Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Would decreasing playoff games be better?

As you probably know, or don't, first round series used to be only 5 games, now they are 7.

This was clearly used to milk advertising revenue, but what's the point?

Imo, the NBA should have only 5 games for first round and semis, it would allow for more upsets.

It's pretty much impossible for a low seed to beat a higher seed in 7 games in the first round.

By having fewer games, and you could have 5 only in semis too, you'd have a much better chance of lower seeded teams creating upsets.

Default Re: Would decreasing playoff games be better?

Agreed. Best of 5 in the first round was best

Tolerant Liberals

This would never go through but the first round would be much more exciting if it did

Banned

If 1st rounds was a best of 7 series back in the 80's then Jordan would've been 1-12 instead of 1-9

NBA lottery pick

It's stupid to risk better teams losing in the early rounds. It both makes the later rounds less enjoyable for fans, but it hurts that the nba is one of the only sports leagues with a true champion at the end.

They should all be bo5's. In the NFL you get 1 damn game. You better bring it. None of this "we just didn't have the energy tonight" BS. I don't want to see a bo7 in a lopsided matchup. Now if it were a bo5 or bo3, the upset potential becomes more real and the games become more exciting.

College superstar brooks_thompson's Avatar

I really miss the 5-game first round series. You didn't see any more upsets than we have with the 7-game system (based on 8-1 matchups only, Nuggets-Sonics and Knicks-Heat 5-game era vs. Warriors-Mavs and Grizzlies-Spurs 7-game era).

The best team was still more likely to win out, but that slimmer margin for error really gave the underdogs a little extra incentive to make the playoffs instead of tank. And honestly, I think every fanbase of the lesser teams in the 5-game scenario would be happier to see their team upset and make it to the second round than for them to get a lottery pick. The playoffs are exciting, period, as a sports fan.
    Last edited by brooks_thompson; 12-09-2015 at 08:29 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
    I really miss the 5-game first round series. You didn't see any more upsets than we have with the 7-game system (based on 8-1 matchups only, Nuggets-Sonics and Knicks-Heat 5-game era vs. Warriors-Mavs and Grizzlies-Spurs 7-game era).

The best team was still more likely to win out, but that slimmer margin for error really gave the underdogs a little extra incentive to make the playoffs instead of tank. And honestly, I think every fanbase of the lesser teams in the 5-game scenario would be happier to see their team upset and make it to the second round than for them to get a lottery pick. The playoffs are exciting, period, as a sports fan.
    This guy gets it.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    It's stupid to risk better teams losing in the early rounds. It both makes the later rounds less enjoyable for fans, but it hurts that the nba is one of the only sports leagues with a true champion at the end.
    The chance for upsets, heroics and underdog luck is all part of sports mythology. Soccer has two games and no one complains.

Best of 5s in the first round for sure.

NBA lottery pick

Horrible timing to make this thread. We're, what? A post season or two removed from a GOAT tier 1st round with like 7+ 7 game series? Try remaking this thread in a few more seasons at least. Mod should delete this thread for the abysmal timing alone.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat
    The chance for upsets, heroics and underdog luck is all part of sports mythology. Soccer has two games and no one complains.
    Some people like reality tv. They're wrong but that's what they are. I want to see the best team win and I want to know in the playoffs that was the best team. injuries sadly jade us a bit, but why not just do some shitty single elimination everyone gets in tourney like college if you want upsets? Seriously, it's awful. There's no reason I hate soccer more than how much random luck goes into the final outcomes between close competition. It's just an awful product. Football is the only sport at the pro level where the better team wins at a reasonable enough clip.

But hey, I want to see the best teams play and want them to go to war. There is just NOTHING better than a well played 7 game series in basketball in any sport. NOTHING! I'll take watching two teams give it their all for 7 games anyday over a team getting lucky to add "excitement" to the damn mouth breathers of the world.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Spurs5Rings2014
    Horrible timing to make this thread. We're, what? A post season or two removed from a GOAT tier 1st round with like 7+ 7 game series? Try remaking this thread in a few more seasons at least. Mod should delete this thread for the abysmal timing alone.

Very true, that clippers spurs series was the best first round series I can remember. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of them, but that was just amazing. Watching Chris Paul overcome the worst coach in the nba and still winning a playoff series against a spurs team many felt was the second best team in the nba. It was amazing.

NBA Legend

I'd rather shorten the regular season and leave the playoffs. Yeah, there are some horrible first round series occasionally. But you can just ignore them. You still get 50+ win teams paired up in the playoffs at times. That's when the 7 game series are worth it.

Local High School Star

you know what i miss more? b2b games. they have completely done away with it. now theres at least one day in between, sometimes 2 and 3. a seven game series can take up to 2 weeks. it stretches the playoffs out so freaking long.