Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Default Re: All-Time Best Defenders (DHOF)

Quote Originally Posted by GP_20
    It's funny how underrated Jerry West's defense has become...

Well anyways, yes he was one of the top defenders in the league during his time. He had lengthy arms, and was able to get a lot of steals that way. Also was a pretty good shot-blocker for a guard, and was able to effect jump-shots with those long arms. He had great hands as well.

All-Defensive teams awards started in 1969. West was already 30 by then, but he made All-Defensive teams for 5 years in a row. Including, 4 All-Defensive 1sts. If they kept them for all 14 years he played, he could've easily had at least 10 All-D selections.

Lastly, the NBA kept steals for just 1 year of West's career, that was his last at age 35. He still got 2.6spg. Many call him the best ball theif ever, just imagine his spg if they kept that stat all his career.
    Well said! And YES West deserves to be on the list. In terms of mastering scoring, passing, defense, and rebounding, West the THE BEST GUARD OF ALL TIME until Jordan came along. Big O back in the day wasn't a great defender. So that gave West the edge in the two way sense. Everything in those categories was great. Even today, u can't really name many guards who are great at all of those things.

Learning to shoot layups

I think Kawhi Leonard has a serious case for making the list.
    FMVP, shut down LeBron, and made 3 deep playoff runs in his first 3 seasons. Always guarding the opposing team's best perimeter offensive player.

Plus look at his advanced stats and impact on the court. Definitely the Spurs mvp.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ruler
    FMVP, shut down LeBron, and made 3 deep playoff runs in his first 3 seasons. Always guarding the opposing team's best perimeter offensive player.

Plus look at his advanced stats and impact on the court. Definitely the Spurs mvp.
    he's so young that guy is going to be truly amazing because it's usually the older guys with lots of experience that get more of the recognition as high caliber defenders but you are exactly right.... he zoomed past most of the league just almost overnight.

OP....... I agree with the guys talking about Kirelenko, he ought to be on there..........

ABA & Sixer great Bobby Jones is missing from this awesome list.

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi

ABA & Sixer great Bobby Jones is missing from this awesome list.
    He's on there you missed him. Come on how can anyone leave Bobby Jones off of a all-time great defenders list.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    TLP, you cannot base your whole argument on DRAPM or DBPM. It just doesn't tell the whole story..it's inflated for some players, inconsistent for others.

Example..Giannis currently at a 2.4 DBPM...which to an extent makes sense...he's visibly our most impactful defender..guards point guards one possession, then the next possession he's swatting centers at the rim. But do I think he's a better defender than prime Artest defensively? Not at all.

I think it's a good metric, but it is not the end all judgement on these players. AK was an awesome player..but he's not some transcendent defender that blows away defenders like Artest and Bowen just because of that stat.
    This.

I mean, I agree Kirilenko has some great stats. But I watched his entire prime. As have others. He was a great team defender capable of racking up the steals and blocks. But he was not the best man to man defender, at the end of the day he was just just selected to the All-Defensive team 3 times as a forward with just 1 All-Defensive 1st. To me he has the resume of a good defender, someone who when you look at his career you will definitely say yeah he was a good defender. But an all-time great defender? I don't know about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruler

Someday or sure....is he already there? Don't think so.

So far here are the players I am thinking about adding based on all the feedback and arguments:

Marc Gasol (100%)
    Joakim Noah (100%)
    Gus Johnson (90%)

Dan Roundfield (70%)
    Tony Allen (65%)

AK-47
    CP3
    Ibaka
    Leonard
    Marion
    Igoudala

The dotted line is the seperation of players who will go in vs. not go in for now. Everything is ordered. AK-47 is still the closest call to make here.

Gus Johnson should be here. He was better or as good as Dave DeBusschere.

ben wallace >>> camby

Quote Originally Posted by houston
    ben wallace >>> camby
    I agree...and both are on the list....