Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are dominant defensive/rebounding centers with sub .500 FT% a hindrance or an asset?

It's becoming more of a trend to put guys like DJ, Drummond, and Dwight on the line to either maintain or gain/regain a lead. These guys are sitting out full 4th quarters due to strategies putting them on the line.

So is it a hindrance or asset to have these players? Are the rules going to change to prevent hack a Shaq?

Default Re: Are dominant defensive/rebounding centers with sub .500 FT% a hindrance or an asset?

Look at Shaq's championships

Default Re: Are dominant defensive/rebounding centers with sub .500 FT% a hindrance or an asset?

Whether they are a hindrance or asset depends on your team style and other players.

For example, if your other players are already quite strong at rebounds and defense but lacking a bit of offense then it is possible for someone more offensive minded like David Lee to be much more impactful than DJ/Howard/Drummond.

On that note, it still baffles me that these players can't make their free throws at a decent rate. DJ don't even have the correct shooting motion.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    It's becoming more of a trend to put guys like DJ, Drummond, and Dwight on the line to either maintain or gain/regain a lead. These guys are sitting out full 4th quarters due to strategies putting them on the line.

So is it a hindrance or asset to have these players? Are the rules going to change to prevent hack a Shaq?

how many more guys other than the ones you listed get hack-a treatment?

To me that the biggest issue as to why there shouldn't be a rule change. League shouldn't make a new rule because 5 or so guys in the league suck at FT shooting.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime_Shaq

Shaq has a career FT .527%. And he brought GOAT level offensive dominance to the table, something none of these guys brought. Plus, Shaq sh*ts on Drummond's .380% and DeAndre's .421%.

Howard has a .568%, which is shocking considering he gets the hack a treatment so much. He was actually a 60% FT shooter his first 7 years in the league before taking a dip.

Right now, DJ and Drummond are taking FT shooting to embarrassingly low levels. To me, that just tells me these guys aren't taking it seriously.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Shaq was an unstoppable force of nature with the ball in the post.

The modern era is so weak fundamentally, that these new guys have no idea what to do with the ball if they are not catching an alley oop from their PG.

He's more an exception to the rule.
    In cases especially with Drummond the rule is effective enough to use whether up or down and he sits long stretches because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Shaq has a career FT .527%. And he brought GOAT level offensive dominance to the table, something none of these guys brought. Plus, Shaq sh*ts on Drummond's .380% and DeAndre's .421%.

Howard has a .568%, which is shocking considering he gets the hack a treatment so much. He was actually a 60% FT shooter his first 7 years in the league before taking a dip.

Right now, DJ and Drummond are taking FT shooting to embarrassingly low levels. To me, that just tells me these guys aren't taking it seriously.
    not sure about DJ, there's a video out there with him practicing layups and it is I mean shit, you'd get thrown out of games at the park for missing like that.

Quote Originally Posted by swagga
    not sure about DJ, there's a video out there with him practicing layups and it is I mean shit, you'd get thrown out of games at the park for missing like that.
    You shoot that bad on your 6th grade bball team, the coach would chew you out. There really is no excuse for these guys to shoot that badly. It just means they aren't taking it seriously. Shaq had a somewhat legit excuse because he was just a mammoth human being and the ball looked like a tennis ball in his hands. And even he shot almost 53% for his career.

FT is a fundamental aspect of the game and to me, this is just evidence that many fundamentals of the game are being ignored at the highest level. And as a purist of the game, that is somewhat sad.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Nobody is going to turn down a Ben Wallace or DeAndre Jordan.....

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

even with their issues they still dominate

an overlooked part about these guys is that they aren't good passers usually

having a 5 that can pass, and especially a 4 and 5 that can pass, really opens up your offense

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Shaq does have 1 championship from a season he shot under 50% fts though, and in the playoffs that year (2006) he was actually 37.8% ft. So it is possible to shoot free throws that bad and be an asset even while he was no longer the dominant offensive force he once was.

Shaq was only dominant defensively during the 3peat

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    Shaq was only dominant defensively during the 3peat
    laker team was dominant defensively because they were loaded with great defenders and seasoned vets and had players to hide shaq's vulnerability to the pick and roll

sorry but you can't be a dominant defensive player when you are a liability against the most run play in basketball