulders and single handedly lead them to contention? Not many. So let's worry about getting a complete roster before we even think about trying to get a "franchise player".

Quote Originally Posted by Maniak
    Somewhat.

Mind you, as long as the team is more worried about making the playoffs barely and heavily recruiting a player like Robin Lopez to stay, it won't change.

Very high picks like what the Thunder had will rebuild a team, but constantly getting in the 13-15 range and never making big time trades will just leave a team in mediocrity. That's what next season is looking like unless Beasley, Morris, Marshall, Dragic, and OJ and/or Brown all break the hell out.

Or do you mean very high picks like what the Wizards, T-Wolves, Bobcats and Trailblazers had??? There's absolutely no guarantees in the draft, especially not with the lottery, not to mention that without Durant, Oklahoma is still a crappy team. If Portland took Durant, Oklahoma would have wound up with Oden and wouldn't have even made the playoffs last year....it was that close.

They lucked out on a rare talent, it doesn't happen often and planning your team's rebuild around a potential freak occurrence is apparently so much more logical than adding young, affordable pieces that could be traded down the road for additional assets and not bombing as a franchise and hoping the magically rigged NBA lottery doesn't go against you after you end up with the worst record and the 3rd or 4th pick.
    Last edited by PejaNowitzki; 07-16-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki
    He's not getting 10 mil, Suns have absolutely all the leverage, he's an idiot for having waited this long and now making ludicrous demands. Suns can tell him to kick rocks and nobody else is going to offer him more than $6 mil a year.

Supposedly Suns are now looking at Courtney Lee and re-upping Brown or possibly Leandro Barbosa as depth.
    What makes you think he waited this long??? He's always had interest from teams. The problem is they were teams lookin for a guard off the bench. With the way free agency shaped up he sees an advantage with Phx given the amount of cap space + losing out on Eric Gordon. The starting SG position is ripe for him to try and take. And in doing so why not set your price high? With the way teams have been throwing away money Phx might bite. And not bite on $10mil per but could go $8mil per. And you'll be calling Phx an idiot after having called OJ Mayo one. And you'll totally ignore how you blasted Oj Mayo for his demands because you're too busy facepalming whatever deal Phx gave out. Again, none of this could happen but my point is the possibility of it exists. So hold off clowning the guy even tho we both agree he aint worth it.

You act like OJ Mayo was in Dubai riding around on sand dunes all summer forgetting free agency exists. No teams just werent that interested in making him their plan A, priority. And he probably wants to start, not be the 3rd guard off the bench again like in Memphis. But you questioned all of this right? Of course you did!

Quote Originally Posted by CHi1PriDe
    He'll take less to play for the bulls.. when does he meet gar/pax in Vegas?
    He will take less when his agent finally gets him to realize that no one is about to sign him for the money he is asking. He is not taking less money to play for a certain team.

If he plays to his potential in a starting role then he will be well worth 7.5 a year. The thing with OJ is that even though he came off the bench, it always seemed like he was taking every shot he could to get his stats into starter numbers. If he starts wherever he ends up i see his confidence and IQ going up. He was basically asked to be our 3 pt shooter in Memphis. If he doesnt have the weight of being the only guy on the team that can hit a 3, then i dont think he jacks up so many unnecessary shots

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki
    Or do you mean very high picks like what the Wizards, T-Wolves, Bobcats and Trailblazers had??? There's absolutely no guarantees in the draft, especially not with the lottery, not to mention that without Durant, Oklahoma is still a crappy team. If Portland took Durant, Oklahoma would have wound up with Oden and wouldn't have even made the playoffs last year....it was that close.

They lucked out on a rare talent, it doesn't happen often and planning your team's rebuild around a potential freak occurrence is apparently so much more logical than adding young, affordable pieces that could be traded down the road for additional assets and not bombing as a franchise and hoping the magically rigged NBA lottery doesn't go against you after you end up with the worst record and the 3rd or 4th pick.
    I'll agree with that to a certain extent. Although to the freak occurrence, freak occurrences can always happen. Teams always need to take risks. Sometimes it'll work like for the Thunder, and other times it may fail like maybe the Wolves drafting two point guards.

The Suns aren't really extreme risk takers in that regard because Sarver is extremely worried about money.

My only problem with that is it seems like the Suns can get the young affordable pieces but never want to trade them. This is obviously something we'll have to wait and see to find out, but the Suns haven't been exceptionally good at trading players/assets to win a ring.

I'd give him $6 or so $7 per. Anymore than that is ludicrous.

Very good NBA starter

Can't blame Oj for asking for that. You see marginal players like Lin and Asik getting these insane contracts and why Oj. Get that gwop Oj or come to the Lakers at a discount and become a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Can't blame Oj for asking for that. You see marginal players like Lin and Asik getting these insane contracts and why Oj. Get that gwop Oj or come to the Lakers at a discount and become a legend.
    LOL Taking less money to sit on the Lakers bench behind Kobe makes you a "legend"? God you Lakers d*ckriders are so f*cking delusional.

Very good NBA starter

^^^^^
    Talking about championships. He can be part of one of the deepest Laker squads ever assembled. And once kobe retires he has the keys to the city.

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    ^^^^^
    Talking about championships. He can be part of one of the deepest Laker squads ever assembled. And once kobe retires he has the keys to the city.
    The Lakers aren't winning the championship.

Better to ask for 10 and get 8 then ask for 8 and get offered 6.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

This is why Clippers didn't even pursue the guy nor many other teams needing SG's like Wolves. Dude thinks he's an all star.. .