Default What if Orlando hadn't traded their #1 for Penny?

And had drafted Webber to go with Shaq? Better or worse? I think they got several number ones along with Penny.

That could have been such a nasty front court.

Default Re: What if Orlando hadn't traded their #1 for Penny?

Logjam in the paint, Shaq and Webber is like Drummond and Monroe. One of them's gotta go. Still better than Penny of course cause he got injured. But trading for Penny was by far the right decision at the time.

rank sentamentalist

you'd need a good coach but it doesn't take a genius to make that high/low work. both excellent passers and webb was close to kg with the 18 footer. definitely better than penny considering how each of their careers turned out.

webber is also the perfect easygoing guy to be able to fit next to shaq's massive ego..

Banned

Game over baby.

Webber and Shaq? GAME OVER BABY. Surround them with shooters and you're set.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Logjam in the paint, Shaq and Webber is like Drummond and Monroe. One of them's gotta go. Still better than Penny of course cause he got injured. But trading for Penny was by far the right decision at the time.
    Did you just compare......

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Penny was a good fit with the team. He just got injured, but by that point Shaq was gone anyway. Webber wouldn't have done any more with Shaq than Penny due to ift, and the team without Shaq wouldn't have done much with Webber either.

Logjam in the paint, Shaq and Webber is like Drummond and Monroe. One of them's gotta go.
    It would be more like Griffin/DJ. Except instead of Griffin, you'd have prime Webber, and instead of DJ, you'd have prime Shaq. So, uh....

Can you even imagine the hi-lo game they'd have going on?

You can't blame them for acquiring Penny; they would have been a perfect 1-2 if Penny could've stayed healthy. But in retrospect, Orlando made a real unfortunate decision.

Of course maybe Shaq would have left for LA regardless.

It would be ridiculous. Scott Skiles would lead the league in 3s.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

I think they knew they needed a dynamic wing to pair with shaq instead of trying to play big

It would have been fun to watch. Instead we got to see Webber play for Don Nelson and than Nelson trade him away because he was having issues connecting with him. Who did he trade him away for? Was it an older Mitch Richmond? I don't really remember, could have been Webber, Spree, Hardaway. Can't believe the owner let him trade away Webber

But I digress, Shaq probably still leaves but I think it's easier to build around Webber than it was Penny. Penny was dynamic but he also got hurt more often than Webber.

It would have been an enormous deal because who does Rodman guard? The Magic basically would have had the Bulls ultimate weakness so this likely would have changed the course of many careers IMO. Also keep in mind, this is Orlando Shaq. He was still running the floor like a boss and made superb passes.

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    you'd need a good coach but it doesn't take a genius to make that high/low work. both excellent passers and webb was close to kg with the 18 footer. definitely better than penny considering how each of their careers turned out.

webber is also the perfect easygoing guy to be able to fit next to shaq's massive ego..
    I agree.

Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5S8EpWXC5k

Look at how many easy buckets Chris is getting his team. You can see that Shaq would be deadly with how Chris is feeding Muresan in this video. Pass first type of player.

wouldn't have changed anything really imo. biggest mistake orlando made was lowballing shaq

I think the story goes, Orlando wanted a 4, and had Webber pegged from the jump. But Penny came into a workout and demolished. Pinpoint passing, dunking on fools and they fell in love. Actually looked like the right move they first 5 years or so because Penny was that good. Then the injuries.

Orlando went and gave Horace Grant a big contract to fill the 4 role I think a year later

I think the Magic eventually ended up with (after more trades happening) Mike Miller being drafted, and Keyon Dooling being drafted with those 3 #1's they got from GSW but don't quote me on that, it was a while ago