Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    College superstar brooks_thompson's Avatar

Default Re: O.J. Mayo and Allen Iverson Will Be the Best Backcourt in the NBA

Mayo will be an all-star level SG for many years, but nothing absolutely spectacular. If he plays the right way, he will finish in the top 10-15 for 3s all time and will play above average defense.

i hope he proves me wrong, but definitely not counting on it after his year at college and the rookie season

Quote Originally Posted by okayabc123
    Mayo and AI won't work... and it will actually hurt Mayo's game if AI goes there.

First of all, AI is not a great defender, all he does is play the passing lane.

AI needs the ball in his hand to score, meaning OJ won't see the ball enough to keep him happy because OJ also needs the rock.

Memphis have enough scoring as it is already... Mayo and Rudy can do enough damage, and if Conley can develop into a solid PG, they are fine. They need frontline help, especially defensively.

It also wouldn't hurt if Gay and Mayo can develop into better defenders as well, given that both have the athletic ability to do it but not the heart.
    Mayo has the heart to be a great defender he showed that by holding Dwyane wade to 17 pts on 5-17 shooting. He just doesn't have the size to do it on a night in night basis especially if he is matched up with a 6'6-6'8 SG.

Gay it just hasn't clicked for him yet. and that is a big yet. It look LeBron 6 years for him to realize he should be sending any layup big a little guy on a fast break. And Gay is taller and longer than LeBron with about the same vertical so it will happen just give it time.

and for some reason, there is this idea that mayo "needs the rock" in his hands.

he really doesn't. he's an excellent shooter, and if he learns to play off the ball and make the quick move to the hoop (instead of just dribbling), then he will be a special player.

sure.....

Quote Originally Posted by FIXED
    Mayo has the heart to be a great defender he showed that by holding Dwyane wade to 17 pts on 5-17 shooting. He just doesn't have the size to do it on a night in night basis especially if he is matched up with a 6'6-6'8 SG.

Gay it just hasn't clicked for him yet. and that is a big yet. It look LeBron 6 years for him to realize he should be sending any layup big a little guy on a fast break. And Gay is taller and longer than LeBron with about the same vertical so it will happen just give it time.
    I just can't buy that. I see Gay as a best-case scenario as Carmelo Anthony-lite....an elite scorer when given opportunities but someone that doesn't play hard on either end unless things are going his way.

If he could focus on defense for a couple of years, then he could really be talkin about cracking the top 25.

I am Chris Wilcox

The day AI and OJ becomes even a decent backcourt duo will be the same day Starface embraces a liberal. i.e. it's not going to happen, ever.

If you think AI and OJ is going to work or AI on the Grizzlies is going to work, at all, you're a f*cking moron, simple as that. You know d!ck about basketball if you think it's a good move and think that it'll work.

The offense will consist of maybe one pass, if we're lucky, followed by a contested shot, that will most likely be an airball or brick. Then, on the way back down on defense, all 4 players (AI, Mayo, Rudy and ZBo) will argue about who should be shooting, forgetting about defense, whilst Gasol tries to play some defense and gets dunked on by the entire team.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by FIXED

..................................... ^^ This guy O.J. Mayo.

Jordan=O.J. Mayo?

Eh you're being a bit of a downer. Sure, it's not a playoff team, but it's an improvement over 22-22-24 wins (even without AI). go with it.

at least 28 wins!

heeeel no.

But do u guys realize the grizzlies might look like this

PG: Iverson
    SG: Mayo
    SF: Rudy Gay
    PF: Zach Randolph
    C: Marc Gasol

Thats an extremely talented team

and Thabeet , Mike Conley, Warrick comming off the bench

Quote Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
    The day AI and OJ becomes even a decent backcourt duo will be the same day Starface embraces a liberal. i.e. it's not going to happen, ever.

If you think AI and OJ is going to work or AI on the Grizzlies is going to work, at all, you're a f*cking moron, simple as that. You know d!ck about basketball if you think it's a good move and think that it'll work.

The offense will consist of maybe one pass, if we're lucky, followed by a contested shot, that will most likely be an airball or brick. Then, on the way back down on defense, all 4 players (AI, Mayo, Rudy and ZBo) will argue about who should be shooting, forgetting about defense, whilst Gasol tries to play some defense and gets dunked on by the entire team.
    I feel bad for you guys bro, I have no idea what your management is thinking trading for Randolph and picking up AI. That team is a disaster waiting to happen. It's a shame too, Conley has the potential to be a solid PG in the league, but his minutes are going to be eaten up by AI.

I am Chris Wilcox

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    I feel bad for you guys bro, I have no idea what your management is thinking trading for Randolph and picking up AI. That team is a disaster waiting to happen. It's a shame too, Conley has the potential to be a solid PG in the league, but his minutes are going to be eaten up by AI.
    Heisley, the owner, has no clue what he is doing. He's thinking that the names 'Iverson' and 'Randolph' will bring fans, forget about the fact that the team will not work at all, they will put fans in the seats and points on the scoreboard. Unfortunately, they won't ticks in the win column.

The moron doesn't understand that committing to producing a winning team that can be competitive in a couple of years, by actually spending money and bringing in productive players will bring a hell of a lot more fans and will please the fans who are already in line.

I doubt Heisley would spend a penny to save his own f*cking life. The man is pathetic, if there is no money gain from it, he wants nothing to do with it.

no

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
    Heisley, the owner, has no clue what he is doing. He's thinking that the names 'Iverson' and 'Randolph' will bring fans, forget about the fact that the team will not work at all, they will put fans in the seats and points on the scoreboard. Unfortunately, they won't ticks in the win column.

The moron doesn't understand that committing to producing a winning team that can be competitive in a couple of years, by actually spending money and bringing in productive players will bring a hell of a lot more fans and will please the fans who are already in line.

I doubt Heisley would spend a penny to save his own f*cking life. The man is pathetic, if there is no money gain from it, he wants nothing to do with it.
    This.

Heisley is trying to turn the Grizzlies into the New York Knicks, a cheaper version.

He wants attention by making the team a Soap Opera Drama "As The Grizzly Roars" or something like that nature in order to get Nationwide attention, the addition of Iverson to this cast of players will get us on ESPN a few times which is probably what he only cares out doing.

I am Chris Wilcox

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    This.

Heisley is trying to turn the Grizzlies into the New York Knicks, a cheaper version.

He wants attention by making the team a Soap Opera Drama "As The Grizzly Roars" or something like that nature in order to get Nationwide attention, the addition of Iverson to this cast of players will get us on ESPN a few times which is probably what he only cares out doing.
    It wouldn't surprise me if all he is after is nation wide attention, because to Heisley, that just screams more money for his pockets.