Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Players who played under tremendous pressure

Has any player in NBA history had as much pressure to deliver as bron did? He was crowned a GOAT candidate while still in highschool. Nike did their part hyping him up spreading slogans like witness and chosen1. In miami every single interview, action, and bad play at the end of a game was hyper-scrutinized.

People claim that mental toughness isn't a strong suit of his but I couldn't disagree more. Coming back from the 2011 finals collapse the way he did with two consecutive MVPs and championships - that is the definition of mental toughness.

While I am not the biggest fan of his playstyle, I also respect kobe for the way that he kept it together while being falsely accused of rape and the way he overcame it. Can you imagine how irritating it must be to have the media on your case 24/7 for that shit?

I honestly think that was the fuel that drove him to win two more championships. The motivation from that situation and the desire to prove the media wrong about not being able to win without shaq - that is the reason why he DID eventually win without him.

Default Re: Players who played under tremendous pressure

Good thread

Only athlete that comes close to mind on Lebrons scale is Ray Lewis pressure after he beat his murder case, took years of fan hatred/media hatred then went on to win a SB, accolades, HOF'r and turned into a role model/inspiration in ppls eyes

Tiger Woods after his hooker accusations but never renewed himself from the pressure

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    He hasn't had any pressures out of the ordinary for a NBA All-Star, he just has not handled it very well.
    Moving forward, let's not compare curry to kobe. I knew that Curry was being overrated this season and I knew it was a mistake to put him on the class of players like MJ/LBJ and even Kobe. He just isn't in their class.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy
    Good thread

Only athlete that comes close to mind on Lebrons scale is Ray Lewis pressure after he beat his murder case, took years of fan hatred/media hatred then went on to win a SB, accolades, HOF'r and turned into a role model/inspiration in ppls eyes

Tiger Woods after his hooker accusations but never renewed himself from the pressure
    The most pressure athletes faced is probably long ago. Jackie Robinson facing all kinds of racial hatred and death threats while having the pressure of being a source of pride to the black community.

Joe Louis being asked to be the symbol for America in World War 2 against Max Schmeling because Schmeling was German and a symbol for Nazis (even though he was not one). Even the President basically told Louis face-to-face that he was counting on him to win the fight for America.

You also have all these athletes facing death threats. Mitch Williams screwed up in a World Series game and had these death threats, he didn't sleep one night because he stayed up all night with a pistol in his hand because he was worried someone who come to kill him. Luckily no one did, although Williams messed up again, they lost the series, and he got his house vandalized and eventually moved.

What is wrong with people?

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer Bell
    The most pressure athletes faced is probably long ago. Jackie Robinson facing all kinds of racial hatred and death threats while having the pressure of being a source of pride to the black community.

Joe Louis being asked to be the symbol for America in World War 2 against Max Schmeling because Schmeling was German and a symbol for Nazis (even though he was not one). Even the President basically told Louis face-to-face that he was counting on him to win the fight for America.

You also have all these athletes facing death threats. Mitch Williams screwed up in a World Series game and had these death threats, he didn't sleep one night because he stayed up all night with a pistol in his hand because he was worried someone who come to kill him. Luckily no one did, although Williams messed up again, they lost the series, and he got his house vandalized and eventually moved.

Yes, well thought

I wasnt even thinking outside the box like that

Boxing - the pressure being such an individual sport, physical endurance/training all for one fight every 3-6 months, the challenge to be undefeated or never amount to much, possible mob gambling influence

International Soccer - representing your entire country - its the only sport they have, every person from little kids to grandparents can recognize you - mobs of crowds/paparazzi, death threats and stalkers

What else?

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer Bell

I was thinking more along the lines of pressure to win in the NBA. These are all good though. Been meaning to watch the jackie robinson movie for years now.

D'Angelo Russel since day 1 he was doomed. LA? Star potential? Scandal? He's gonna surpass all that BS and become a visionary PG.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Not NBA but field-goal/extra point kickers in Football must play under immense pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    He hasn't had any pressures out of the ordinary for a NBA All-Star, he just has not handled it very well.
    Yeah, every NBA All-Star was a household name at age 18. Every NBA All-Star has had cameras/media following him and documenting damn near every breath the man took since age 16. Every NBA All-Star plays for his hometown team trying to bring them their first professional championship in over 50 years. Every All-Star gets comparisons to MJ before even stepping on an NBA court. LeBron's just another typical All-Star.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Lebron, granted some of it self inflicted

Kobe

Everyone else.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

If we are talking just strictly modern basketball players (post-1980), I'd say LeBron and Jordan are the two that were under that kind of intense scrutiny to win titles.

You have to be old enough to remember it and to have lived through it, but there was a time when Jordan was referred to as the greatest individual player in the NBA who was not capable of leading a team to a championship.

He was clearly a different kind of athlete almost the second he stepped on the court as a rookie. His second season, which was almost completely lost due to injury, ended with him going toe-to-toe with one of the greatest teams of all-time (1986 Celtics) and scoring 63 points in an overtime loss. The Bulls were swept and so the intense pressure began.

From that point forward, every season Jordan was ousted from the playoffs, the whispers got louder.

I guess the difference is, LeBron's scrutiny started when he was a sophomore in high school. His junior year, Akron SVSM lost to Roger Bacon High School in the OHSAA State Final and LeBron was thrashed for it (he didn't play up to his high standards in the Final).

As we know, that spotlight followed him through his first eight years in the league before he finally got one. And, I might argue that the crowd wasn't truly silenced until a little over a month ago ... when he won a championship for Cleveland, not while playing on the Goliath he helped build in Miami.

If you go outside of basketball, there is a list of athletes who've faced greater or an equal amount of pressure to win championships. Team sports help ease some of that burden, even for the LeBrons and MJs of the world.

When you're out there by yourself, it's a different kind of pressure. That being said, LeBron has answered the bell while being under the kind of microscope I don't think many people would be able to handle.

Like him or not, his ability to play basketball under that burning spotlight is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    If we are talking just strictly modern basketball players (post-1980), I'd say LeBron and Jordan are the two that were under that kind of intense scrutiny to win titles.

You have to be old enough to remember it and to have lived through it, but there was a time when Jordan was referred to as the greatest individual player in the NBA who was not capable of leading a team to a championship.

He was clearly a different kind of athlete almost the second he stepped on the court as a rookie. His second season, which was almost completely lost due to injury, ended with him going toe-to-toe with one of the greatest teams of all-time (1986 Celtics) and scoring 63 points in an overtime loss. The Bulls were swept and so the intense pressure began.

From that point forward, every season Jordan was ousted from the playoffs, the whispers got louder.

I guess the difference is, LeBron's scrutiny started when he was a sophomore in high school. His junior year, Akron SVSM lost to Roger Bacon High School in the OHSAA State Final and LeBron was thrashed for it (he didn't play up to his high standards in the Final).

As we know, that spotlight followed him through his first eight years in the league before he finally got one. And, I might argue that the crowd wasn't truly silenced until a little over a month ago ... when he won a championship for Cleveland, not while playing on the Goliath he helped build in Miami.

If you go outside of basketball, there is a list of athletes who've faced greater or an equal amount of pressure to win championships. Team sports help ease some of that burden, even for the LeBrons and MJs of the world.

When you're out there by yourself, it's a different kind of pressure. That being said, LeBron has answered the bell while being under the kind of microscope I don't think many people would be able to handle.

Like him or not, his ability to play basketball under that burning spotlight is impressive.
    You would argue that because that's clear as day. His haters did everything they could to discredit his two rings, but it's almost impossible to do now.

Jesse Owens? Dont know much about him, but just saw a trailer lol....

I didn't like LeBron before because he seemed prematurely crowned when he didn't achieve anything yet, glad to see what he has become. In terms of the modern era I think its him.