Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: This album from 90>>> almost anything today

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    All these people taking shots at me are going to look kind of stupid when I blow up.
    Let's make a track.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    you know i'm playing

3:05 PM lol
    It's already past your bed time dude... you won't get in trouble? You have school tomorrow dude.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Let's make a track.
    Go ahead. I'll rap over it if it's up to my standard.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    I said "almost anything", there are a few exceptions here and there. But it speaks volumes when an album 20 years old is better than damn near everything today.

One would think that as time went on rapping as an art evolved and technology made production superior.

We actually saw the art of rapping improve in the 90s and early 2k (very early). Production leveled off and perhaps dropped a bit (from a a technical standpoint that is) since this album was released.

As an example check out TI butcher this Kane classic:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBT2mLIsy8M

Horrible delivery, timing, flow, stamina and it wasn't even a hard song to perform.

Then Black Thought shows us how it's done.

Again, those song are from the 80s.
    Agreed, rap has turned into pure money making, the quality has dropped immensely, smh

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

All these people taking shots at me are going to look kind of stupid when I blow up.

gotta love your attitude though

Quote Originally Posted by Black and White
    Agreed, rap has turned into pure money making, the quality has dropped immensely, smh
    Even when rap was at it's best (90s) it was about money. I think that the difference is the 'art' of rap or the art of being a dope MC isn't the priority.

So yeah, I agree that it's purely about the money being it's the main and at times the only objective. I remember dudes rapped because they wanted to prove how dope they were, being a star or becoming rich wasn't even a thought.

Not to say that there isn't cats out there that don't do it for the love. It's just that the environment is completely different overall.

Quote Originally Posted by RightToCensor
    Yeezus >
    I like Yeezus conceptually, I think production was a step in the right direction (something I've been doing for years tho). It was a bold commercial album that I applaud and admire Ye for doing.

But having said all that, he still can't rap.

Production is good but production on the album I posted is still slightly better (although I personally prefer Yeezus' production, objectively speaking Bomb Squad's is better tho).

Ye is a weak rapper, always has been.

Bad flow, average rhyming (at best), just not a good MCee per se. Specially when compared to Cube who is a master at rhyming, delivery, flow.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Even when rap was at it's best (90s) it was about money. I think that the difference is the 'art' of rap or the art of being a dope MC isn't the priority.

So yeah, I agree that it's purely about the money being it's the main and at times the only objective. I remember dudes rapped because they wanted to prove how dope they were, being a star or becoming rich wasn't even a thought.

Not to say that there isn't cats out there that don't do it for the love. It's just that the environment is completely different overall.
    Also the audience has changed a lot too, the demographic that pays/provides the most money don't appreciate rap for what it was, it's all about how it sounds which is why they all have that "pop" flavour to them, see Drake, Chris Brown (and the people that appear on his songs) etc.

Underrated album from 1990, Poor Righteous Teachers Holy Intellect.

2nd best LP after Cube's is Mama Said Knock You Out then it''s Tribe Called Quest.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

But it speaks volumes when an album 20 years old is better than damn near everything today.
    Not really. You could pick the best albums of any time period and its better than damn near everything from any other era....because most music is crap in any era.

My people and I have been known to throw out a Once Upon A Time in the Projects reference here and there. I have nothing negative to say about the album or pre "You can do it" cube in general.

Im just saying....

Freddie Gibbs has mixtapes better than 95% of what I bought at the flea market and in stores 20 years ago.

Lot of garbage ass early 90s releases were in my collection at one point. I had Phantom of the Rapra....

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    rap is better now then it ever was

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Not really. You could pick the best albums of any time period and its better than damn near everything from any other era....because most music is crap in any era.

My people and I have been known to throw out a Once Upon A Time in the Projects reference here and there. I have nothing negative to say about the album or pre "You can do it" cube in general.

Im just saying....

Freddie Gibbs has mixtapes better than 95% of what I bought at the flea market and in stores 20 years ago.

Lot of garbage ass early 90s releases were in my collection at one point. I had Phantom of the Rapra....
    Who's garbage from the early 90s besides Biz Markie and Tone Loc, lol?

The most famous rappers that come to mind were not garbage....as is the case now though many act like eveyone who ever went platinum cant rap.

But most of what was out there just wasnt good.

Im not gonna search google for album names to shit I remember playing once and never again when I was a teenager. But it was quite a lot. Before the internet it was hit or miss. You didnt hear the album till one of your friends had it.

Led to a number of poor purchases when id hear one song I liked.

That was always music. Id say music was better in my moms day...least the singers were. She still had cases of records she didnt even like that id play now and then and see why.

Most music is always ass.

I do remember buying a Digital Underground mixtape in Augusta georgia in the early 90s....it was around the time Humpty Dance came out. I didnt get it for that but dude who was selling it had some song playing I did like.

Shit was garbage. I only remember because I let my cousin in Augusta keep it when we left.

It wasnt a "real" album but some dj tape on digital underground...which was fairly common at the time.