Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default All-around players are overrated

Hello everybody, I haven't seen this thought put out here, at least not in the recent history.
    I want to talk about guys that can do it all. The all-around players that are really loved by fans, obviously because they always make the extra pass and throw the responsibility for a loss of of their shoulders.
    History has shown that all-around players haven't had that much team success compared to scorers and post-dominant players. And that's kinda surprising, isn't it?
    Keep in mind that i'm not taking defense, clutchness, and factors like that into deciding what is an all-around player, i'm strictly talking 'bout those guys, that are known for their pts-reb-ast stats and one another major thing is that they're willing to pass the ball late.
    I'll just name an equal amount of one-thing-dominant players and all-around players and add their amount of rings together to have a perspective on this opinion, that the new generation of fans aren't to supposed to agree with.
    So let's take MJ+Kobe+Wilt+Dream+Moses+admiral+elvin+Reed. That's 6+5+2+2+1+2+1+2=21 rings.
    Magic+Bird+LBJ+Oscar+KG+JKidd+Dr.J+Elgin accounts for 5+3+1+1+1+1+1+0=13 rings
    Keep in mind that I left out duncan who probably coud've been in the one thing dominant group, and bill russell who excelled at defense and rebounding but was just a mediocre scorer. IF we add both of those guys the margin between the two groups is like three times bigger.
    Again, this thread is not to diminish the likes of lbj, oscar or guys like that, this is just for discussing and deciding between all-arounds and one-thing-dominants(this is a terrible term, but english is not my first language, i apologize).
    So what do you think?

Default Re: All-around players are overrated

Craig Smith & Steve Novak >> Lamar Odom

LeBron > Kobe.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

English not being your first language im gonna assume there was a bit of a misunderstanding.

How do you list guys like Wilt and MJ as one thing dominant guys? Wilt led the NBA in assists once, was second another season, and MJ was doing 30+/8/8 and 30/6/6 on a regular basis. They had all around numbers to match anyones. Hell David Robinson was doing like 30/11/5/3/3 at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by tazb

LeBron > Kobe.
    Your IQ must be challenging the double digit barrier by now. Or is it still in single digits?

ISH' Muslim Community LEFT4DEAD's Avatar

MJ one dimensional

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    English not being your first language im gonna assume there was a bit of a misunderstanding.

How do you list guys like Wilt and MJ as one thing dominant guys? Wilt led the NBA in assists once, was second another season, and MJ was doing 30+/8/8 and 30/6/6 on a regular basis. They had all around numbers to match anyones. Hell David Robinson was doing like 30/11/5/3/3 at one point.
    Wilt was doing that assist-leading stuff intentionally, he wasn't naturally like that. Although one of his rings came as him being used as a somewhat all-around player, so there's truth to your thought.
    MJ was the same thing, he averaged 30/8/8 by playing a PG, that wasn't something that he has done consistently in his career though.
    What I mean by one-thing-dominant is that one aspect of the game overshadows other aspects.
    MJ was known for his scoring, and when his team needed a push he took on all of the scoring, Wilt, on the other hand, has consistently failed to wing as a dominant player, so you're probably right on wilt, we can move him to the all-around group. The problem with that is that we need to add somebody in his place, and I won't hesitate to put duncan in anymore. That still came out as a plus for one-aspect-dominants(maybe that's a better term, but still sounds terrible)

Quote Originally Posted by Quintilianus
    Hello everybody, I haven't seen this thought put out here, at least not in the recent history.
    I want to talk about guys that can do it all. The all-around players that are really loved by fans, obviously because they always make the extra pass and throw the responsibility for a loss of of their shoulders.
    History has shown that all-around players haven't had that much team success compared to scorers and post-dominant players. And that's kinda surprising, isn't it?
    Keep in mind that i'm not taking defense, clutchness, and factors like that into deciding what is an all-around player, i'm strictly talking 'bout those guys, that are known for their pts-reb-ast stats and one another major thing is that they're willing to pass the ball late.
    I'll just name an equal amount of one-thing-dominant players and all-around players and add their amount of rings together to have a perspective on this opinion, that the new generation of fans aren't to supposed to agree with.
    So let's take MJ+Kobe+Wilt+Dream+Moses+admiral+elvin+Reed. That's 6+5+2+2+1+2+1+2=21 rings.
    Keep in mind that I left out duncan who probably coud've been in the one thing dominant group, and bill russell who excelled at defense and rebounding but was just a mediocre scorer. IF we add both of those guys the margin between the two groups is like three times bigger.
    Again, this thread is not to diminish the likes of lbj, oscar or guys like that, this is just for discussing and deciding between all-arounds and one-thing-dominants(this is a terrible term, but english is not my first language, i apologize).
    So what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    You do realize that registration was opened very recently?
    I have been lurking on here for quite some time now

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

I understand what you're trying to say but I don't understand how you can believe it

Wilt was doing that assist-leading stuff intentionally, he wasn't naturally like that. Although one of his rings came as him being used as a somewhat all-around player, so there's truth to your thought.
    MJ was the same thing, he averaged 30/8/8 by playing a PG, that wasn't something that he has done consistently in his career though.What I mean by one-thing-dominant is that one aspect of the game overshadows other aspects.
    MJ was known for his scoring, and when his team needed a push he took on all of the scoring, Wilt, on the other hand, has consistently failed to wing as a dominant player, so you're probably right on wilt, we can move him to the all-around group. The problem with that is that we need to add somebody in his place, and I won't hesitate to put duncan in anymore. That still came out as a plus for one-aspect-dominants(maybe that's a better term, but still sounds terrible)

MJ's Career Average: 30/6/5/2 Stls

<3 LeBron <3 Heat <3 The Choken One's Avatar

Trying to sound smart, huh OP?

Well knock it off because right now you look like a fhcking idiot. Did you even believe the chit you just spit out?

Quote Originally Posted by HYJ
    MJ's Career Average: 30/6/5/2 Stls
    Yes, but scoring was that man's first and second weapon and you know that.

Please note that i'm not trying to say that MJ, Kobe, Duncan or anybody on that list couldn't do anything besides their one dominant aspect. I'm just saying that aspect significantly outshined other aspects.

You can call lebron an elite scorer, maybe not a top3 scorer, but he's 4th at the lowest, so that's debatable, but he still has an elite passing ability, he's a decent rebounder too. There's games where his scoring numbers aren't really mind-blowing, but he has like 9 assists and 9 rebs, so that somewhat makeups for it, at least in the eyes of the fans.
    I just want to say that all-around play is somewhat underrated, and guys that are perfect at i.e. scoring get downplayed on player rankings because they don't get a few more rebounds or assists.

Kobe and Mj are allaround players genius. Dominant in one facet would be players like Melo or Durant.

So what do you think?
    MJ was an allround player aswell. As good as any allround player ever...

Kobe i would say is an allround player to.

You forgot to add Pippen to, but i see why you left him out considering your agenda (to many rings).
    Last edited by pauk; 04-08-2013 at 05:42 PM.