Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Last Lakers game was Elgin Baylor night. If you havent seen how good he was DO IT NOW

What a shame Wilt cost him a ring in '69.

[color=white]jk he sucked ass in the finals too[/color]

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: Last Lakers game was Elgin Baylor night. If you havent seen how good he was DO IT NOW

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Are you serious? Those are the exact hesitations that Baylor didnt do.
    you know nothing about hesitations or anything of the sort, and you obviously suck at basketball yourself

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    He only does that because he's a shit defender. Baylor makes no discernible motion that he is even thinking about pulling up for a jumshot.
    He was either anticipating a jumper or was attempting to deflect a possible pass to the cutter.

The defender probably thought his teammate was coming over to help with a double, but the cutter kept following his route, so he couldn't gamble on the double.

When Baylor sees daylight (the spacing created by the cutter) he switches directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    What a shame Wilt cost him a ring in '69.

[color=white]jk he sucked ass in the finals too[/color]
    Actually, it was West who cost him the ring. He was the offensive leader that VBK asked to score (with Baylor taking the second most shots), so that responsibility ultimately falls upon him. Had he scored more, they would have won that series.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjNS_oYE92E

Oscar Robertson and Bill Russell have both said he's the best player they've seen all-time. Multiple players like Worthy, Erving, Pettit, etc believe he's the best SF of all time. The footage shows, Baylor could do everything.

Every fan that went to the game received an Elgin Baylor jersey and Elgin was given another Lakers ring

http://www.multiplenews.com/news/2014/11/17/Baylor/

LA needs to get that man a statue. Father of the modern game. Saved the LA franchise with his style of play and fan draw. And one of the greatest to ever play.
    Excellent, as always.

Of course, as is the case with the other greats of that era, there is only a fraction of their careers available in video footage, and even much of that is skewed towards the ends of their careers. And, in Baylor's case, his explosiveness was ended in the first half of his career by a devastating knee injury. Despite that, he managed to play at an elite level for another few years after that.

In terms of peak play, Baylor's 61-63 seasons are among the greatest ever. And I always get a kick out of those that go out of their way to rip his near 20 rpg season as some kind of slap at his era and competition. Some 25-30 years later, a 6-5 Charles Barkley led the NBA in rpg, as well. Of course, the available rebounds in Baylor's era were considerably higher, but Elgin would have approached Barkley's numbers in Charles' era. Same with Jerry Lucas, who was a great rebounder at 6-8. His numbers would translate close to the 6-8 Kevin Love's in this era.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Overrated. West was much better.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    OP obsessed with players he never even witnessed. Creepy. Unless he's Steve Rogers.
    They used to say the same thing about Ken Burns

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    The artistry vid is also one that I made, but it's older and has less footage.

Here's the full play of that gif in real-time speed (the gif is in slow-motion in case these brilliant IQ trolls haven't figured it out) http://youtu.be/rjNS_oYE92E?t=3m48s

That move happens in a fraction of a second. Everyone laughing at the "closeout defense" would probably have failed to even move or register what happened in that amount of time there's just no chance in hell any defender could have reacted to Elgin properly given his repertoire of moves.
    I'd bet you've got hundreds of the same kinds of ridiculous posts on YT - digital kids that don't even know what film is, nor film speeds.... let alone that the old highlight stuff like this was ubiquitously in slow motion.

But really... could they know? Many of them never knew the world or even the internet before www
    Awesome clips as always!!

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Excellent, as always.

Of course, as is the case with the other greats of that era, there is only a fraction of their careers available in video footage, and even much of that is skewed towards the ends of their careers. And, in Baylor's case, his explosiveness was ended in the first half of his career by a devastating knee injury. Despite that, he managed to play at an elite level for another few years after that.

In terms of peak play, Baylor's 61-63 seasons are among the greatest ever. And I always get a kick out of those that go out of their way to rip his near 20 rpg season as some kind of slap at his era and competition. Some 25-30 years later, a 6-5 Charles Barkley led the NBA in rpg, as well. Of course, the available rebounds in Baylor's era were considerably higher, but Elgin would have approached Barkley's numbers in Charles' era. Same with Jerry Lucas, who was a great rebounder at 6-8. His numbers would translate close to the 6-8 Kevin Love's in this era.
    Great... not elite. There's a difference. The Pearl was always better on 1on1 offense as far as I ever saw - but I do believe, from my old friends many tales, that before the broken kneecap Baylor was unbelievably good.
    These little clips really are just crazy!!

One of the great Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    Great... not elite. There's a difference. The Pearl was always better on 1on1 offense as far as I ever saw - but I do believe, from my old friends many tales, that before the broken kneecap Baylor was unbelievably good.
    These little clips really are just crazy!!
    Agreed.

I don't recall much of a pre-injury Baylor. From the mid-60's on, he was still capable of scoring, but the explosiveness was gone.

Monroe's game would have translated very well into today's era. He is relatively an unknown on the forum. And it's a shame that there is only a fraction of his 60's footage available. He was another great argument to those that claim that the players of the 60's couldn't dribble.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    elgin's game and skill was unbelievably nuanced - he was GOAT at two-pointers (would have been great at 3's too) - his game used the widest range of two-point shots of anyone ever.

don't try this at home:

artistry of elgin baylor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANH50UrlQk8...
    LMFAO is this supposed to be impressive?

weak era confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    LMFAO is this supposed to be impressive?

weak era confirmed
    How about this era...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlsKE3IzlZk
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 11-18-2014 at 10:57 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year

Great Thread

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Except nobody is pointing to anyone one of those plays acting like it's some amazing move