Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    why live??

Quote Originally Posted by asd
    I remember a few weeks ago, there was a thread about a Euro division in the NBA. With the amount of success, and possible future success, that the NBA is experiencing with Stern at the helm, he should be removed?

I say, don't fix it if it ain't broke.
    Having a Euro NBA is a terrible idea. Travel? I don't think anybody in the NBA wants to do that other than Stern.

I rule the local playground

[QUOTE=Se

Future D1 Dad

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Stern just needs to handle the business end and stay the hell away from the actual game, he doesn't have any credentials when it comes to the actual sport anyway.
    sounds good to me. he's a geek.

why live??

shoot, I think it's bad for the players, too, but a Euro NBA division wouldn't pour more money into Stern's, and the NBA's, pockets?

More money for Stern and the NBA isn't in the NBA's interest? Hm, you stumped me
    Your problem again. You say you don't like the idea of NBA Europe, but you go on to defend it saying, "more money.... isn't it in the NBA's interest?"

No it's not if the players and fans aren't happy.

What I don't like are the comparisons to Yahoo's Broadcast.com purchase.

"I mean honestly....how many people do you know whom actually used Broadcast.com. Compare to that to how many people you know who use YouTube.
    The two aren't even remotely comparable. Not to mention they were entirely different business models. One simply distributed established content. The other allows the user to actually distribute their own content."
    You made the mistake of calling broadcast.com "a worthless dot com bust" when in actuality, if you look at the proliferation of web video, and the success of broadcast.com's offshoot under Yahoo!, Yahoo! Launch, broadcast.com was ultimately anything but a "worthless dot com bust." Even in an age where there are a myriad of other video services, broadcast.com still thrives as Yahoo! Launch.

this argument has been made already...check out the link..
    http://digg.com/tech_news/Mark_Cuban...uld_buy_YouTub

"This coming from the guy who started Broadcast.com and sold it to Yahoo, right. A little p*nis envy, eh."
    I've gone on record as disagreeing with Cuban's assessment of YouTube. We had a thread about these very comments on digg sometime back. Looking at your post count, I'm not sure you were around. I believe that YouTube can be successful in the longterm if a number if provisions are met.

But though I disagree with Cuban's assessment, I stop short at ascribing motivation to his comments. I don't believe that he's envious as you said... That's illogical. Broadcast.com and Yahoo!'s purchase of it is partly responsible for the proliferation of online video, and Cuban made more money off of Broadcast.com than the creators of YouTube will make from YouTube.

"I am tired to death of Mark Cuban using the billions he made off a terrible mistake by Yahoo! to purchase self-importance. At least most of us who made money off the dot com boom can put it in perspective."
    Again, Yahoo! did not make a mistake in purchasing broadcast.com... Without broadcast.com, they wouldn't have Launch... and Launch is one of their more successful services. In fact, Launch was one of the things that kept Yahoo afloat when Google took over the search engine market and Yahoo! began to flounder. Those at Yahoo! are quite happy that they purchased broadcast.com, and would do it again.

Should I keep going?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    Again, Yahoo! did not make a mistake in purchasing broadcast.com... Without broadcast.com, they wouldn't have Launch... and Launch is one of their more successful services. In fact, Launch was one of the things that kept Yahoo afloat when Google took over the search engine market and Yahoo! began to flounder. Those at Yahoo! are quite happy that they purchased broadcast.com, and would do it again.

Should I keep going?
    Not a mistake? If Yahoo did not make a mistake in purchasing broadcast.com, why did Yahoo try to purchase Youtube? They provide the same media-related services.... hmmm...

Also,
    Last time I searched for Video, I went to Youtube, not Yahoo Launch. Shoot, I'll see a Google Video before I see a video on Launch.

When broadcast.com was sold for over $5 bil, and Youtube was sold for $1.75 bil, you really believe that Yahoo doesn't regret that move? Do you want to go into a thorough analysis?

Those at Yahoo! are quite happy that they purchased broadcast.com, and would do it again.

Should I keep going?
    In the United States, Yahoo's cash cows are Yahoo mail and Yahoo news, which is number 2 in online news. When it comes to video, Yahoo doesn't come close to Youtube.

Should I keep going?

Stern should be fired. He used to be a great GM, until this whole brawl thing. Now he's just showing his ass. He's made so many stupid rules in the past 2 years it's ridiculous. He is truly drunk with power. He's like a Jewish Nazi

I don't believe that he's envious as you said... That's illogical. Broadcast.com and Yahoo!'s purchase of it is partly responsible for the proliferation of online video, and Cuban made more money off of Broadcast.com than the creators of YouTube will make from YouTube.
    Should I keep going?
    Broadcast dot com's short sighted business model protected it from copyright holders.

As a result, it didn't have nearly the same number of users as Youtube has now, yet it was bought for more than two times the price of Youtube.
    Last edited by asd; 11-02-2006 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
    Stern should be fired. He used to be a great GM, until this whole brawl thing. Now he's just showing his ass. He's made so many stupid rules in the past 2 years it's ridiculous. He is truly drunk with power. He's like a Jewish Nazi
    when the media and the fans make a big fuss about his rules, it brings more attention to the NBA. You really think that everything Stern does isn't pre-planned for marketing purposes?

shoot, last night, on tnt, i watched a 15 minute segment on the controversy of the new ball alone...

a friggin' ball!

last year, it was over shirts w/collars!

when you guys argue about having Stern removed, do you think that this upsets Stern, or could Stern actually approve of the controversy?

controversy adds an an element of interest to the game...
    Last edited by asd; 11-02-2006 at 01:18 AM.

Yeah the controversies add media attention to the game. However, this quick technical thing is going to hurt the game.

I've seen over the past 2 days people freakin shrug their arms in manner of asking why and been T'd up. I saw the Sheed stuff 2night, he deserved it. But I just saw livingston walking away and shrug his arms, Im sure he wasn' t cursing or anything, and he was T'd up. This is bull****

Not a mistake? If Yahoo did not make a mistake in purchasing broadcast.com, why did Yahoo try to purchase Youtube? They provide the same media-related services.... hmmm...
    Perhaps they want to corner the market. I would do the same thing. If I already own one type of multimedia service, why not own another service that functions differently and opens up even more options for my company and for my users... I'd expand Yahoo! Launch, or create another offshoot. As it stands, YouTube has all of the hardware and software in place, and it would be easy for a company like Yahoo! to build upon that and have the option of user created and uploaded media as well as the media Yahoo! features on Launch... that's just smart business. Also, you just happen to head off competition in the process.

Also,
    Last time I searched for Video, I went to Youtube, not Yahoo Launch. Shoot, I'll see a Google Video before I see a video on Launch.
    That's your preference, but Launch has its fair share of users and the service has been very successful and predates most other sites that offer online video. Moreover, Launch is still going strong. YouTube will of course be more successful because it is more user oriented... People can upload and share their own videos and have others comment. But before youtube really gained momentum a year ago, I highly doubt that you were going there to search for video. However, prior to youtube, most people who wanted to catch the latest music videos or a few old videos went to Launch, and many still use the service.

When broadcast.com was sold for over $5 bil, and Youtube was sold for $1.75 bil, you really believe that Yahoo doesn't regret that move? Do you want to go into a thorough analysis?
    You need to understand the time difference. I explained this earlier. Broadcast.com was aquired years ago when online video was still relatively new. The price was going to be high... that's the nature of the market... New technology and software will be more expensive. However, Yahoo! benefited in that they were among the few to have this new technology and because of that, were able to attract many, many users, effectively making back the money they spent on that investment years ago... As of now, because of the adds they run before their videos, they're still making a lot of money on the service.

If Yahoo had waited and had not bought broadcast.com, they would not have Launch right now, and would not have had it for the lenghth of time it's been popular and making them money. By now, it's paid for itself and more. Yahoo wouldn't be as popular, internet video wouldn't be as ubiquitous as it is now, and the creators of YouTube may have very well been selling YouTube at a greater expense to the purchasing company. There are a number of dynamics involved, but broadcast.com was a timely purchace for Yahoo! and was well worth the price.

It's like if a company bought a certain brand of computer 2 years ago... By now, that brand of computer will be far less expensive... but you also have to factor in the benefits in productity from the initial purchase to the present. If the benefits offset the decrease in price, it was a good purchase. This is the case with Yahoo! Launch. The benefits the service has provided to Yahoo! far outweigh the difference between the cost of broadcast.com and You Tube over the amount of time Launch has existed.

Perhaps they want to corner the market. I would do the same thing. If I already own one type of multimedia service, why not own another service that functions differently and opens up even more options for my company and for my users... I'd expand Yahoo! Launch, or create another offshoot. As it stands, YouTube has all of the hardware and software in place, and it would be easy for a company like Yahoo! to build upon that and have the option of user created and uploaded media as well as the media Yahoo! features on Launch... that's just smart business. Also, you just happen to head off competition in the process.

That's your preference, but Launch has its fair share of users and the service has been very successful and predates most other sites that offer online video. Moreover, Launch is still going strong. YouTube will of course be more successful because it is more user oriented... People can upload and share their own videos and have others comment. But before youtube really gained momentum a year ago, I highly doubt that you were going there to search for video. However, prior to youtube, most people who wanted to catch the latest music videos or a few old videos went to Launch, and many still use the service.

You need to understand the time difference. I explained this earlier. Broadcast.com was aquired years ago when online video was still relatively new. The price was going to be high... that's the nature of the market... New technology and software will be more expensive. However, Yahoo! benefited in that they were among the few to have this new technology and because of that, were able to attract many, many users, effectively making back the money they spent on that investment years ago... As of now, because of the adds they run before their videos, they're still making a lot of money on the service.

If Yahoo had waited and had not bought broadcast.com, they would not have Launch right now, and would not have had it for the lenghth of time it's been popular and making them money. By now, it's paid for itself and more. Yahoo wouldn't be as popular, internet video wouldn't be as ubiquitous as it is now, and the creators of YouTube may have very well been selling YouTube at a greater expense to the purchasing company. There are a number of dynamics involved, but broadcast.com was a timely purchace for Yahoo! and was well worth the price.

It's like if a company bought a certain brand of computer 2 years ago... By now, that brand of computer will be far less expensive... but you also have to factor in the benefits in productity from the initial purchase to the present. If the benefits offset the decrease in price, it was a good purchase. This is the case with Yahoo! Launch. The benefits the service has provided to Yahoo! far outweigh the difference between the cost of broadcast.com and You Tube over the amount of time Launch has existed.
    cuban is not green with envy? please. cuban called google "moronic" for purchasing youtube at $1.65 bil. does this mean that cuban concedes that yahoo was being three times more moronic for purchasing broadcast at over $5 billion? or is there a sufficient time-related reason with this, too?

In the United States, Yahoo's cash cows are Yahoo mail and Yahoo news, which is number 2 in online news. When it comes to video, Yahoo doesn't come close to Youtube.

Should I keep going?
    Prior to the advent of youtube, which is only a little over a year old, Launch was the place for online music videos. YouTube has taken over, and rightfully so, because of how useable it is, but YouTube has been burning through venture capital and really hasn't been making money. Not too long ago, when it came to video, not only didn't YouTube come close, it didn't exist. It makes no sense to wait for a technology that you don't know will come into existence, and even though hindsight is 20/20, Yahoo! would still buy broadcast.com for the benefits it has provided Yahoo! (in the form of Yahoo! Launch) over the years. It's just smart business. The benefits Launch has provided Yahoo far outweight the price of broadcast.com as well as the drawback of buying YouTube now and not having Launch for all those years.

Broadcast dot com's short sighted business model protected it from copyright holders.

As a result, it didn't have nearly the same number of users as Youtube has now, yet it was bought for more than two times the price of Youtube.
    How long ago was broadcast.com bought?