Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Andrew Bynum: Kobe stunted my play

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/87...angeles-lakers

PHILADELPHIA -- Andrew Bynum played seven seasons with Kobe Bryant as his teammate before being traded to the Philadelphia 76ers this summer. He shared success with his fellow prep-to-pros product, making three NBA Finals, winning two championships and even both being named All-Stars last season.

But by the end of his time in L.A., Bynum felt that Bryant's ball-dominant ways hurt his development as one of the league's best centers.

"I thought it really helped me a lot obviously at first, because he draws so much attention it's hard for guys to double team and key on you, so it helped me tremendously," Bynum told a group of L.A. reporters before the Lakers played the Sixers on Sunday. "Later, I felt I was able to get the ball more and do more things with the ball, so I could definitely see how it could stunt growth."

Despite not logging a minute with his new team yet because of knee problems, Bynum still has a very high opinion of where he currently ranks among the game's big men.

"Personally I think they traded No. 1 for No. 2," Bynum said, referring to the Lakers acquiring the 27-year-old Dwight Howard as the major part of the four-team exchange that landed him in Philly.

The 25-year-old Bynum warned that Howard will have to get used to the balancing act of playing alongside Bryant.

"I think Dwight is a great player, but he's going to have to get accustomed to playing with Kobe and not touching the ball every single play," Bynum said.

Of course, Howard is getting the chance to make those adjustments by being on the court. He hasn't missed a game all season after undergoing back surgery in the offseason. Bynum, meanwhile, has yet to suit up for the Sixers but sounded optimistic about his health on Sunday.

"Actually I'm feeling better and the pain is down in both knees, which is good," Bynum said. "But, there could be something floating around in there."

Bynum has an MRI scheduled for Thursday in New York City to examine both of his knees. He said his right knee has improved considerably, but he is still feeling discomfort in his left one.

"The update really is I'm feeling much better, I would say, than the initial state of injury," Bynum said, detailing how he has been able to add shooting drills to his rehab process. "When I see the doctor, hopefully I will be cleared for impact."

Bynum has yet to be able to run, however.

"I'm going to have to work extremely hard to get back into form," said Bynum who also revealed that he wasn't sure if his offseason trip to Germany to receive Orthokine therapy helped him or hurt him. "Obviously I've been off for quite some time now. It's kind of ridiculous. But, I'm just looking forward to getting back on the treadmill and running for the first time this entire summer."

Bynum could still not pinpoint the exact stress that caused his knees to become hurt in the offseason, noting that whatever happened came during his regular offseason training regimen.

"I don't think it was avoidable," Bynum said. "I just think it's something I have to go through."

While Bynum has been sidelined, he's paid attention to the struggles of his former team. However, the only teammate he's kept in touch with is Pau Gasol and he also hasn't spoken to Howard since the trade.

"They're just struggling," Bynum said of the Lakers' 10-14 start to the season. "They got injuries and they're not posting the ball, so, that's tough too."

Bynum wasn't done there.

"They got to make a commitment to defense, No. 1, and No. 2, I think they're going to have to post the ball within a system that's going to do that," he said. "Obviously the talent is there to win a championship from a starter's point of view, anyway. I think they struggle a little bit off the bench, so that kind of hurts, too."

Bynum said he has "no regrets" about the path that led him out of L.A. He added "my time is done there" and that the location of where he plays isn't as important to him as him being healthy enough to allow him to play.

"It doesn't really matter to me where I play as long as I get to," Bynum said.

The Lakers play the Sixers again New Year's Day, so it is very unlikely Bynum will get the opportunity to play against the only other team he's played for in his eight-year career.

"You want to play against your old team always," Bynum said. "It's just a shame. I don't know when I'll be back. I guess I'm just excited to play any game at this point."
    Thoughts?

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Andrew Bynum: Kobe stunted my play

More misleading headlines from the media. Yawn.

Being a number 2 option behind one of the all time greats and winning two rings is not being stunted.

Dont take his quote out of context or anything, OP.

raep tiem

LA excuse: Kobe stunted my play
    Philly excuse: Bowling stunted my play

What's better?

Learning to shoot layups

OP trying to trollolololol.

Bynum just saying Kobe too good he gets doubled every time so Bynum gets more easier looks so you might get spoiled to that and not playing to full potential.

basically all he's saying is that he didn't get as many touches because he was playing with a ball dominant player. not exactly news

McMenamin is a sensationalist

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by dabulls23
    OP trying to trollolololol.

Bynum just saying Kobe too good he gets doubled every time so Bynum gets more easier looks so you might get spoiled to that and not playing to full potential.

What I posted was just an article from ESPN.

This is an example of a troll thread:
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=284354

Very good NBA starter

I found,his comments about Dwight more slap in the face.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

With the various amounts of articles written on the same subject and interviews available to us on the web nowadays, I've seen how someone can take something and make it seem like something else.

To me, this seems like Bynum was asked something like "It seems to me like Kobe may have stunted your growth, would you agree with this?"

And then Bynum responded by at first actually complimenting Kobe, and then he said something to confirm what the questioner said about the growth stunting and basically said "and then later on i felt like if i had the ball more i could do some great things with it...so yeah i guess it could have stunted my growth".

Not that bad.

Now the quote about him feeling the Lakers traded number 1 for number 2 is kinda crazy and bold, especially for someone who may have a Greg Oden like career with injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
    I found,his comments about Dwight more slap in the face.
    This.

How is he going to claim the Lakers traded away #1 for #2? Bynum has yet to suit up for a game, while D12 hasn't missed a single game this season, even after having back surgery.

so many butt hurt fans immediately coming into the thread

LOL at the Laker's fan. You guys are so pathetic.

Here is a guy who has played with Kobe pretty much his entire career and he is simply making an observation of what he sees based on his first hand experience with playing with Kobe.

And he is right. Kobe does not make the guys around him better. He is a ball hog and does not focus his energies on the most essential element of winning: team ball.

Don't judge the man; he's been on the court with Kobe. Most of you have not, so your opinion is not as valid as his.