Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Default Re: Former NBA Ref says "Jordan's push off was an offensive foul..."

Jordan was an immovable force.

It was probably a foul, but not a foul forceful enough to be whistled at that point of the game, unless the refs were fooled by Russell going flying, which might have happened in other situations, but not here. After all, this wasn't the worst decision taken in that game, since the fates of 2 separate baskets changed thanks to the refs, which I don't know how many times has ever happened during the same game, especially in such an important game. This is a collective +5 in favor of Utah being rendered a +0 in 2 calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardtop Hero
    In my opinion, it depends on what angle you look at it from. When you look at it from the front angle, it looks like a push off. However, when you look at it from the side, it appears to be a light touch and that Russell fell down more because his momentum was heading one way and Jordan pulled back so quick that he kept going.

I think the "push off" is overstated. There was light contact, but not enough to call an offensive foul.
    Thank you. When you look at the angle, depending on where you are, it was a light touch. Now if those late 90s players knew how to flop like the current NBA players, oh that would have been an offensive foul. But again, the 90s era was all about being tough and playing ball, minus Divac

50 years later...

Some old [COLOR="Black"]as[/COLOR]s former ref: "I still think Jordan might've fouled Russell in Game 6"

Why the hell are people still talking about this? Its been more than 16 years since it's happened. We can't do anything to change the past. And besides... that was probably the greatest moment in playoff history.

The GOAT broke his ankles, it wasn't a push, MJ barely touched his ass. Russell fell most likely due to momentum. It would absurd calling it an offensive foul and Russell didn't even whine about it.

Those last minutes of that game was the most clutch performance ever. GOAT gonna GOAT.

Look at all the available angles, there is one clearly showing it wasn't a push. It doesn't matter either way tho, no one will call a foul on that play.

Banned

Why was this bumped 7 years after the fact?

Also, even if it was a foul (it wasn't) no ref is going to call that in that situation... even if it's AGAINST Jordan himself

That was a very weak push. My little niece wouldn't even fall down from that push. Russell got murked and lost his balance.

I've seen pushes stronger than that one that were not called. And it shouldn't be called near the end of the game.

They counted the bucket and he won a championship.

Some dumb ref saying he thinks it was a foul is pointless. It wasnt. Get over it.

Good High School Starter dreamwarrior's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    That's not a foul you guys are just too used to today's p*ssy-fied NBA where every damn little thing is a foul and every 2-guard relies on the refs to bail them out.

Look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlNnLXBnMfM

Reggie Miller *clearly* pushes off Jordan there, it's a small little push, but a full on, both forearms shove into the chest that sends Jordan flying back ... no foul call.

You don't call touch falls in clutch situations, the players should decide the game.
    Jordan never complained about that either.

The game was just more physical then. That kind of contact wasn't uncommon.

When Zo did this to Pippen...

..it was only called a regular hard foul. Pip shrugged it off without exaggeration and play continued.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Why was this bumped 7 years after the fact?

Also, even if it was a foul (it wasn't) no ref is going to call that in that situation... even if it's AGAINST Jordan himself
    Exactly!! Series before the finals

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry

..it was only called a regular hard foul. Pip shrugged it off without exaggeration and play continued.
    Bran would of been hospitalized for the season.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dreamwarrior
    Jordan never complained about that either.

"In 1995, as you saw on the video, yeah, I pushed," Miller said Friday during his Hall of Fame induction speech. "I'm sorry. The ref didn't call it, I went with it."

"Like Magic said, 'By any means necessary,'" he added, offering a similar admission about pushing Michael Jordan in the 1998 playoffs. "So I apologize. I've never said that publicly. So Greg, OK. I shoved you and kept you down."

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry

So players weren't playing defense back then, just attacking players because they weren't skilled enough to play real defense?