Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Most important players of all time?

I'm not talking about individual talent, but in terms of impact on the game.

Who do you guys think are the most important player/players of all time?

To me, it has to be Magic/Bird. They saved the NBA from almost certain doom.

After those two, I got to give it to Jordan for taking the NBA to another level. He was the most popular athlete on the planet, and he happened to played basketball.

Honorable Mentions:

The Dream Team: People just look at their dominance, but the most underrated part of the dream team was their impact on globalizing the game. Great international players in the league today claimed to have been inspired to pursue basketball because of the dream team.

Russell/Wilt: I will admit, I am probably ignorant to the overall impact these two had on the league. I'm way too young to have been around during this era. From what I read though, they pretty much became a springboard for the league and were largely responsible for it's growing popularity.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Default Re: Most important players of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by dc_chilling
    I'm not talking about individual talent, but in terms of impact on the game.

Who do you guys think are the most important player/players of all time?

To me, it has to be Magic/Bird. They saved the NBA from almost certain doom.

After those two, I got to give it to Jordan for taking the NBA to another level. He was the most popular athlete on the planet, and he happened to played basketball.

Honorable Mentions:

The Dream Team: People just look at their dominance, but the most underrated part of the dream team was their impact on globalizing the game. Great international players in the league today claimed to have been inspired to pursue basketball because of the dream team.

Russell/Wilt: I will admit, I am probably ignorant to the overall impact these two had on the league. I'm way too young to have been around during this era. From what I read though, they pretty much became a springboard for the league and were largely responsible for it's growing popularity.
    Agree with everything.
    I do think in the early 2000s what made the NBA remain quite popular was the search for a new Jordan? Willl it be carter, t mac, iverson, ray allen, kobe bryant?

IMO the Larry bird/magic saved the NBA period and as much as I don't like David Stern, he made the NBA a much more global name. Man was a genius despite some controversies. His no drug policy and banning Ray Richardson for failing the drug test three times I Think definitely fixed most of it. I remember reading somewhere that Ray Richardson isn't bitter about it because he thanked Stern for saving his life.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    Agree with everything.
    I do think in the early 2000s what made the NBA remain quite popular was the search for a new Jordan? Willl it be carter, t mac, iverson, ray allen, kobe bryant?

IMO the Larry bird/magic saved the NBA period and as much as I don't like David Stern, he made the NBA a much more global name. Man was a genius despite some controversies. His no drug policy and banning Ray Richardson for failing the drug test three times I Think definitely fixed most of it. I remember reading somewhere that Ray Richardson isn't bitter about it because he thanked Stern for saving his life.
    Dude great point.

David Stern is one of the most important people in NBA history, without a doubt.

It sucks that fans were too stupid to appreciate what he did for the league and booed him during his last year. He was a genius.

Banned

Dude great point.

David Stern is one of the most important people in NBA history, without a doubt.

It sucks that fans were too stupid to appreciate what he did for the league and booed him during his last year. He was a genius.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zoom17
    He looks like a adorable grandpa you take to a basketball game

NBA lottery pick

The most important NBA players of all time? Of course, these individuals would have to be more than just great players. They would have to transcend beyond the court and into the hearts and minds of millions around the world. A few players like that come to mind.

In no particular order: These players transcended the game and pretty much built certain foundations for future generations.

1.Michael Jordan
    2.Larry Bird
    3.Magic Johnson
    4.Jerry West
    5.Julius Erving
    6.Bill Russell
    7.Shaquille O'Neal
    8.Kobe Bryant
    9.Oscar Robertson
    10.Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    11.Hakeem Olajuwon
    12.Charles Barkley
    13.Scottie Pippen
    14.Allen Iverson
    15.Dennis Rodman
    16.Gary Payton
    17.Isiah Thomas
    18.Tim Duncan
    19.Lebron James
    20.Yao Ming
    Last edited by Foster5k; 06-21-2014 at 08:51 PM.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

1. Jordan- became the most well known global name. The much improved international play we see today are cats who watched and were inspired by MJ growing up.

2. Magic/Bird- saved the game and brought bigger endorsements to the nba. More earning potential= better talent pool.

3. AI- the sleeves you see kids wear today, Sprewell's cornrows that AI made popular, the baggy clothes/ bringing the streetball style to the NBA that was all Iverson.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Elgin Baylor and David Thompson.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Foster5k
    The most important NBA players of all time? Of course, these individuals would have to be more than just great players. They would have to transcend beyond the court and into the hearts and minds of millions around the world. A few players like that come to mind.

In no particular order: These players transcended the game and pretty much built certain foundations for future generations.

1.Michael Jordan
    2.Larry Bird
    3.Magic Johnson
    4.Jerry West
    5.Julius Erving
    6.Bill Russell
    7.Shaquille O'Neal
    8.Kobe Bryant
    9.Oscar Robertson
    10.Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    11.Hakeem Olajuwon
    12.Charles Barkley
    13.Scottie Pippen
    14.Allen Iverson
    15.Dennis Rodman
    16.Gary Payton
    17.Isiah Thomas
    18.Tim Duncan
    19.Lebron James
    20.Yao Ming
    No Wilt and Mikan? They created rules to stop them and the former is riddled in the record books.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    No Wilt and Mikan? They created rules to stop them and the former is riddled in the record books.
    List is not complete. I just threw out some names that popped in my head quickly. Both of those guys definitely belong on any most important players list.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Magic/Bird
    Jordan
    AI
    Barkley
    Shaq/Kobe
    Lerbron

-All these guys were somewhat the face of the league at one time, and brought in the viewers.

HM for Dr. J

Yea, I'd probably also say Magic/Bird, then Jordan took it to a whole new level (also "ruining" various things about the game though, needs to be said too, even if indirectly or not solo).

3-time NBA All-Star

Dude great point.

then you exposed your IQ again. League was better before stern. If a boring sport(baseball) can beat your ass then you know your not doing well. These lebron stans really have the lowest standards

In order to appreciate the NBA we have to go way back.

IMO Doctor Julius Serving is *THE* most important player. During his era in the 1970s, he was witnessing the professional outlet of his beloved sport of basketball about to be eradicated. The NBA and the aba were battling each other to pieces. Doctor J became the true ambassador of the sport of basketball. His personality innately cool, his on court style, his afro, his articulate manner of speaking...all contributed to appeal to white America which perceived pro basketball to be too full of black Americans who are paid too much money, use too much drugs, and are too violent on the court.

Magic and Bird took over from there then Michael Jordan brought basketball to a new stratosphere.

But it started with the Doctor.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Wilt and Dr. J