Default Re: Breaking News: R.I.P Sonics

Quote Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
    boycott starbucks!!!

I already have

Dunking on everybody in the park

[QUOTE=Sonic R]
    I already have

Shutting down your thread with knowledge and intelligence DJ Leon Smith's Avatar

Default Re: Sonics will move to OKC for 2008-09 season. Sonics name stays with Seattle

I thought this was great, it's from http://www.supersonicsoul.com:

[QUOTE]Amount of money spent by Clay Bennett to move the Sonics to Oklahoma City:

City of Seattle, June 2008: $45 million
    Additional money, 2013: $30 million
    Relocation fee: $30 million
    Losses, 2007-08 season (est.): $20 million
    Losses, 2006-07 season (est.): $20 million
    Moving fees (est.): $15 million
    Legal fees (est.): $2 million

Add it all up and you come to a total of $162 million.

Why is this important? Because the cost of renovating KeyArena is now pegged at around $300 million, but, back when the team was sold, Howard Schultz was looking to spend about $225 million to renovate the building. After purchasing the team, Bennett indicated

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Default Re: Sonics will move to OKC for 2008-09 season. Sonics name stays with Seattle

art thiel's article was good this morning:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/thiel/369455_thiel03.html

here is part of it:

As has been written here before, the biggest culprits in this deal have been the NBA and former owner Howard Schultz. However unfairly, the mess they created fell to the city and the business community to clean up. But by neglecting to put more resources in front-end imagination instead of back-end litigation, the game was lost.
    Bennett is still a liar, Stern is still unconscionably remorseless, and the Sonics are gone.

Local High School Star

I don't feel bad for Seattle at all. I guess I'm the only one. The team wasn't willing to pay, and Ok City was. That's the simple fact of it. If I go to a store and try to barter with the salesman, they might not give me the price that I want. Then someone else might come around and offer the asking price. I don't ***** because I didn't get the product on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    I don't feel bad for Seattle at all. I guess I'm the only one. The team wasn't willing to pay, and Ok City was. That's the simple fact of it. If I go to a store and try to barter with the salesman, they might not give me the price that I want. Then someone else might come around and offer the asking price. I don't ***** because I didn't get the product on the cheap.
    perhaps you missed the point of this earlier post:

Amount of money spent by Clay Bennett to move the Sonics to Oklahoma City:

City of Seattle, June 2008: $45 million
    Additional money, 2013: $30 million
    Relocation fee: $30 million
    Losses, 2007-08 season (est.): $20 million
    Losses, 2006-07 season (est.): $20 million
    Moving fees (est.): $15 million
    Legal fees (est.): $2 million

Add it all up and you come to a total of $162 million.

Why is this important? Because the cost of renovating KeyArena is now pegged at around $300 million, but, back when the team was sold, Howard Schultz was looking to spend about $225 million to renovate the building. After purchasing the team, Bennett indicated – repeatedly – that he had no interest in contributing any of his own money to the project (which eventually morphed into a completely new arena in Renton, at a price tag of $500 million).

And yet, Bennett has now committed more than half of that total just for relocating his new toy to Oklahoma City. If Bennett had just offered two-thirds of that figure - $100 million – while in Olympia fourteen months ago, yesterday would never have happened, and the state would have easily passed the bill to either build a new facility or renovate KeyArena.
    Further, by indicating that he was interested in helping the team, the miserable attendance figures of the past two years would have been considerably better.

Instead, Bennett kept his money in his pocket, because all along he had no interest in doing anything to keep this team here and a major interest, obviously, in getting a team for Oklahoma City.

$162 million goes a long, long way in this world. Apparently, though, just not in Seattle.

Seattle residents should be happen. Think of all the tax dollars saved plus the settlement dollars they can use to do things for the city of Seattle.

How bout free health care for every Seattle resident? Wouldn't that be nice? They can call it the "Supersonic" health care plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    Bennett's demanded price for Seattle arena: $500 million, all public money
    Bennett's demanded price for OKC arena: $120 million, partially funded

You're a ****ing tool.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Seattle residents should be happen. Think of all the tax dollars saved plus the settlement dollars they can use to do things for the city of Seattle.

How bout free health care for every Seattle resident? Wouldn't that be nice? They can call it the "Supersonic" health care plan.
    i wish!!

seattle has replaced san fran as the pinko capital of the usa

Quote Originally Posted by JordanL
    Bennett's demanded price for Seattle arena: $500 million, all public money
    Bennett's demanded price for OKC arena: $120 million, partially funded

You're a ****ing tool.
    thanks for being clearer than i was!!

i wish!!

seattle has replaced san fran as the pinko capital of the usa
    What are you, in the 1970's?

Pinko? You mean liberal politics?

Liberals are the GOOD guys, remember?

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    What are you, in the 1970's?

Pinko? You mean liberal politics?

Liberals are the GOOD guys, remember?
    Neither liberals or conservatives are good. They are just in the pockets of different special interest groups that don't necessarily have our best interest at heart.

someone in the paper said, it (losing the sonics) feels like watching your dog get hit by a car

someone in the paper said, it (losing the sonics) feels like watching your dog get hit by a car
    It just means your dog is in a...better place....just like the Sonics!