Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: Sonics will move to OKC for 2008-09 season. Sonics name stays with Seattle

I can't shake the feeling that Seattle got swindled out of an NBA franchise.

Default Re: Breaking News: R.I.P Sonics

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    sad day for all sports fans..
    I so agree. Man, I feel like I have caught my wife with my best friend right now. I am just hurting big time right now.

I have been a fan of the Sonics for 30 years!!! So you can just feel my hurt right now.

I gotta step away from the NBA for awhile.

Default Re: Sonics will move to OKC for 2008-09 season. Sonics name stays with Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    I can't shake the feeling that Seattle got swindled out of an NBA franchise.
    We, fans and friends of the Sonics, got screwed. And then to have David Stren make a comment like "if the city can come up with $300 million to fix up the Key, you get your team back." WT?? David Stern knows good and darn well that the Seattle legislature has spent the last year denying Bennett, McClendon and Stern this taxpayer money. That is adding insult to injury.

I am a little pissed at the NBA right now.

Saw a basketball once

I'm not even from Seattle and not even a Sonics fan, but this is disgusting. That team belongs in Seattle and to have them swindled out of that team to go to Oklahoma City of all places just sucks.

RIP.

Jersey to Brooklyn is next

Well................

Let s just hope now Stern and the NBA do put a franchise in Seattle with in the next 5 years or so. I feel bad for Sonic fans....but I know it will be a happy day when the franchise comes back to Seattle and yall will have a new stadium etc.

Keep your heads up Seattle fans.

And to OKC........welcome to the NBA.

Bennet should have to leave Kevin Durant in Seattle too.

Welcome to the New Age Raj Da Dodge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    reading is something go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Supersonics

go to the Relocation to Oklahoma City you will see the answers
    or better yet go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle..._Oklahoma_City
    Aite thank you for the article, I actually now understand what's going on and know what happened, so thanks:)

Welcome to the New Age Raj Da Dodge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSwift31
    The sonics have always had a bad lease on the Key Arena with Seattle. Howard Schultz, former owner, was losing too much money, and sold the team to Clay Bennett and a group from OKC. Clay promised to make a "good faith" effort to keep the team in Seattle. This "Good Faith" Effort consisted of complaining about the lease, getting Stern to deem the Key Arena unsuited to play basketball in, and propose a 100% Publicly funded arena in Renton, WA (South of Seattle). Seeing that this arena would cost $500 million, and not one cent would come from Bennett, it was shot down in the vote. To Bennett, this meant that Seattle wanted no part of the NBA. However, he still had a lease with Seattle until 2011 to use the Key Arena (From old ownership). Realizing the outrage that would come up if the city did nothing, the city sued Bennett for trying to break the lease early, trying to keep the team in Seattle for two more seasons (This trial). Today, the two sides settled out of court.

Howard Schultz also realized that Bennett never had any intention of keeping the Sonics in Seattle. He is now suing for Breach of contract, hoping to get the team back. This trial will probably start at the end of the summer (rough guess).
    aite thank you so much for explaining it to me, I actually now understand what's going on and what actually happened, thank u again:)

The Sonics were there for 41 seasons. Nothing is sacred in this league. I think they'll get another team though. It's a similar situation that happened to us in Charlotte.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo

Its a little rough...but I tried :)

edit - put in a new one, just a tiny bit different, blurred his hair a little more to match.

thanks-- it will be my new screensaver

I completely agree. Thats why I called Bennett's $500 million dollar, publicly funded arena a "good faith" effort which actually was just an excuse for him to get out of town. He knew that the proposal would be rejected, giving him a reason to leave. I'm not blaming the public for rejecting the offer, I'm mad at him for making an unreasonable offer.

Another amazing thing about all of this is that the league (Stern) said Key Arena was not suitable for an NBA team, and Bennet said renovating it would not be an option. Now that the team is gone, All we need to do is renovate Key Arena to get back on the NBA's radar. Stern said that the NBA could thrive in a renovated Key Arena, for just $75 Million public dollars (Still a lot, but reasonable). Why didn't you give us that option before you took our team, *******?
    because stern works for the nba owners; they all would like the type of leverage that bennett received from this whole charade

The sonics have always had a bad lease on the Key Arena with Seattle. Howard Schultz, former owner, was losing too much money, and sold the team to Clay Bennett and a group from OKC. Clay promised to make a "good faith" effort to keep the team in Seattle. This "Good Faith" Effort consisted of complaining about the lease, getting Stern to deem the Key Arena unsuited to play basketball in, and propose a 100% Publicly funded arena in Renton, WA (South of Seattle). Seeing that this arena would cost $500 million, and not one cent would come from Bennett, it was shot down in the vote. To Bennett, this meant that Seattle wanted no part of the NBA. However, he still had a lease with Seattle until 2011 to use the Key Arena (From old ownership). Realizing the outrage that would come up if the city did nothing, the city sued Bennett for trying to break the lease early, trying to keep the team in Seattle for two more seasons (This trial). Today, the two sides settled out of court.

Howard Schultz also realized that Bennett never had any intention of keeping the Sonics in Seattle. He is now suing for Breach of contract, hoping to get the team back. This trial will probably start at the end of the summer (rough guess).
    shultz could have gone forward with an injunction to have the trial earlier and force the sonics to remain in seattle if he thought that his own lawsuit had a reasonable chance. he did not do that because then he would be financially responsible for the losses incurred by the sonics if he lost the lawsuit

therefore, the shultz lawsuit will be next spring

most people dont give the lawsuit a snowball chance in hell to win

it is on the books so that shultz can try to save face here in seattle with the fans

he has bigger fish to fry with the losses that starbucks is facing now and the store closures. he really doesnt give a rat's ass about the sonics and the fans

boycott starbucks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lovethetriangle
    Sorry sonics fans. Must be like losing a family member.

You're welcome to jump on any team without being called bandwagoners.
    sherman alexie's quote was:

"there's death and divorce that are numbers one and two in terms of stress and grief-- and this is number three"

I feel terrible for Seattle and the fans of the SuperSonics