Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Has there ever been a more lopsided "health status" in the Finals?

Honest, non-troll question. And I realize saying it that way makes it sound troll-y.

But for those that know the history better than I do... can you ever think of a Finals where the relative health of each team is so "lopsided"?

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Default Re: Has there ever been a more lopsided "health status" in the Finals?

2004 Lakers:

Losing Malone in the playoffs hurt. Losing an old Horace Grant during the postseason hurt them too. Slava guarding Rasheed?!

Rick Fox was also hampered with injuries that year.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    2004 Lakers:

Losing Malone in the playoffs hurt. Losing an old Horace Grant during the postseason hurt them too. Slava guarding Rasheed?!

Malone hurts. That Lakers team is not hampered with injuries as badly as Cleveland, though. But that's obviously totally subjective.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

By the end of the 91 finals Worthy and Scott were gone but they were not out to start the series..

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Malone hurts. That Lakers team is not hampered with injuries as badly as Cleveland, though. But that's obviously totally subjective.
    Better team defensively without Kyrie and Love. Just loose some offense albeit inefficient offense at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    By the end of the 91 finals Worthy and Scott were gone.
    Very true, Worthy became obsolete pretty quickly after the 80s title runs.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    By the end of the 91 finals Worthy and Scott were gone.
    Before my time. I know Worthy the player, but how important was Worthy that season? And Scott? Were they integral parts? How many games did each play? I can obviously google that last part easily if you don't know.

'89 Finals were lopsided health wise. Scott was out for the Lakers and Magic was injured and played just 75 total minutes, while the Pistons were at full strength

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    '89 Finals were lopsided health wise. Scott was out for the Lakers and Magic was injured and played just 75 total minutes, while the Pistons were at full strength
    Yep forgot about this one. Lakers had a helluva of a decade. They just burnt out at this point.

College superstar

Better team defensively without Kyrie and Love. Just loose some offense albeit inefficient offense at times.
    All due respect, but I'm not going to debate 2004 Karl Malone v prime KLove and Kyrie.

Edit: I appreciate the mention of that team, though.

2004 Lakers:

But none of the above was LA's second best player. Even though Kobe (their 2nd best player) shit to bed in that series, LA losing him after game 1 would have been worse.

For a team's offense that is simply LeBron or Kyrie isolation, the impact of losing that offense greatly outweighs any defensive gains.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Good call on that one. Thanks.

So unless there are more "entrants" this is the most "lopsided" the respective teams have been in terms of health since '89.

Makes for either a really boring series, or one of the most incredible series' ever. WE shall see which.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gyu
    For a team's offense that is simply LeBron or Kyrie isolation, the impact of losing that offense greatly outweighs any defensive gains.
    Really not a defensive gain at all losing Kyrie. Did people not see the defense he played on Curry game 1?

Most lopsided since '89.