Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: You have to choose one person to guard prime Dirk w/ 3 secs. left in the game

Peak Pippen

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: You have to choose one person to guard prime Dirk w/ 3 secs. left in the game

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMax
    Nick Collison
    Good choice. He always gave him problems.

Very good NBA starter

I believe rodman would had defended dirk pretty well. dirk mostly had trouble with smaller and physical defenders. the game plan is to not even let him get the ball. Kg didn't defend him like that. and dirk just shot over him all day.

KG?

Raped in playoffs, and here, scenario OP is talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKiON_H9ra0

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    Dirk has absolutely raped peak KG time after time.

Especially 01-02. Dirk swept KG and dropped 33.3/15.7 on 53/73/90

but okay, he wouldn't have gotten a shot off.. sure.
    KG wasn't guarding him. And KG held Dirk down the majority of his prime when he did guard him.

Probably prime Artest.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Stephen Jackson

5-time NBA All-Star

Tmac really gave Dirk problems in the playoffs. I don't understand how Bowen didn't do a better job given the problems Tmac and Stephen Jackson gave him.

Pippen in his prime would have been the best.

Bill Russell.

I've got footage of him Blocking Wilt's fade-away face up without any help defense. Wilt faded further and released his shot from higher up even than Dirk's. It's a shot that is not going to be blocked in most situations, even if a small guard shoots it let alone a big. But if there's one guy that had a fighting chance to smother that shot one on one, it's definitely Russell. He's the only player I've seen block that shot on more than one occasion and one of those times like I said, was against Wilt so he's probably got the best shot at pushing that ball back in Dirks face.

a fully committed to defense LeBron

College superstar

Rodman would get under his skin i think.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    KG wasn't guarding him. And KG held Dirk down the majority of his prime when he did guard him.

came here to post this after reading TLP's post.. surprised it took so long for somebody to speak up on this

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    came here to post this after reading TLP's post.. surprised it took so long for somebody to speak up on this
    Only seen games 1 and 3 of the series, but Garnett guarded Dirk on a number of possessions

The other times he was pitched between the elbow and the three-point line, or guarding Finley (who shot a 50/50/93 himself).

Garnett was in his athletic prime in 02. I've seen a lot people excuse his defense on Dirk and Finley that series because "he had to guard everyone", but he should have started by trying to shut down the guy who'd end up averaging 33/16/.689 TS% on his team.

If you want to stop Dirk for one shot, you pick an athletic SF/PF bruiser, ala Artest or Rodman.
    Last edited by T_L_P; 04-06-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Tmac really gave Dirk problems in the playoffs. I don't understand how Bowen didn't do a better job given the problems Tmac and Stephen Jackson gave him.

Pippen in his prime would have been the best.
    Tmac didn't give dirk any more problems than Jackson did. The truth is no one player has ever bothered dirk much. Like most great scorers it takes a team defense to guard dirk.

The person Iv seen give him the most problems is honestly thiago splitter. Dirk she obviously been older since he's been in the league but dirk has consistently struggled against splitter.

Dirk owned kg.

Stephen Jackson of course