Default Do the Raptors regret trading for Marc Gasol?

Jonas is having a career year plus they lost a valuable rotation player in Delon. Meanwhile, Marc is scoring in single digits while having no long term upside. Do/Should the Raps regret this move already?

Default Re: Do the Raptors regret trading for Marc Gasol?

Was wondering the same thing today. I could easily see this move biting Toronto back in the playoffs.

Didn't like the trade since day 1. I always felt that people who said it was a good trade for the Raps never actually watched Jonas play. Ibaka was also having a great year as a starter.. now he's struggling off the bench.

Feels like this is definitely going to come back and bite us in the ass.. but ur all depends on how well Gasol plays in the playoffs.

I like Marc Gasol personally if they are playing for a win this year

it was a bad trade

Marc was playing like a top 10 player for the 1st month of the season or so but he as falling off after that. It was clearly a hot streak as he was avging over 40% from 3 on 5 attempts

if they got that Marc? itd be a good trade

but Marc hasnt been the same guy since. Trade will only look worse as the seasons go on too. Raptors have a nice core thats on the way.........JV fit in with that. Marcs closer to the way out

I'm not really sure what's up with Gasol. He's more than capabale of having a good game. He's just so inconsistent. Like they don't know how to use him.

College superstar brooks_thompson's Avatar

I've gotta say as a Grizzlies fan who saw the vast majority of his career games, I'm shocked at both how the Raptors are using him and how poorly he's fit in personally. I thought Gasol would be a major steadying force for the Raps, but in the 3-4 games I've seen he's just out of sync with the rest of the team. He doesn't have the passing chemistry with the new guys. Which is the majority of his value on offense, despite the ability to go to him in the post and trust him with 3s.

On the other hand, I am shocked that Jonas is as capable as he is. He's half the player Gasol was at his peak, but I severely underrated him. Surprisingly, the Grizz have remained watchable after the trade, and Mike and Jonas have both exploded.

College superstar brooks_thompson's Avatar

Oh and sorry Raps fans, I don't know what the deal is with him falling off the earth after the first 20 games. He tends to have lapses and has never been the most locked in player (see also Pau Gasol). You've either got to goad him as a coach or have a teammate that will push him (like ZBo did) to take over when necessary. But since that's no longer necessary on this Raptors team, you might just have a quality late-career role player on your hands. Still, Nurse has got to integrate him better if you want to be able to call the trade a success. It's tough cause he's a moody fella, and we've seen how he reacts when he doesn't respect the coach. Zach Lowe used the word 'persnickety' to describe Marc, and I can think of nobody who fits that description like Marc. He's a good teammate and willing team player, there's just some moodiness involved.

Well Raps misused JV and now they are misusing Marc even more. Toronto needs to find out a way to use Marc better, he's just floating out there most of the time, he's clearly not the same prime Marc anymore, but he's not some scrub, and toronto is treating him like he is one. JV is entering his prime and is an all-star caliber center by what he's shown since the trade. The problem for the grizzlies is now that someone might throw 18m+ per or smt at JV after this season, which was unexpected as he was expected to pick up his 17m option.

It's still a good move for the Raps if they do well in the post-season this year. Marc has improved the ball movement (team passing and assist numbers are way up) and % of open and wide-open shots significantly. His numbers aren't there but he makes the team better and that's all I care about.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

He's playing facilitator and defense...Andrew bogut role but with a jump shot. And the team has been developing very good teamwork ~ more team assists & high quality brand of ball.

We don't need him to score. Him providing solid rim protection/screens and his amazing vision on the other end is what is needed for the playoffs.

His scoring is a bonus, his intangibles are why he is here.

Quote Originally Posted by kwajo
    It's still a good move for the Raps if they do well in the post-season this year. Marc has improved the ball movement (team passing and assist numbers are way up) and % of open and wide-open shots significantly. His numbers aren't there but he makes the team better and that's all I care about.

good post

Hot dang, kwajo lives!

Dunking on everybody in the park Gougou's Avatar

Yeah pretty much like other said we don't need him to score, his defense/passing is what we need from him in the playoff.

The only issue is that sometimes there are games Gasol just do nothing and doesn't have the athletism and speed to match the small ball teams, game 6 in the finals was a example of Gasol being exposed by the small ball line up, Raptors had to sub Ibaka in to deal with them.
    Last edited by Gougou; 06-18-2019 at 12:12 AM.