Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman game3524's Avatar

Default Re: 96-98 Jordan vs 08-10 Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by gengiskhan
    This.

One thing Kobe'tards will never admit.

Kobe seriously LACKS the ultimate mastery of the Game. Kobe can copy some of MJ but that just dont mean he can be that great without ultimate mastery of inside game & outside game & triangle offense.

Magic competely Mastered the Art of PG position & expanded it.

Bird was ultimate Master as positioning himself on the court & play without Bball in his hand.

Kobe is a cheaper immitator at best.

Not really.

The only thing that separates Bryant from Jordan is athleticism. Jordan was a freakish athlete and had cat quickness, which helped him get higher percentage shots.

It's pretty damn sad that people try to disparage Kobe's name even though he's a legend himself, just to prop up Jordan. It is uber close, it can go either way. You cant tell me that 2010 Kobe lighting up the suns didnt remind you of MJ.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PowerGlove
    It's pretty damn sad that people try to disparage Kobe's name even though he's a legend himself, just to prop up Jordan. It is uber close, it can go either way. You cant tell me that 2010 Kobe lighting up the suns didnt remind you of MJ.
    this. I hate Jordan Stans. Not even a huge Kobe fan I just hate those phaggets

Root Of All Evil

gengiskhan ... you're being an ass clown. 2008 - 2010 Kobe is very much in the debate with 1996 - 1998 Jordan. You acting like there is no case to be made makes you a pathetic homer. Not realizing this comparison alone proves MJ's greatness and superiority. Kobe's absolute 3 best and most accomplished years in his prime are DEBATABLE at being better than MJ in the twighlight of his career from 33 - 35 years old. SMH ... what an idiot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PowerGlove
    Yeah. When you get called both a Kobe hater and Kobe Homer all the time is when you know you're right, lol.

Yet, '08 Kobe FAILED to win Finals MVP & Pierce whoopped his ass.
    Yet, '08 Kobe FAILED to win scoring titles.

1996 MJ swept NBA MVP that year.
    1998 MJ swept NBA MVP again.
    & 3 more scoring titles.
    By that line of reasoning, 2010 Kobe was better then 2010 Lebron. Kobe in 2008 was at or close to his peak, He was a better defender then Jordan at that point, and their offensive games was pretty much a wash.

Also, who gives a shit about scoring titles, Kobe had much better offensive support in 2008, he didn't need to win the award and if he wanted to he could have averaged 30-32 ppg.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

This.

One thing Kobe'tards will never admit.

Kobe seriously LACKS the ultimate mastery of the Game. Kobe can copy some of MJ but that just dont mean he can be that great without ultimate mastery of inside game & outside game & triangle offense.

Magic competely Mastered the Art of PG position & expanded it.

Bird was ultimate Master as positioning himself on the court & play without Bball in his hand.

Kobe is a cheaper immitator at best.
    I have defended and praised Kobe for his willingness to dare aspire at being better than MJ. I have defended and praised Kobe time and time again when comparing Bron and others to him. I have given him the highest compliment any player can get when I state that he's the closest to MJ as far as 'skills set'.

But that's all Kobe is= Jordan 'lite'

He has some of MJ's skills, but not as polished and at the same level of 'consistency'. If MJ is a 9.5 in a certain skill, Kobe is an 8 (depending on what we're talking about).

But where Kobe lacks the most (and this is significant) is in the IQ department.

Lawdy is he far behind in this department.

MJ is clearly a 10, Kobe is a 5.

And this takes away from all of the other aspects in his game. MJ wasn't perfect, but he knew how to maximize his strengths while not letting his opponents exploit his weaknesses. Kobe on the other hand is the opposite. There's a huge reason why his stats aren't as impressive as MJ's (although impressive on their own right), and that's because he has never come close to MJ's overall mastery of the game.

There's an interview with MJ where he states that physically, Wade, Bron and Kobe would beat him. But when it comes to the mental aspects, it's not even close.... and he's right.

Some cats here are too young or too dumb (sorry, but it's true) to understand this very important aspect. And that's what I believe takes Kobe notches down from even being equal to MJ, let alone better.

Troll who tries to provoke you

Lightbulb Re: 96-98 Jordan vs 08-10 Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by game3524
    2010 Kobe was better then 2010 Lebron
    Lebron was clearly better in 2010. Lebron stats were suprior to kobe. & Lebron won NBA MVP over kobe. BTW, you should know kobe's finals performance in 2010 against celtics. I dont need to remind you.

Kobe in 2008 was at or close to his peak, He was a better defender then Jordan at that point.
    Kobe was never a better defender than MJ till 1998. Infact, it was never close. MJ was alltime great defender. Kobe is a good solid defender. MJ is multiple times steals leader, blockshots leader by Guard etc etc. too much ownage. Only pippen, payton & rodman can be compared with MJ.

Kobe is a good solid perimeter defender. Never in the league of MJ. HINT: Kobe stuggles to finish in Top 5 steals list.

Also, who gives a shit about scoring titles, Kobe had much better offensive support in 2008
    Kobe cannot win scoring title without being a complete shot jocker. we all know that. So Better '08 kobe supporting cast got him the NBA MVP. Yet, Kobe with better supporting cast got his arse whipped by pierce in the Finals.

You answered the original Question.

No Kobe version is Equal to or Better than 1984-1998 MJ. NONE.

This

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    gengiskhan ... you're being an ass clown. 2008 - 2010 Kobe is very much in the debate with 1996 - 1998 Jordan. You acting like there is no case to be made makes you a pathetic homer. Not realizing this comparison alone proves MJ's greatness and superiority. Kobe's absolute 3 best and most accomplished years in his prime are DEBATABLE at being better than MJ in the twighlight of his career from 33 - 35 years old. SMH ... what an idiot.
    If one looks solely at the stats then maybe a case can be made.

But the stats only tell part of the picture.

Kobe has never been on the same level that MJ has, period. And it's deeper than just stats, skills set, etc.etc.

One thing to remember is, when Kobe was in his supposed prime, he was never the athlete MJ was. He didn't have the post up game that he has now, he wasn't as good a leader (improved yes, but never the leader he is now... and even today he aint on MJ's level), and he has never been (still isn't) close to having MJ's IQ.

Mj is regarded as the GOAT by the majority because he was the sum of all things that one can think of. He was a frankenstein of a player, created from all aspects one would come up with to make the ideal player. Kobe has some of them but always lacks some of them at any given point in time.

I definately would take 96-98 MJ over Bryant. I firmly believe that jordan at this stage was a complete and unstopable basketball player. He obviously wasn't quite the athlete he was in the begining of his career, but he learned how to utilize the talents of the rest of his team. Which made him much more unguardable.

Kobe still hasn't evolved to this point. It seemes to me that he was going to do it in the beginning of the season when he played within the flow of the game. And the lakers were unstopable. But once talk began that pau gasol was the early favorite for mvp, it seemed kobe took it on himslef to reassert his role on the team and thus hurt the lakers. His immaturity in this respect is what hurts his case over jordan

Oh please, you Jordan stans are getting ridiculous. The difference between Kobe and Jordan is not basketball IQ, it is athleticism and physical attributes . Jordan WAS a freakish athlete and was cat quick. Kobe is a great athlete himself, but he isn't on Jordan's level that department.

Phil has even said that Bryant is more skilled then Jordan, but MJ had the advantage when it came to the physical attributes(Bigger hands, stronger upper body).

Troll who tries to provoke you

Lightbulb Re: 96-98 Jordan vs 08-10 Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    There is no real case.

in all honesty.

Kobe just FAILED to sweep MVP in single season. MJ did it TWICE.

Kobe FAILED to lead any catagory in '08-'10. MJ did it THRICE & continued to be Playoff leader as well in 1996-1998.

If MJs 1996 finals MVP win is WEAK. So is Kobe's '10 Finals MVP over celtics.

MJ 1996-1998 became an unltimate master of the Game, He expanded it, reinvented it so that it can be copied by or SG like Kobe.

'08-'10 Kobe despite playing with dominant big men in his team cannot EQUAL MJ.

Besides Orlando finals, Kobe's Finals stats are average considering the rules he played under.

Banned

Mostly All Of These Jordan Stans Come From Bruce Blitz Cult.

Samurai Swoosh Is The Only One Who Isnt Brainwashed

Lebron was clearly better in 2010. Lebron stats were suprior to kobe. & Lebron won NBA MVP over kobe. BTW, you should know kobe's finals performance in 2010 against celtics. I dont need to remind you.

Kobe was never a better defender than MJ till 1998. Infact, it was never close. MJ was alltime great defender. Kobe is a good solid defender. MJ is multiple times steals leader, blockshots leader by Guard etc etc. too much ownage. Only pippen, payton & rodman can be compared with MJ.

Kobe is a good solid perimeter defender. Never in the league of MJ. HINT: Kobe stuggles to finish in Top 5 steals list.

Kobe cannot win scoring title without being a complete shot jocker. we all know that. So Better '08 kobe supporting cast got him the NBA MVP. Yet, Kobe with better supporting cast got his arse whipped by pierce in the Finals.

You answered the original Question.

No Kobe version is Equal to or Better than 1984-1998 MJ. NONE.

This
    1. I agree that Bron was better then Bryant in 2010, my point in using him as an example was to point out the stupidity of taking 96-98 Jordan over 2008 Bryant duo to team success.

2. Bryant was a better defender in 2008 then Jordan was in 96-98, 2008 was one of Kobe's best defensive years, in fact his best year since the 3-peat days. Jordan still had the smarts, but Bryant was the better athlete at that point which gives him the edge.

3. Jordan averaged 22 shots per a game from 96-98, Bryant averaged 20 shots per a game. Kobe could have one the scoring title in 2008 on the same amount of shots MJ took from 96-98 if he wanted to, but he dialed it back to fit in more with the team.

Jordan is the greatest player of all-time, no question about it. But some of you need to get his dick out of your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by game3524
    Oh please, you Jordan stans are getting ridiculous. The difference between Kobe and Jordan is not basketball IQ, it is athleticism and physical attributes . Jordan WAS a freakish athlete and was cat quick. Kobe is a great athlete himself, but he isn't on Jordan's level that department.

Phil has even said that Bryant is more skilled then Jordan, but MJ had the advantage when it came to the physical attributes(Bigger hands, stronger upper body).
    You clearly don't understand basketball.

MJ isn't MJ because he was a freakish athlete. Yes, it was 'a' factor, but not THE factor. If Mj just had skills and athleticism he would've still been great, but not as great legendary as he became. MJ became legendary because he had a very high basketball IQ. He knew how to use his gifts to his advantage, he knew how to exploit his defenders, he knew how to control the game in every aspect etc.etc.

During a TNT tribute, Kenny and Magic alluded to this.

His drive, athleticism, skills, can all very well be crippled if he doesn't have the high IQ that he has. It's a very underrated aspect of one's game, but also very essential.

I can go on the court and still be very effective against younger competition even tho I'm older and haven't played the game in a decade. Because my iq on the court will allow me to do that, even tho my athleticism has faded into obscurity. Kobe till this day makes rookie mistakes, at times I just at him.