Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: All-Time Best Defenders (DHOF)

Quote Originally Posted by GP_20
    Like I said, you can't compare Camby and Russell in this, just like you don't compare Joe Dumars and Michael Jordan when selecting Joe Dumars for the NBA HOF. Just because Jordan and Russell are WAY better, doesn't mean Camby or Dumars belong in the HOF. Get my analogy?

But I used the DPOY sort of like the NBA used the MVP in selecting HOFs, every MVP is in the NBA HOF.

I know he gambles a lot, but his shot-blocking is historic as I showed earlier. I guess in the end it's close, but remember, you aren't comparing him against the best in the list. Compare his defense to someone like Kobe's defense, and tell me if Camby is not on that level.
    Well, if you're solely basing this on shot blocking, then I can see a case for him. But, in terms of overall defensive impact, I can't. And I don't necessarily agree with your DPOY/HOF/MVP comparison. Some players are a victim of certain circumstances such as most people feel guys like AI, Nash, Malone didn't deserve their MVPs, most people also feel Duncan has deserved several DPOYs etc. So, just to include them based on an individual awards that they might not have deserved shouldn't be the criteria unless put into proper context.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anti404
    many will probably disagree with me, but I believe Shaquille deserves a spot on this; he had a few all defensive selections, but that's not my reasoning as to why. he was a great shot-blocker, great rebounder, and huge, intimidating presence in the post. his pick and roll defense is pretty sub-par, but his post defense is pretty great.
    Shaq couldn't guard a lamp post. he strength was merely his massive size taking up the paint.
    seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by AirJordan23
    Well, if you're solely basing this on shot blocking, then I can see a case for him. But, in terms of overall defensive impact, I can't. And I don't necessarily agree with your DPOY/HOF/MVP comparison. Some players are a victim of certain circumstances such as most people feel guys like AI, Nash, Malone didn't deserve their MVPs, most people also feel Duncan has deserved several DPOYs etc. So, just to include them based on an individual awards that they might not have deserved shouldn't be the criteria unless put into proper context.
    But at the end of the day, Malone, Nash, AI, are all going to the HOF. And all the other non-deserving MVPs are also going to the HOF. That's what I was getting at, whether deserved or not, all the MVPs are in the NBA HOF.

And yeah he is a great shot-blocker, and really just the presence of a shot-blocker like him can do a lot. It really makes a team adjust their game plan when facing a defender like him.

But I know what you mean, it's pretty close. And believe me, he was one of the last ones to be added.

Banned

See I'm not the only one who thinks Camby is overrated.
    I think hes pretty under rated too, hes been a top five defender in the league most every year his been here (except the years he was injured in Denver). He basically carried Denver on Defense the past three years.

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    I think hes pretty under rated too, hes been a top five defender in the league most every year his been here (except the years he was injured in Denver). He basically carried Denver on Defense the past three years.
    Then why don't you counter AirJordan's arguments.

I think he is overrated, but still barely good enough to make this list. Yet even though I think he is overrated, I'm forced to argue for him.

Charles Oakley anyone??

7-time NBA All-Star

The list seems complete to me.

Edit: I somehow forgot about Oakley. That 1990's Knicks team was my favorite with Ewing, Oakley, Starks, Anthony Mason, Derek Harper ect.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
    Shaq couldn't guard a lamp post. he strength was merely his massive size taking up the paint.
    seriously.
    The only thing Shaq didn't do defensively is guard jump shooters well. He was a good post defender, a dominant presence blocking shots and rebounder among the league leaders most years and scaring people away from the paint. He wasn't a great defender, but he had a great impact defensively.
    Last edited by ShaqAttack3234; 08-09-2009 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Charles Oakley anyone??
    yes.

One of the forwards from the Minny Lakers, Pollard or Mikkleson was a great defender, Jermaine O'Neal maybe. Doug Christie maybe also?

Charles Oakley anyone??
    I don't know about Oakley

He made 2 All-Defensive teams in his career. He played in a big market too. Also, never was really that injured...He wasn't a Center either, a foward, yet he made 2...I'm running out of excuses...

He was a great post-defender, physical, strong, etc. Not a shot-blocking threat though.

And no excuse, especially as a foward, for 2 All-D teams.

I don't know about Oakley

He made 2 All-Defensive teams in his career. He played in a big market too. Also, never was really that injured...He wasn't a Center either, a foward, yet he made 2...I'm running out of excuses...

He was a great post-defender, physical, strong, etc. Not a shot-blocking threat though.

And no excuse, especially as a foward, for 2 All-D teams.
    Who were the forwards making it over him on the regular, Pippen, Rodman, and who else?

Just thought of someone else, Buck Williams

Who were the forwards making it over him on the regular, Pippen, Rodman, and who else?

Just thought of someone else, Buck Williams
    Yeah I considered all of them. But I think they would be a level below anyone else on the list. Buck Williams, also a 4 Time All-D selection on the foward spot. He had longevity too, but that's as far as he got.

I mean, I know Oakley and Buck were good, but they weren't great. Both good post defenders, who weren't good shot blockers, but they weren't great.

Banned

Wade? He might deserve it, unless you ignore him because hes to young. Maybe Clyde too.

Yeah I considered all of them. But I think they would be a level below anyone else on the list. Buck Williams, also a 4 Time All-D selection on the foward spot. He had longevity too, but that's as far as he got.

I mean, I know Oakley and Buck were good, but they weren't great. Both good post defenders, who weren't good shot blockers, but they weren't great.
    They were both power forwards, how many power forwards were great shot blockers, not Dennis Rodman or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Wade? He might deserve it, unless you ignore him because hes to young. Maybe Clyde too.
    Drexler? No
    This is an All-Time best defender list people, just keep that in mind.

Wade, maybe later, but no way right now. Dwight is the closest one to entering, but even him, despite his DPOY, I think needs at least a few more years in his career to enter it.