Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Has there ever been a player in history playing as a top 3 player in his 17 season

Had Kareem, Wilt or Jordan started their careers at 18-19 and played as few minutes early on in their careers as Kobe was, I'm willing to bet they'd still have been playing at a top-3 level in their 17th seasons. Kareem would be his 1982 self, Jordan his 1998 self and Wilt his 1971 self.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Re: Has there ever been a player in history playing as a top 3 player in his 17 season

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Had Kareem, Wilt or Jordan started their careers at 18-19 and played as few minutes early on in their careers as Kobe was, I'm willing to bet they'd still have been playing at a top-3 level in their 17th seasons. Kareem would be his 1982 self, Jordan his 1998 self and Wilt his 1971 self.
    this

Made that high school varsity squad LA Lakers's Avatar

The consistency of game Kobe Bean has shown is amazing. He will set a record for longevity. Kareem his last 2 or 3 years you could see how slow he was getting up and down the court... If Kobe goes another 2 or 3 years at this level and gets another ring who knows? But its amazing to watch.
    Last edited by LA Lakers; 11-20-2012 at 06:21 PM.

All three of those guys were more than capable as well, and two of them - Wilt and Kareem - were even more capable.

Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry
    As an example of how modern medicine is extending peak and overall longevity, according to dime magazine in 1985 there were only 5 players age 35 or older. Last season, there were 29. That's six times as many.
    There were also only 23 teams in 1985. Now there are 30.

Veterans and rookies back then almost all knew the fundamentals of the game, and a lot of those coming into the league today do not.

While "modern medicine" might play a role, I suspect that the expansion of teams and most new players not knowing fundamental basketball leads to more old guys that do know fundamentals being coveted and being able to stick around longer before teams tell them to get lost.

Wilt kept himself in top shape. I couldnt imagine what the advancement of medicine, diet and sleep techniques plus Wilts work ethic would do for him today...

I don't get picked last at the park anymore talamo's Avatar

So to answer o.p's question: No Kobe is the only one who did it

Banned

I believe Wilt and Kareem may be able to.

I don't think MJ can because he took 2 years off to rest after those long seasons 3peating.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree

I don't think MJ can because he took 2 years off to rest after those long seasons 3peating.
    Those seasons off hurt his game more than they helped him. That should go without saying. Taking a couple seasons off from any sport, especially at that level, is a very bad thing for one's game.

I don't think
    MJ can because he took 2 years off to rest after those long seasons 3peating.
    Not that this is breaking news or anything, but you're clueless.

Naw man, are you kidding? MJ went and played minor league baseball, came back in baseball shape and found a way to still dominate the league(second 3peat). Im a Laker through and through, but Kobe will never be on that mans level. Only thing Kobe will surpass MJ is longevity.

17th season? Probably no other player has but the season is not over yet so Kobe is not yet a lock for top 3. FYI, Jordan at age 35 is the MVP and FMVP of the league, let's see Kobe do that at age 34. :p

Exactly. Lets not forget the almost 2 years of minor league baseball prior...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LA Lakers
    Naw man, are you kidding? MJ went and played minor league baseball, came back in baseball shape and found a way to still dominate the league(second 3peat). Im a Laker through and through, but Kobe will never be on that mans level. Only thing Kobe will surpass MJ is longevity.
    Can't blame Kobe because MJ wasn't durable enough to play more seasons.

Also, taking 2 seasons off does help your body. Heck, he was standing in the outfield tanning.

He took time off and it's not hard to get in basketball shape. He had an offseason to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Umad101
    One of a kind baby
    Of course but not many as a perimeter player