Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dilemma - Offer Jonas V the max or let him walk?

So what should for example Toronto, or any other team in that position for that matter, do in this position? You have a good player but he's not really max material.
    You either give him 15m more and keep your player or risk losing him and get absolutely nothing back while creating a big hole in your roster which evidently will make your team worse.

What do you guys think teams should do in a situation like this?

Banned

Default Re: Dilemma - Offer Jonas V the max or let him walk?

Sign and Trade him.

rank sentamentalist

if the team doesn't get to the playoffs with its current talent, you let him walk. if it does, evaluate how he performs in however many series they compete in. he's got strikes against him; not in shape, his game hasn't evolved, and he gets distracted / misses assignments too often. problem is its not talent at all, so if he's just not inspired with the current situation in toronto, he could well move elsewhere and progress much more. that's been a common theme for the raptors...

Meh.

Raptors should have complete control of the situation. He's a RFA.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    So what should for example Toronto, or any other team in that position for that matter, do in this position? You have a good player but he's not really max material.
    You either give him 15m more and keep your player or risk losing him and get absolutely nothing back while creating a big hole in your roster which evidently will make your team worse.

What do you guys think teams should do in a situation like this?

Considering hes a RFA, they can pretty much do whatever the fck they want. If some team decides to offer him a max, the balls still in their court.

They must keep him, but the max, seriously? Is that actually a possibility? He hasn't even taken the next step yet, still just showing promise.

NBA Legend

I dont always watch the Toronto Raptors, but when I do... I never understand why there's any hype around this average player who could easily be replaced by someone of MLE caliber.

Edit: LOL i hadnt noticed the above posters avatar when I posted this.
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 08-04-2015 at 11:16 PM.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Walk

Banned

Who is going to offer him the max?

I think it has more to do with his coach only playing him 26 minutes a night...Toronto needs to get rid of Casey and sign Thibs to a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    I think it has more to do with his coach only playing him 26 minutes a night...Toronto needs to get rid of Casey and sign Thibs to a deal.
    Maybe they do it after next season ? They already have one of Thibs former assistant coaches last season.

Also, coaching changes don't necessarily make players better. It's the same thing I've heard before with Bargnani. If you give him a better coach and more of a focal point on the offense, he will thrive.

NBA rookie of the year Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    Yea I really don't see how he develops, when he doesn't play enough or get many touches.

Yeah to me it seems like the Raps do a laughably bad job of using him. He averaged 12/9 on 57% shooting in his 22 year old season and they DECREASED his minutes from the previous season.

I don't see how it's a Bargnani situation - his numbers, especially per36, are excellent. It's just that he isn't being used enough and more than likely, given that coaching staff's incompetence, isn't being developed correctly.

That being said I don't know that I'd offer him a max unless he really breaks out this season, he doesn't seem good enough defensively to warrant quite that much.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    Yeah to me it seems like the Raps do a laughably bad job of using him. He averaged 12/9 on 57% shooting in his 22 year old season and they DECREASED his minutes from the previous season.

I don't see how it's a Bargnani situation - his numbers, especially per36, are excellent. It's just that he isn't being used enough and more than likely, given that coaching staff's incompetence, isn't being developed correctly.

That being said I don't know that I'd offer him a max unless he really breaks out this season, he doesn't seem good enough defensively to warrant quite that much.
    I dont know what his per 36 are but going by eye test he never really looks like much of a difference maker to me. Not a bad player, but like an Enes Kanter. Yeah he can score some baskets but hes not a big win-loss difference maker. Casey probably figures they can get scoring from their perimeter guys and wants to play his better defensive bigs.

Offensive stats arent everything. Look at Love's eye popping numbers in Minnesota, and look at their consistently bad record. Casey sees these guys compete everyday in practice whereas fans just sit and assume whatever ISNT being done could only work better - never worse. I think Casey deserves the benefit of the doubt. It's not Toronto's job to "develop" him in games. Hes a professional, his job is to get better. Tons of players have developed under limited minutes. Increasing his minutes wont just magically make him better.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

He has some real problems to work on, including cutting down on fouls and working on his mid range game. But he's got the potential no doubt.

It's tough to say because he isn't getting the minutes you'd like to see a young player like him get. But who knows if that's because the coaches see something that makes them not trust him or not?

They're in good shape since they can match. See how he develops and check back in during the off season.