Good college starter NZStreetBaller's Avatar

Default Is getting out of someones way during fastbreak dunks considered BETA

My understanding is that players get out of the way because they either dont wanna get hurt posterized or dont believe they stop it.

If i was an nba player no matter what i would jump into them contest everysingle fastbreak dunk i cud even if i got owned. So eventually i would develop a reputation that i didnt care who u were or how hard u could dunk u aint getting nothing easy. Even if i get hurt or ejected

But so many players just step aside and say screw it. Wtf

Banned

Default Re: Is getting out of someones way during fastbreak dunks considered BETA

It's about not tacking up pointless fouls, dummy.

But yeah, you'd def. change the mold and be the guy that contests every time...

so bad ass. we're all impressed.

Banned

Default Re: Is getting out of someones way during fastbreak dunks considered BETA

Quote Originally Posted by Vaniiiia

you are a top 5 poster on this site with 3ball warriorfan euroleague

kd will be a top 5 player some day and i hope to be a top 5 poster

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

I'm guessing that almost every NBA player has done this at some point, so I'm going to go ahead and say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Jackson
    you are a top 5 poster on this site with 3ball warriorfan euroleague

kd will be a top 5 player some day and i hope to be a top 5 poster
    Stop this gimmick before you've gone too far. It is really, really lame. Make up a dif alt or go back to one of your previous. This one is horribly not funny

Quote Originally Posted by Vaniiiia

Lol welcome back dude. A few of the guys here miiised you i think.

Banned

lebron has like 500 of these

and he even has some where hes getting out of the way

this era is so pussafied its unreal

When there is zero chance of stopping the dunk without fouling then why the heck would you risk injury?

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    lebron has like 500 of these

and he even has some where hes getting out of the way

this era is so pussafied its unreal
    I know right. And lebrons one of those guys who actually has stopped alot of fastbreaks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NZStreetBaller
    I know right. And lebrons one of those guys who actually has stopped alot of fastbreaks.

thats only if he trailing

if hes anywhere close to getting dunked on he'l avoid that shit

Quote Originally Posted by NZStreetBaller
    My understanding is that players get out of the way because they either dont wanna get hurt posterized or dont believe they stop it.

If i was an nba player no matter what i would jump into them contest everysingle fastbreak dunk i cud even if i got owned. So eventually i would develop a reputation that i didnt care who u were or how hard u could dunk u aint getting nothing easy. Even if i get hurt or ejected

But so many players just step aside and say screw it. Wtf
    Sure you would, you little bitch.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal
    When there is zero chance of stopping the dunk without fouling then why the heck would you risk injury?
    I do agree that there are some times where conceding a bucket may be the best choice. However, I think some may be surprised that there's often still a point to staying "in the way" even if a block is out of the question. Sometimes the presumed threat of being blocked can be enough to force a miss or flub.

Here's the first example that came to mind. I guess the fact that it's Damon Jones serves as a solid example of the good and the bad. We all know what happened when he contested LeBron James. But he also had no chance of blocking Tayshaun Prince here. However, just being there forced Prince to take off from farther than he wanted, and subsequently rimming out his opportunity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYRBCl6x8cQ#t=3m25s

To answer the original poster's question - it depends. If a player is vacating the area because he's afraid of what people will say if he were to get dunked on - that's kind of weak, though it's understandable. Other times, if it's a very important member of the team with only a mediocre ability to block shots (thus suggesting a high possibility of fouling), it may be the better strategy to let that open floor second quarter dunk go without contest. It's all variable.

Decent playground baller

what happened in the 4X100 m mens relay today was a prime example of beta by Justin Gatlin. instead of going up against Bolt on the home straight, he chose to run the back straight. this was a golden oppurtunity for him to beat Bolt & come away with a little pride from the WC but he didn't take it. Anways, the US fcckd up on the final changeover & were buried in 2nd place.

Disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    thats only if he trailing

if hes anywhere close to getting dunked on he'l avoid that shit

actually i think players challenge fast breaks too much nowadays. if the guy's got it, let him have it - your defense already failed so stop letting your ego take over. in fact, i think this is one of the reasons people call old school defense soft, but it was just more of a mind game back then and less athletic/ego driven.