Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man Connor B's Avatar

Default "Defense wins games/championships." - moronic

Maybe one of the most pretentious and false statements used in sports today, and it is thrown around on here a lot.

Let me state the obvious: championships are won by elite defenses AND offenses.

It is absurd to think that Indiana based on their defense alone can overcome top offenses in either the Heat or the western teams. Do you forget that they themselves will need to outscore the opponent (who by the way all post top 10 defenses)? Indiana will need to score versus the Heat or anyone else. You can't just play defense hard and let that be that. They do not have a guy on the team who can score at will, every championship team outside of the 04 Pistons in the last 30-40 years has had a very elite scorer (no Paul George doesn't qualify yet).

Evan Turner doesn't put Indiana over the top. I am not a Heat fan but this is getting ridiculous how everyone expects Indiana to win just cause they have great defense.

NBA Legend

Default Re: "Defense wins games/championships." - moronic

Bro the offense part of the equation is implied because everyone already overrates offense without context to begin with.

Offense gets the glory..

Quote Originally Posted by Connor B
    Maybe one of the most pretentious and false statements used in sports today, and it is thrown around on here a lot.

Let me state the obvious: championships are won by elite defenses AND offenses.

It is absurd to think that Indiana based on their defense alone can overcome top offenses in either the Heat or the western teams. Do you forget that they themselves will need to outscore the opponent (who by the way all post top 10 defenses)? Indiana will need to score versus the Heat or anyone else. You can't just play defense hard and let that be that. They do not have a guy on the team who can score at will, every championship team outside of the 04 Pistons in the last 30-40 years has had a very elite scorer (no Paul George doesn't qualify yet).

Evan Turner doesn't put Indiana over the top. I am not a Heat fan but this is getting ridiculous how everyone expects Indiana to win just cause they have great defense.
    Pardon my rudeness, but this is a bunch of retarded bullshit. When people say "defense wins championships", they are not telling you that offense doesn't matter. What that phrase means is that among the teams with high-powered offenses, a great defense is what separates the true contenders from the rest of the pack. It also means that while you need offense, defense is more important - which is true. A team with a mediocre offense and an elite defense is probably going to do better in the playoffs than a team with a mediocre defense and an elite offense.

Also - in what universe are you living where everyone is picking the Pacers to win it all? They are merely one of the contenders, not some consensus favorite. I think you need to start doing some stretches when you wake up and eating a healthy breakfast. It will sharpen you up for your day and you won't make posts like this that waste our time.

Agreed with OP. Have ALWAYS hated that "Defense wins Championships" Line. It's just so blatantly wrong.

Defense wins championships is not a moronic statement at all.

It is because defense leads to offense. And , btw, Indiana really does have a chance at winning the chip, dont know what you are talking about.

I see my Miami Heat when they play great defense how much better they are than any other team. When they forget to play defense they get smashed even though they are a good offensive team.

Did you watch the Superbowl?

Seahawks won the SuperBowl as the #1 defense beating the #1 offense (of all time)

The reason defense "wins championships" is because defense never takes a night off. Even if your team is not shooting well, they can still win the game by grinding it out on defense by stopping the other team.

Teams with no defense live and die by how well they are shooting. Teams with good defenses can win games even when they are struggling to score.

And that's what separates good teams from great teams.

a team with an elite D and average O has a better chance of winning a championship than an Elite O and average D. I think only 1 team outside the top 10 in D efficiency for a season has won a championship, and it was a Kobe/shaq team that argued all season (2002?).

Basically you're not a contender without a great D and O unless you're absolutely historically great in one or the other

People also say rebounding wins. It's doesn't mean rebound and do nothing else.

Learning to shoot layups

lemme guess, laker fan?

Mid 2000s Suns say hi

People will say this because defense is much less flashy than offense so they think it makes them seem like a more "true" or "intelligent" fan because they promote a much less enjoyable part of the game to watch.

Banned

You are moronic for not understanding this phrase. It isnt saying offense isnt important, its just saying that defense is equally as important to a elite team.

Good college starter

OP is a known hipster. Carry on.