Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: "OH! A SPECTACULAR move by Michael Jordan!"

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal
    Let's see you do that move in a game. I don't expect you to get as high as MJ did. Shouldn't be too hard to do specially for someone with "half athleticism".

Couple of things:
    You need to attack from the center with a right handed dunk or layup.
    Then while going down switch the ball to your left and make a lefthanded layup off the backboard.
    And you need to make it. All this in the flow of a real game. Pickup is fine.

I grew up being forced to use both hands, as should any decent ball player. Dribble with both hands. Shoot either handed. Pass with either hand. The fact that he shot a left handed or right handed lay up should make no difference.

I don't know why you find it so amazing.

Granted I never dunked in a game, or even tried, but its not like you need to hang in the air that long to change hands.

It probably would have been cooler had he stuck with the dunk and just power slammed the ball off someone's head. That I cant do.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    This is why I laughed when somebody tried to make a thread on ISH a while back that Jordan was the most "movement efficient player ever" - "no wasted movements"

He's the antithesis of. Guy wound up on dunks, changed uncontested shots in mid-air dribbled between his legs and pump faked 2 and 3 extra times sometimes just for the fans... he was a great showman. Great showman are the antithesis of not wasting movements, they deliberately ADD unnecessary dramatic movements, just to get a crowd reaction/tv ratings/etc

Movement efficiency is Tim Duncan or Oscar Robertson. Simple moves. For points, not for fans.
    lebron takes the most time of possession to get his points and assists of any all-time great that isn't a point guard.

based on time of possession, he's one of the least efficient players of all time - time of possession isn't given any attention by the main stream right now, but it probably will some day soon.

the spurs defeated miami because they scored so much easier and the heat couldn't keep pace - this was due to the fact that everyone on the spurs had low time of possession other than their PG tony parker... whereas for the heat, lebron, chalmers AND wade all had high time of possessions, which was also a primary factor in the underutilization of bosh.
    Last edited by 3ball; 11-18-2014 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    I grew up being forced to use both hands, as should any decent ball player. Dribble with both hands. Shoot either handed. Pass with either hand. The fact that he shot a left handed or right handed lay up should make no difference.

I don't know why you find it so amazing.

Granted I never dunked in a game, or even tried, but its not like you need to hang in the air that long to change hands.

It probably would have been cooler had he stuck with the dunk and just power slammed the ball off someone's head. That I cant do.
    You called it "easy". Go ahead, a 5 second clip will do.

ISH is now run by old grandpas cercle jeking to Jordan's old videos.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    And no one is talking about a random windmill 25 years. Dr J's move >>>>>>>>>>>>>> this and yet this gets brought up way more often.

Edit: And this one wasn't even that aesthetically pleasing. He made a move to avoid a shot blocker that wasn't even there. There are way better Jordan plays.
    Not only was it aesthetically pleasing but it happened on the biggest stage, in his first finals appearance and capped of his 13th(?) consecutive made bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    It was unnecessary because he had a lay up, and then changed his lay up to shoot a lay up on the other side.

Nobody was defending him. There was no basketball reason to do it.

If someone was on a fast break and did a windmill, then stopped mid swing, and switched hands and shot a lay up, nobody would claim it was spectacular and everyone would question WTF he did that.
    lol wtf. basketball is entertainment. what is unnecessary about that?

Saw a basketball once KENNER SLU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Move was so unnecessary

Agreed !

Local High School Star

as soon as he saw the defender make the slightest hint of contesting, he adjusted. its instinct. its something he's seen a million times. its what allowed him to make all those crazy circus layups up and around defenders who actually did go up and contest. he's just so quick to react, he's always ahead of the defender.

Find it hilarious how this was seen as some groundbreaking shit back then . You see tough layups like this happening all the time now and nobody cares. Kobe could do this in his sleep.

5-time NBA All-Star

This is why I laughed when somebody tried to make a thread on ISH a while back that Jordan was the most "movement efficient player ever" - "no wasted movements"

He's the antithesis of. Guy wound up on dunks, changed uncontested shots in mid-air dribbled between his legs and pump faked 2 and 3 extra times sometimes just for the fans... he was a great showman. Great showman are the antithesis of not wasting movements, they deliberately ADD unnecessary dramatic movements, just to get a crowd reaction/tv ratings/etc

Movement efficiency is Tim Duncan or Oscar Robertson. Simple moves. For points, not for fans.
    Cavs, check out Bernard King. Here he scores sixty points and he only pump faked once. Only dribbled more than twice, once (pretty sure). He lead the league in scoring (more than 32ppg) and had many games like this. He was in a separate universe. He would go quicker and still score 50 if McHale was on him, and go stronger if Dominique was on him, a minor tweak but the same game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-U86VQSFHc

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Poetry

And it was all about the moment- NBA finals against Magic and the Lakers, he had just made 12 consecutive FGs and this was the capper. Plus, he explained here why he switched hands. He saw Perkins react like he was about to contest it, while in mid air he made a move to counter that but Perk seemed to have given up once he saw Jordan take off, probably didn't want to end up on a poster.

It is a spectator sport after all, but the majority of Jordan's movements were efficient (thus his high on court efficiency) and done to beat defenders/defenses. If they were aesthetically pleasing, even better.

Exactly. Artistry and efficiency don't have to be mutually exclusive. If it looks good but still goes in the basket at a high clip, more power to the player
    By that explanation, he took the path of least resistance which would make it efficient, anyway.

Come on now. I'm sure he was cognizant of the fact that people were watching and wanted to put on a show for them. You think Wilt in his 100 point game made sure all of his movements were purely for basketball reasons? Legend has it he f*cked 10 women on the court during that game while scoring buckets at the same time.
    That was me, Silk (sounds like Wilt). But I know you were too busy looking at my harem.

How did that "movement efficiency" help them though? MJ is considered to be the consensus GOAT. He has more MVP's, FMVP's, and DPOY's than both of them combined. More All-D First teams as well.

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    How did that "movement efficiency" help them though? MJ is considered to be the consensus GOAT. He has more MVP's, FMVP's, and DPOY's than both of them combined. More All-D First teams as well.
    How does this in any way take away add too, subtract or change what I said?

When we're talking about top-caliber players all time, showboating or adding a bit of flair to your game or a particular play = / = effectiveness. To players in the class we're talking about effectiveness comes first and is priority number one. Ones who indulge the fans have already gotten to the spot they want to be in the game first (in a position to win). Even Wilt and Kareem would wind up or do something extra from time to time. But not at the expense of the game. Jordan's hand-change layup in the OP for example, was his 13th field goal in a row... the Bulls were up with a good margin. It really wasn't a crucial play.

And yeah, a lot of good keeping their game simple did (regardless of their position to win) for Timmy and Oscar let's all pretend to be unimpressed at them in light of almighty Jordan because we all know they never came close

If Oscar was that good shooting layups and just making the right pass it's amazing to think how many more MVP's he could have won if he tried to tomahawk dunk and dribble between his legs in blow outs or on fast breaks "like-Mike". Is that the point you wanted to make?
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 11-18-2014 at 03:04 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by G0ATbe
    Find it hilarious how this was seen as some groundbreaking shit back then . You see tough layups like this happening all the time now and nobody cares. Kobe could do this in his sleep.
    There is not a single player in the league who can make that layup exactly as-is (take off from the same distance with no gather step, same extension with the right hand before switching to the left, and landing in the same spot). No one. Only maybe one or two players of the last DECADE could have even ATTEMPTED to replicate it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    There is not a single player in the league who can make that layup exactly as-is (take off from the same distance with no gather step, same extension with the right hand before switching to the left, and landing in the same spot). No one. Only maybe one or two players of the last DECADE could have even ATTEMPTED to replicate it.
    Lol. I dunno about all that man