Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tolerant Liberals

Default okafor will bust and here's why

His calves are too big.

If you look at any athlete, they are obviously slim and built, which okafor is neither of. How many players have drastically altered their body since coming into the league? Not many at all. A realistic goal would to progress like klove and slim down while maintaining his strength.

But one thing he cannot change is his massive calves. He basically has Asian Manlet Syndrome. He won't be able to move his feet quickly enough to guard the pnr or be a great man defender. He also won't be explosive on the offensive end. His ceiling is basically al Jefferson. It's clear that okafor used to e chunky, which is why his calves are so dam huge. He's worked hard to get his body to where it is, because it's not easy for endomorphs to become athletic beasts. It's far easier for ectos to put on muscle and maintain quickness than it is for Endos to lose weight and maintain strength.

I believe that he is very talented offensively but he will be limited by his physique defensively.

edit: cant believe I forgot this one, but this guy also cant shoot free throws

in my memory only big men on the spurs consistently improve their ft% throughout their career, so it looks like this guy is outta luck
    Last edited by ISHGoat; 06-23-2015 at 08:02 PM.

Default Re: okafor will bust and here's why

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    His calves are too big.

If you look at any athlete, they are obviously slim and built, which okafor is neither of. How many players have drastically altered their body since coming into the league? Not many at all. A realistic goal would to progress like klove and slim down while maintaining his strength.

But one thing he cannot change is his massive calves. He basically has Asian Manlet Syndrome. He won't be able to move his feet quickly enough to guard the pnr or be a great man defender. He also won't be explosive on the offensive end. His ceiling is basically al Jefferson. It's clear that okafor used to e chunky, which is why his calves are so dam huge. He's worked hard to get his body to where it is, because it's not easy for endomorphs to become athletic beasts. It's far easier for ectos to put on muscle and maintain quickness than it is for Endos to lose weight and maintain strength.

I believe that he is very talented offensively but he will be limited by his physique defensively.
    He's been overweight and out of shape his whole life.

Banned

So he's gonna be the next Kwame Brown because his calves are too big?

Okay.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    He's been overweight and out of shape his whole life.
    He's not overweight

Undefeated

thick juicy powerful calves

hes a carb loaded dude

I think he'll be Carlos Boozer-ish. I guess that may be a bust depending on what you expect from him.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    So, basically he's ceiling could be Shaq? Last time I checked, no one is calling Shaq a bust.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    I think he'll be Carlos Boozer-ish. I guess that may be a bust depending on what you expect from him.
    Light skin and went to Duke?? Can't think of another reason to use Boozer and Okafor in the same sentence

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    He's not overweight
    Weaknesses: Not a great athlete, rebounder, or shot blocker...Lack of athleticism and ability to be a game changer on the defensive end limits his upside... Has trouble moving his feet in pick and roll situation...Has problems finishing over length due to the fact that he's not an explosive athlete ... Conditioning has been an issue, though he has shown solid dedication to improving his body ... Lack of athleticism will hurt him at the NBA level ...With young big kids like him, conditioning is an issue. He has done a decent job of conditioning his body but he has a ways to go before he will be in optimal shape... While his conditioning at Duke was a great sign, he is the type of player who will need to work on this constantly and can still tone his body to maximize his athletic potential
    I pulled that from two or three scouting reports. They all say the same thing. Dude is out of shape.

Overweight wasn't the correct term.

Undefeated

I pulled that from two or three scouting reports. They all say the same thing. Dude is out of shape.

Overweight wasn't the correct term.
    where does it say he's currently out of shape?

i love how biased you are

nowhere does it say hes out of shape, but somehow thats the conclusion you draw from reading those reports

sad

Quote Originally Posted by KiiiiNG
    where does it say he's currently out of shape?

i love how biased you are

nowhere does it say hes out of shape, but somehow thats the conclusion you draw from reading those reports

sad
    You're right, three different opinions just said his conditioning will be an issue.

And they all agreed his lack of athleticism will be an issue.

He's in fantastic form.

Bye, Felecia.

Okafor has an immaculate feel for the game on the offensive end, but he often looks lacking on defense. He's slow to react to penetration and he tends to stand around in no man's land with his arms ziptied to his sides when he has to make a decision. With a massive 7'5 wingspan and such quick feet, you'd think he'd be a stud defender, but he looks like he's moving through sludge.

You'll notice a trend in all three of the clips above: Okafor is fastened to the floor like Velcro and is unable to elevate to alter the shot. It goes without saying that this is troubling as he projects to the NBA.

He merely watches the opponent score, making little effort to even contest the shot. In the one play he does contest, he gets pushed back, which was a typical sight this season. Despite weighing 272 pounds as a freshman, he got tossed around when defending penetration, rendering his strength useless.
    Last edited by UK2K; 06-23-2015 at 09:43 AM.

Tolerant Liberals

Quote Originally Posted by Foster5k
    So, basically he's ceiling could be Shaq? Last time I checked, no one is calling Shaq a bust.
    Not even close. Look at LSU shaq and compare that to okafor. Shaq in college had basically the ideal NBA center physique. Muscular, wide shouldered, well proportioned legs. I have been involved in sports all my life and the common denominator of explosive athletes is small calves with a big and high ass. Having calves as big as okafor's is like having weights tied to your feet. This is even more pronounced when your big calves are also LOW, which okafor also has, producing even more counter-torque when he is trying to move his feet.

Look at any great sprinter or jumper. I guarantee that they will have VERY skinny and small calves with seemingly outsized quads. That is the blueprint to be explosive. Without being explosive, he better hope he has skills like bird to dominate offensively, or otherwise he will be kwame brown with better offense but worse defense.

Undefeated

You're right, three different opinions just said his conditioning will be an issue.

And they all agreed his lack of athleticism will be an issue.

He's in fantastic form.

Bye, Felecia.
    what? you're a moron.

will be an issue? thats a prediction

where does it say hes currently OUT of shape, you idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by KiiiiNG
    what? you're a moron.

will be an issue? thats a prediction

where does it say hes currently OUT of shape, you idiot.
    Conditioning has been an issue

With young big kids like him, conditioning is an issue

he is the type of player who will need to work on this constantly

Do you know what conditioning means?

If I told a fat person they need to improve their conditioning, that is a polite way of me telling them they aren't in the physical shape they need to be in.

Undefeated

Conditioning has been an issue

With young big kids like him, conditioning is an issue

he is the type of player who will need to work on this constantly

Do you know what conditioning means?

If I told a fat person they need to improve their conditioning, that is a polite way of me telling them they aren't in the physical shape they need to be in.

all they're saying is that he might have to focus more on conditioning than other players, but what they're not saying is that hes currently out of shape which is what you originally assumed.

not being in optimal shape doesn't equate to being out of shape. everyone can work on their conditioning, he's not the only player in the world that can improve.

and im sure KAT can lose his gut too, hes no greek god.