Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Default Re: Tell me about Kevin McHale's post moves

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS

If you are talking about sports..I'd still disagree...reporters,writers,etc even in 2011...if you pay attention would have you think that Black college and pro athletes didn't work HARD and sacrifice things to be where they are...but you know..just have NATURAL talent....implied and stated that top white college or pro athlete is "hard working"

read the chris mullin thread

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=239758
    Last edited by get these NETS; 11-18-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Dude could lose 90% of defenders off the fake after the first pivot, and the last 10% off the second pivot after the dribble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdtgUOiWHJg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXFIngeh6NY

You just don't see shit like that anymore.. ridiculous

Dude was very close to unstoppable, 1on1 in the post. Crazy peak, shame that it lasted so little. How did the Celtics even managed to have a better player in their squad is ridiculous, that 1986 team was simply unreal.
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 03-17-2014 at 05:50 PM.

He didn't do anything extraordinary or revolutionary, neither did hakeem for that matter. All their pivot moves had been done the previous 40 or 50 years of basketball and continue to be done today. The difference is he and Hakeem were lightning quick at reading the defense and quick to react with counter moves. Being lighter weight helps/makes that necessary, McHale was a skinny guy and Hakeem was just naturally quck. In basketball you use the tools your gifted with, so while a typical big man in the post might give you a fake to the middle than spin baseline, Hakeem or McHale would fake to the middle, fake the spin fake up than go underneath you after you went airborne all in a split second. It happens really quick and looks really complicated but it's actually simple footwork and fundamentals. They were just really good at making a quick read on the defense and reacting accordingly. They were two of the most fluid and quickest reacting post players as far as that goes.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 03-17-2014 at 06:36 PM.

those are some sexual nicknames

i love watching kevin mchale

His up and under move was extremely deadly

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

I made a thread a while back naming some of of his post moves. I forgot which one is which. I think this is the "slippery eel" move. It's my favorite. I can't believe he named it and used to do it a few times.

Slippery Eel against Ralph Sampson (crazy wing span):
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdtgUOiWHJg#t=01m42s

The Worm against James Worthy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdtgUOiWHJg#t=01m17s

I think the difference between the two moves are:

The Worm- When he fakes he's going to hit a jumper to attract the defender and get him off balance, but then he moves baseline to hit a reverse layup.

The Slippery Eel- When backs an opponent down, goes to the middle and hit a lay up over his shoulder. It's a crazy shot, but due to his length you can't guard that one on one.

I think the names are correct, but I don't remember anymore. Mchale used to explain them in this one vid that I saw. Mchale was pretty much unguardable. He had counter after counter after counter. He could hit a midrange jumper and his post game is arguably the best. He reads the defense perfectly.
    Last edited by Micku; 03-17-2014 at 06:47 PM.

It's not just the moves he uses, it's how he executes them: perfect read combined with a total optimization of his body stance. No one has ever exploited the potential of the up and under, in particular, to quite that extent. He took this move as far as it could possibly go.

I usually hit open layups

Was also an INCREDIBLE defender before the foot injury, he used to guard SF's quite often. But yes, he's post moves are the best of all time for me. Probably not as flashy as the Dream's, but more efficient. Averaging 60% FG in a season in an era where they didn't really care about FG% is amazing.

NBA rookie of the year

If you are only talking about peak performance and if you factor in the era he played in, he was the second best non-black player ever.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    If you are only talking about peak performance and if you factor in the era he played in, he was the second best non-black player ever.
    Walton...?