NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: the GOAT scorer vs. the GOAT defender

[COLOR="White"]........................[/COLOR]Top 5

5)

4)

3)

2)

1)

Based on the footage, Jordan was too quick for Rodman, resulting in Rodman not being assigned to Jordan much at all, or, the time Rodman DID guard Jordan, he had to give Jordan a ton of room for open jumpers so he could avoid the blow-by.

So in the end, Jordan's quickness made him a bigger mismatch versus larger defenders such as Rodman, Richard Dumas, or guys like Boris Diaw and Kawhi Leonard, while he still dominated smaller defenders more thoroughly with his skill and ability - so Jordan was a bigger mismatch for ALL defenders.

Other Jordan FG's on Rodman

Rim Attack

Pull-Up Jumpshot

Stand-Still Jumpshots
    Last edited by 3ball; 11-18-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Lol, and you reposted the OP again why?

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Lol, and you reposted the OP again why?
    Dude forgot he already spammed the gifs in this thread.

NBA Superstar

So Jordan vs Jordan?

Jordan's quickness made him a mismatch against a wider range of players than a bigger, slower player would have.

After all, bigger guys can be effectively guarded by someone like Rodman, Richard Dumas, or Boris Diaw, whereas Jordan just blows by these guys with true guard speed (not just being quick for his height).

then against the smaller guys, he just dominated them from the post or with elite skill, or overpowered them.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    Unquestionably.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS

(Wilt vs Russell) Unquestionably.

true, however, i figured everybody knew wilt vs. russell was the GOAT matchup.

wilt vs russell is the only other matchup being brought up, so i'm definitely fine with Jordan vs Rodman being #2 behind those guys.

Jordan vs. Rodman is goat for the modern era, but 2nd all-time behind Wilt vs Russell.

what we learned itt:

jordan was a bigger mismatch against both bigger AND smaller defenders - his quickness made him a bigger mismatch against larger defenders such as rodman, richard dumas, boris diaw or kahwi leonard, and of course he thoroughly dominated the smaller guys with skill and ability.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    what we learned itt:

jordan was a bigger mismatch against both bigger AND smaller defenders - his quickness made him a bigger mismatch against larger defenders such as rodman, richard dumas, boris diaw or kahwi leonard, and of course he thoroughly dominated the smaller guys with skill and ability.
    we?

how you gonna just repeat yourself and then say "so this is what we learned"

Jordan AND1 Dunk on Dominique and Two Blow-By Dunks

Last edited by 3ball; 01-26-2015 at 03:17 AM.

well, i mean, it's so intuitive, i just assumed...
    if you assumed we already knew it, then we didn't learn it in this thread, now did we?

anyway, I agree. GOAT scorer (much better than Wilt and Kareem) and the gold standard of offensive basketball weaponry. too quick for yada yada, to skilled for blah blah blah. yes sir, roger that.

it's your spiel I'm laughing at, not your argument.

Jordan vs Dumars and Jordan vs Payton were both better H2H matchups. Just saying.

Hell I would say, Bowen vs Kobe / Tony Allen vs Kobe / LeBron vs JButler are all comparable. I'd argue they're all better/funner matchups than Jordan vs Rodman.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Jordan vs Dumars and Jordan vs Payton were both better H2H matchups. Just saying.

Hell I would say, Bowen vs Kobe / Tony Allen vs Kobe / LeBron vs JButler are all comparable. I'd argue they're all better/funner matchups than Jordan vs Rodman.
    not at all - the bigger defenders were more of a challenge for Jordan - i always felt sorry for dumars, payton or any small defender that Jordan could just shoot over, because they had no chance.

the bigger defenders made jordan work a lot harder.

payton did okay on Jordan for a couple games, but he couldn't guard Jordan in games that mattered - those games where payton held jordan to 25ppg were garbage time when the series was already over and the entire bulls team relaxed..

jordan's standard is so high and there is nothing else to knock him for, that people are forced to make a big deal over moral victories in giveaway games after the series had already been won.

the reality is that bigger defenders have always been the tougher cover for MJ, it's just that if you put one of your forwards on jordan, you mess up the rest of your matchups - your TEAM defense is worse when a bigger defender guards MJ... if jordan was a forward, then it wouldn't be as disruptive.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

not at all - the bigger defenders were more of a challenge for Jordan - i always felt sorry for dumars, payton or any small defender that Jordan could just shoot over, because they had no chance.

the bigger defenders made jordan work a lot harder.

payton did okay on Jordan for a couple games, but he couldn't guard Jordan in games that mattered - those games where payton held jordan to 25ppg were garbage time when the series was already over and the entire bulls team relaxed..

jordan's standard is so high and there is nothing else to knock him for, that people are forced to make a big deal over moral victories in giveaway games after the series had already been won.

the reality is that bigger defenders have always been the tougher cover for MJ, it's just that if you put one of your forwards on jordan, you mess up the rest of your matchups - your TEAM defense is worse when a bigger defender guards MJ... if jordan was a forward, then it wouldn't be as disruptive.
    only time jordan loses games is in garbage time

80s celtics/pistons didn't beat jordan, jordan let them win

ultimate competitor

this is too much

The 2 best matchups played on his team. Harper and Pippen
    I always felt like if Jordan would have started his career a little earlier Moncrief and Bobby Jones could have defended him well