NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Retiring Derons' number

Be interesting to see if they let it drag out ridiculously over a couple decades like they did with AD. He has to be up there as long as Layden, Eaton, Griff and Horny are. Boozer was hurt too much. Okur, LOL! AK will deserve it too even if he leaves after this year.

Jazz | Utes | Raiders UtahJazzFan88's Avatar

Default Re: Retiring Derons' number

Doubt it, getting your number retired isn't always about how good of a player you were, and you only played for 4-5 years, it's an award for more of a commitment to the franchise for a long time, and still being relatively good.
    Last edited by UtahJazzFan88; 03-10-2011 at 10:35 PM.

I don't see it getting retired under the circumstances that he left. AK will most likely and Millsap maybe one day as well if he stays.

[COLOR=#000000]
    getting your number retired isn't always about how good of a player you were, and you only played for 4-5 years, it's an award for more of a commitment to the franchise for a long time, and still being relatively good
    He was committed to the franchise while here and I believe was with them longer than AD or Horny. Was the franchise commited to him?

I don't see it getting retired under the circumstances that he left. AK will most likely and Millsap maybe one day as well if he stays.
    It will be a joke if he doesn't. Other than Stockton and Malone and Sloan I guess no one deserves it more.
    [/COLOR]

Jazz | Utes | Raiders UtahJazzFan88's Avatar

You really think Deron was committed to the Jazz's franchise, because he was calling out the organization for not resigning Ronnie Brewer, and not making enough moves, which I guess you can understand, but he made a lot of statements in the media that really looked like he was leaving, he didn't look committed to a future in Utah to me, was the Jazz committed to him? No they weren't either. It would be a joke if AK doesn't get his number retired, Millsap hasn't been here long enough.

He was committed to winning. The Jazz never have been. He deserves his number to be retired regardless.

It would be a joke if AK doesn't get his number retired, Millsap hasn't been here long enough.
    As long as Eaton is up there AK certainly deserves it. Paul could be traded at any time unfortunately.

Newly signed Jazz small forward Josh Howard is expected to wear number 8, taking the jersey that once belonged to All-Star Deron Williams.
    Just as Tripuka wore A.D.'s number right after they were traded for each other.

I assume the Jazz won't retire No. 47 for Andrei Kirilenko, but I also wouldn't expect them to issue it to somebody else in the near future
    Got to be consistent. AK should be up there if Eaton, Griff, Horny and Layden are. Deron too.

Local High School Star CakeorDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Got to be consistent. AK should be up there if Eaton, Griff, Horny and Layden are. Deron too.
    Hornacek did far more for the Jazz than AK ever did.

Easy to say since he got to play on their best teams. AK didn't have that luxury.

[quote]So in acknowledging A.K. as one of the top dozen players in franchise history, I