Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Offseason Grade

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

Default Re: Offseason Grade

Can someone explain to me this stance on our FA moves that we're "building towards the future." Seems like everyone who supports Phil keeps saying this. Only 2 of the free agents we have are guaranteed beyond this year. This is a serious question. Not rhetorical hate. I'm really trying to understand.

Seraphin- 1 year deal
    Vujacic- 1 year deal
    Thomas- 1 year deal
    Amundson- 1 year deal
    Afflalo- Player Option after this year
    Williams- Player Option after this year

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but couldn't we essentially be starting from scratch next offseason if Afflalo and Williams opt out?

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    Can someone explain to me this stance on our FA moves that we're "building towards the future." Seems like everyone who supports Phil keeps saying this. Only 2 of the free agents we have are guaranteed beyond this year. This is a serious question. Not rhetorical hate. I'm really trying to understand.

Seraphin- 1 year deal
    Vujacic- 1 year deal
    Thomas- 1 year deal
    Amundson- 1 year deal
    Afflalo- Player Option after this year
    Williams- Player Option after this year

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but couldn't we essentially be starting from scratch next offseason if Afflalo and Williams opt out?
    You are 100% correct. Phil Jackson's incompetence is being protected by Knick fans passion and faith.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    You are 100% correct. Phil Jackson's incompetence is being protected by Knick fans passion and faith.
    No one will want to come via free agency if there aren't any players on the roster. This will be a repeat summer of failure banking on the free agency class with no one here. Unless Porzy turns into Dirk and Grant into Westbrook.

And if somehow, against the Basketball Gods they gel, Melo buys in with the freedom he'll have this year and Jax shows he can draft talent no one thinks the Knicks could buy another good player.

...cause Jax is a fool and doesn't know anything.

Some of ya'll fans, man..

Quote Originally Posted by smoovegittar
    And if somehow, against the Basketball Gods they gel, Melo buys in with the freedom he'll have this year and Jax shows he can draft talent no one thinks the Knicks could buy another good player.

...cause Jax is a fool and doesn't know anything.

Some of ya'll fans, man..
    So we're going to ignore the fact that pro sports is about relationships and his personality/comments alienate him. Strictly basketball speaking......

The team has it's (future) hopes built around a rookie PG who doesn't project as a career starter, a rookie (project) big who skill-set is best as a screener (on and off ball) as opposed to the high and low post like the Triangle will demand of him, and a second year combo guard with no vision.

Looking only at what will be on the court there is no reason to be optimistic.

College superstar

The player options are dumb, I'll give you that. I didn't know about them when I was defending those signings.
    I still say the signings are good, just not as good as I thought.

As for building towards the future? Whether the Knicks have the same players or not, the types of signings are what I agree with... younger players with some upside on relatively cheap deals, OR good, stable vets on solid deals.

After doing that this offseason, I fully expect Phil to do something similar next year... if he has tons of cap space, swing for the fences again, but barring that, I no longer expect him to make panic signings.

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    So we're going to ignore the fact that pro sports is about relationships and his personality/comments alienate him. Strictly basketball speaking......

The team has it's (future) hopes built around a rookie PG who doesn't project as a career starter, a rookie (project) big who skill-set is best as a screener (on and off ball) as opposed to the high and low post like the Triangle will demand of him, and a second year combo guard with no vision.

Looking only at what will be on the court there is no reason to be optimistic.
    ...and that's your opinion. I, on the other hand, am optimistic.

We shall agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by smoovegittar
    ...and that's your opinion. I, on the other hand, am optimistic.

We shall agree to disagree.
    How did your optimism work out?