Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #46
Jimmy2k8
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: What is your criteria for the MVP award?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23

I agree with this statement Lebron should be winning his MVP this year if he can carry the Cavaliers to another 50 win in the regular season.

How many times do I have to tell you this, Lebron will not and I REPEAT will not get a mvp with the roster he has...
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #47
Joey3000
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2k8
How many times do I have to tell you this, Lebron will not and I REPEAT will not get a mvp with the roster he has...

And why should he? MVP should be the most valuable player on a team competing for a title.
Joey3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #48
wally_world
Very good NBA starter

-Winning
-Leading
-Stats
-Fans
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:17 AM   #49
kidachi

Kobe deserved the MVP this year. last year it was a tie between him and LeBron. as great as Nash is...we all know the MVP didn't belong to him last year.

IMO.

my criteria for being the MVP:

- 50+ wins

- great stat line

- team is usually shrinking without him

- makes teammates better
Old 11-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #50
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidachi
Kobe deserved the MVP this year. last year it was a tie between him and LeBron. as great as Nash is...we all know the MVP didn't belong to him last year.

IMO.

- 50+ wins

- great stat line

- makes teammates better
I don't think Kobe has ever deserved MVP, especially without Shaq. He has points and stats... yeah. What about his win totals? Lakers have never been a contender since Shaq left. Put up how many wins last year, 42? That's easily not MVP worthy. Not at all. I don't care if you're averaging 35/8/8, if you have 42 wins, you're not an MVP, period. At least 53-55 wins or more to be an MVP in my book. I think people look at the words "Most Valuable Player" too blatantly. It's not entirely the most valuable, or Jordan would be at least a 10x MVP. You have to win, make your teammates better, be a leader, show positive traits as a person, all these things are looked at.

If you average 35 points yet you have barely over 40 wins, you should only be winning the scoring title, not the MVP award. The MVP is for winners, not players with good stats and not many wins, regardless of teammates. Your teammates aren't that good? Then sorry, you won't be winning an MVP anytime soon, unless you can pull out 55+ wins with mediocre teammates then you're possibly a candidate. But averaging 35, scoring 81 and having one of the best offensive seasons in NBA history... while barely winning over 40 games? That's not an MVP, that's a scorer with mediocre teammates.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #51
Jimmy2k8
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey3000
And why should he? MVP should be the most valuable player on a team competing for a title.

And the Cavs aren't that team competing for a title. As a matter of fact, The Cavs don't have a championship roster....
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #52
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

i liked bleedinpurple's definition. i think it's fair and reasonable and explains why guys like jordan and shaq didn't win it every year (couldn't exceed expectations anymore).

personally i like to look at total production and how important a player is to his team's wins. i'm not as big on total team production / title contention because that has so much to do with team composition. for instance, i don't have any problem with magic winning the mvp in 89 and 90, but i think jordan and barkley had at least as good of seasons and were at least as necessary to their team's winning the 45+ games that they won as magic was to his team winning 55+ (i'm assuming these numbers - could be wrong).

i also think the "who would i most want to build a team around for this one season" is a good question to ask for an mvp pick.

that's clearly not what has been taking place, but it's how i would do it.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #53
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidachi

IMO.

- 50+ wins

- great stat line

- makes teammates better

Why does your choice for MVP (Kobe) not meet your own criteria? That doesn't make sense.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #54
Ryoga Hibiki
I usually hit open layups

[quote=dejordan]i also think the "who would i most want to build a team around for this one season" is a good question to ask for an mvp pick./QUOTE]
The most important thing, imo, is to NOT make the award based too much on reputation. It HAS to be totally dependant on the actual results, personal and team wise, reached during the season.
Ask yourself that question and you're likely picking the same guy every year, basing it on past achievements and personal bias instead of actually paying attention to anything objective.
Ryoga Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #55
ConspiracyTheory
Banned

Quote:
What is your criteria for the MVP award?

quite simple:

ConspiracyTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #56
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

[quote=Ryoga Hibiki]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
i also think the "who would i most want to build a team around for this one season" is a good question to ask for an mvp pick./QUOTE]
The most important thing, imo, is to NOT make the award based too much on reputation. It HAS to be totally dependant on the actual results, personal and team wise, reached during the season.
Ask yourself that question and you're likely picking the same guy every year, basing it on past achievements and personal bias instead of actually paying attention to anything objective.
i don't see where that's an issue as long as you watch games and vote at the end of the season. generally speaking reputation is largely based on what you did yesterday in this media soaked sports world so it would be tough to get away from current results when determining who you'd want to build around.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #57
MeatAndPotatoes
I usually hit open layups

Lebron James imho. Without him, they would be THE worst team in the entire league. He single-handedly brought them to the finals all by himself last year... his team really sucks bad. It's amazing how good he is. I wish the Cavs did something to their roster. It seems they don't have a single legitimate player on the team besides Lebron who is really any good at all...

Lebron would absolutely dominate if he had even a decent team to support him.

Overall, that right there is the most valuable player in the game.
MeatAndPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:58 AM   #58
jimmyjames
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha_Hai
Simple.

MVP = Most Valuable Player

A player who their team cannot live without.

Kobe Bryant should of have won it.

Phoenix would still be pretty decent without Stevie, Mavs would possibly still be a playoff team without Dirk.
I disagree they wouldn't make the playoffs without Nash. Now take out either Marion or Amare and they still make the playoffs with Nash playing. The guy just make his team better....hands down.
jimmyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:05 AM   #59
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!!!1
:
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:08 AM   #60
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

What Lebron did last year is my criteria.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: